Feb. 2021 Fiocco di Prosciutto is ready...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Incredible! This is so far above my skill level. I hope all who partake in its consumption have half a clue of what they are enjoying!
Not everyone in my family knows....but the ones that do REALLY know....and will appreciate it. That piece if you were to buy it in Italy (assuming you could find it) would be $150-$250 for the whole piece. But for me it is priceless; a 30 year personal journey to learn this craft...

• Love
Reactions: JC in GB and tallbm
What I thought was a void in the Fiocco that had grown white mold is Tyrosine Crystals. The White dots are perfectly normal and desirable in a Culatello... as sign of proper aging.

It would take me awhile to get past the mold.
The white mold is from a culture and it is safe to consume. It is a warring mold in that it will fight off bad molds, bacteria and yeast. It creates Bactocides which keep them in check. It also slows down the drying, keeps the surface moist, and creates flavor by releasing enzymes into the meat. It is what makes the flavor profile in Culatello because the mold acts on the meat for such a long period of time.

It is much safer WITH the right mold than without. Mold WILL grow on the moist meat so best to have the right kind....

Reactions: jcam222
The white mold is from a culture and it is safe to consume. It is a warring mold in that it will fight off bad molds, bacteria and yeast. It creates Bactocides which keep them in check. It also slows down the drying, keeps the surface moist, and creates flavor by releasing enzymes into the meat. It is what makes the flavor profile in Culatello because the mold acts on the meat for such a long period of time.

It is much safer WITH the right mold than without. Mold WILL grow on the moist meat so best to have the right kind....
Makes sense , just takes awhile for me to wrap my head around it :)

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky