Few questions regarding paint

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmg5h

Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
Hi guys

My last build was a Reverse Flow Smoker which turned out great. Now I am wanting to build the gravity feed smoker. I am starting to try and make plans and continuing looking at the other builds on this site. Y'all are some great welders and have some good looking cookers, but there is one thing I am wanting on this next build and that is a bet paint finish. The one on my reverse flow is alright, but nothing compared to the high sheen and professional quality look some of y'all have. So, How do you all do it? Spray on? Roll on? Taken to someone else? Also, where this next build is going to be fully insulated does it have to be a high temp paint? or Can it be just a plain high gloss plaint? Does it matter since a lot of the heat wont transfer? Probably a lot of questions but hopefully someone can sum it up shortly.

Thanks

Dave

Sorry I am just now getting back to you....thanks for the advice and everything.... never thought about doing the insides...makes sense....thank you so much!

OK, I will try to get across something I discovered few years ago, for "High" temp uses, including wood firebox

I had fantastic finish from sandblasting, solvent wiping, and spray can Rustoleum High Heat.

BUT - Here is my point.......

Rustoleum has two VERY different looking high temp bbq sprays.

At least they did 6 yrs ago.

I do not remember the two different product names.

One is dead flat ugly ass dry looking like a DRY slate chalkboard.

REALLY ugly sheen.

But the other, is GORGEOUS.

VERY rich black matte finish.

Like a WET chalkboard.

AND seems to last very well, even on wood firebox.

I do not know which was which now, so I recommend just pick up one can and try on scrap.

Make sure you observe their time window on recoats, or will wrinkle or have bad sheen.

I LOVED the stuff.

As long as you are a competant sprayer, it will be beautiful. Marc

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky