FDA OKs Lab-grown meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm old fashioned...think I'll just keep on eating meat the way God made them...farm to table thing. The last paragraph at the end about the FDA...pretty much had enough of the government telling us what is safe for us the last two years.
Plus, I'm not sure daveomak.fs daveomak.fs would want to or have the time to keep up with them! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Muscle cells grown in vitro are probably a fine way to make animal protein, and that may be useful...but that's not meat. I think we're still a long way from being able to grow tissue and organs in the lab, and I doubt the results will be very good even if we get there.

So I'm not too excited about lab grown animal muscle cells. Can't use them, they'll just fall right through the grates on my smoker. :-)

Reactions: JLeonard
This could be a market changing development. Being able to grow genetically pure muscle mass without the need for additional drugs or keeping an animal alive and growing with food and water inputs. I would guess lab grown tissue would take less input per pound of meat produced than conventional methods. Best yet, at the end of the day, you don't have to kill an animal to get the meat. If there is a downside here I am not seeing it at this point. Don't get me wrong, I like my animal protein just as much as the next guy. :emoji_yum:

JC :emoji_cat:

The article doesn't really state what the end use for this man-made protein is other than human consumption. If it makes inexpensive protein available for those who are less able to afford meat, then OK, but I'll stick to my usual protein sources...

What do think?
This isn't veggie burger, beyondmeat stuff. It's actual animal muscle cells grown in and harvest from a petri dish.

Interesting article.

There's all kinds of applications for lab created animal proteins... provided it's all safe in the end for human consumption and becomes cost effective (it's possible to be both).

Just off the top of my head:
  • Obviously there is human eating options
    • Doesn't require farm/ranch land and tons of buildings already exist that can be repurposed to manufacture proteins
    • Fast food ground beefy products can go back to being more beef than soy protein... hence the name "beefy" being used instead of beef in Taco Bell ground beef products (personally they should burn all Taco Bells to the ground but that's just me haha)
    • Is scalable to be able to produce in any part of the world regardless of environment or climate (jungle, plains, dessert, swamp, city, sweltering heat, freezing temps, etc.) you just need a facility
    • Can simply be proteins and amino acids for things like meal replacement or supplement shakes/drinks; Doesn't have to go full blown meat creation
    • Can hopefully mass produce helpful animal proteins used in medical and pharmaceutical/pharmacological applications
  • Feed farm raised animals this lab animal protein if it is more cost effective and makes sense (feeding omnivores like fish, crustaceans, pigs, chickens, etc.)
  • Produce more protein based animal products like Silk, Leather, Fur/Hair/Pelts, etc. (not really for eating but as humans we use this stuff)
I'm sure I could come up with more things if I really sat and thought on it.

In general, I've got an open mind to what this could mean for human consumption (eating, medicine, products) as well as other applications :)

There is a discount grocery store near me called Grocery Outlet, that gets in a lot of inventory of what doesn't sell in other stores. I've noticed their frozen meat-substitute section expanding quite a bit. So I don't know how there will be a big enough market for lab-grown meat to justify the cost.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky