Ferrel Pig?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeamotive

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Lees Summit Mo.
In the last year Ferrel pigs have moved into the area that me and my buddies hunt with appartently---a vengence. I even got a shot at a 200+ lb boar last fall but unfortunatly I missed. With the season open year round on these buggers and a hunting trip coming up next month there's some things I'd like to find out.

How doe's wild pig compare in taste and texture to domestic pork. I'm assuming it will be leaner than domestic as most game meat is lean due to it not being fed all the extra stuff like it would get in a lot.

Are there any any special concerns with this meat. The concervation dept. here says to bury the offal and to use latex or nitril gloves when handling this meat due to possible dieases that they can carry ie psuedorabies, bursilosis and tricunea.  

I'd like to be fully armed with all info before getting into this so if any of you folks have experience with these critters all info will be greatly appreciated.

Biggest issue with feral pigs is probably going to be trichinosis. There may be a few other issues as well that I'm not familiar with.

I would think that the best bet would be to freeze the meat for at least 20 days, and then when you cook it, make sure it's well done.

As for flavour, I've only had farm raised wild boar, but I find the taste, much richer than normal pork. Not necessarily gamey, but more pork flavour.

Recently read an article in one of my cooking magazines how the local chefs in Hawaii are making great use out of wild boar, so it can be done. Like AK mentioned though the concern would be internal parasites buried in the muscles. I would recommend the freezing as well, like Zero or below. Tric is not a fun thing to have so cook it well. Me? I'm a city boy, always leery of wild game. Here's the link...http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2011/02/boar_hunting_in_hawaii  

Smaller sows are the best cooking.  When you kill the hog regardless I Slice the throat to let them bleed out.  If you let that blood sit there a coagulate it is going to taste very gamey.  I have had the large boars and with proper cooking they are a great meal as well.  A smaller sow is very close to domestic pig and you would be doing the area a favor by taking a young breeder out of the ecosystem.  A larger boar looks better on the wall and is eatable but if you have anyone who dislikes game tasting food this may be a little to much for them.    

Thanks for the link Willie!

Sounds delicious.

I have had wild boar several times here in Ga.

Slow cooked like any Q. It was great!

Craig

I wish my son were here now, because he & his buddies would go out in the Everglades bow hunting for wild pigs. When they got one they would put it in a pit and cook it for ? He said that they were great. I never tasted any, but my concern was always parasites, especially here in Florida. He is coming here in the next few weeks & if this thread is still active I'll give you his version.

Biggest issue with feral pigs is probably going to be trichinosis. There may be a few other issues as well that I'm not familiar with.

I would think that the best bet would be to freeze the meat for at least 20 days, and then when you cook it, make sure it's well done.

As for flavour, I've only had farm raised wild boar, but I find the taste, much richer than normal pork. Not necessarily gamey, but more pork flavour.
I agree, I have eaten boar, domestically raised, it was beyond comparison to regular swine, if the boar is healthy cook normally....but if in doubt.....throw it out

Last edited:
Smaller sows are the best cooking.  When you kill the hog regardless I Slice the throat to let them bleed out.  If you let that blood sit there a coagulate it is going to taste very gamey.  I have had the large boars and with proper cooking they are a great meal as well.  A smaller sow is very close to domestic pig and you would be doing the area a favor by taking a young breeder out of the ecosystem.  A larger boar looks better on the wall and is eatable but if you have anyone who dislikes game tasting food this may be a little to much for them.    
Just what he said about bleeding out! I have only eaten wild twice, both times it was from a buddies kill, and they were between 80-120 lb I helped do the cooking, and I will say those two were absolutly the best pig I have ever tasted

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky