Feedback on injecting turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwrek

Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Hello Guys,

I smoked a 7lb turkey breast this weekend (bone in).  I tried injecting for the 1[sup]st[/sup] time.  I used a butter based Stubb’s injection.  When I started to slice there were pockets of the injection.  I was under the impression it would cook in more.  Is this normal?  Do you think I used too much?

It didn’t taste bad, just didn’t make for the best presentation.

Thanks for the feedback. 

The raw muscle density in birds is pretty tight. It will disperse somewhat with time, like a rest over night, but the finished meat will still be streaky especially if there are spices in the injection liquid...JJ

Reactions: dwrek
I have found that every time I have used injection, which is one reason I don't inject anymore.

JJ is right though, if you let it sit it will get better.

That's why I choose to Brine ..."always"
drool.gif
 No pockets of stuff , a thorough distribution of flavor and a juicyness above what injecting can do.

PULS, there are no holes in the muscle for the juices to track out of the carcass while cooking.
biggrin.gif

Just my .02 worth....

have fun and...

In my opinion I prefer injecting over brining. Yes you do get some spots where you can see the injection you used but in my experience nobody I know really cares as long as the meat it delicious and I personally never had a bad product when injecting. I've been injecting the Thanksgiving turkey for years and if I had a dollar for every time I herd " that is the best turkey I have ever had" I could retire. My .02

I recently bought an injector and my thoughts was to try injecting just under the skin with a mixture TBD (possibly a butter-broth-spice combo). I had read this post before so thought that instead of a direct injection into the turkey or even chicken, the flavoring of the injection may spread throughout the bird better from the sub skin layer. Just a thought. I have an extra turkey I saved from the holidays and plan on trying this, along with smoke, unless I read otherwise.  

Wonder where Butterball inject the butter into the turkeys?

Last edited:
I don't inject poultry.  Thanksgiving, I almost screwed up the meal cause I injected one turkey breast.  I did 2 breast in my WSM.  One was injected and the other wasn't.  Like you, I found the that injected breast had pockets of injections that didn't flow through the entire breast. 

In my opinion, poultry shouldn't taste like butter, oils, etc., it should taste like poultry.  Certain meats shouldn't be tampered with.  Brine your poultry and leave the injecting to beef.

One time I smoked turkey drumsticks and made a special one for my son-in-law who likes his food spicy.  I injected his drumstick with about 3/4 cup of hot sauce and let it rest overnight. My son-in-law enjoyed it because there was a pocket of hot sauce in every bite.  But like Chef JimmyJ says the sauce was not distributed evenly.  I probably could have served the hot sauce on the side and the overall taste and effect of it would not have been much different from injecting it.

What I've done the last couple of times with turkey breast is to brine it anywhere from 12-24 hours, pull from brine, rinse, pat dry, then inject with garlic butter, and place in fridge overnight. Then coat on and under the skin with a butter herb mixture. I place it in a pan and into the smoker. I'll then baste it every 45 minutes or so with the pan juices.
rarezuje.jpg

It comes out juicy and very flavorful. The expression on my friends' and family's faces makes it all worthwhile.

Jose

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky