Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm mostly a Scotch guy. My favorites right now are both peated and sherry finished, with Talisker Distiller's Edition and Ardbeg Uigeadail at the top of my list.

For bourbon, I generally go with Wild Turkey 101. To me, it's a well balanced, classic bourbon flavor that's a decent price (for Seattle, our liquor taxes are insane). Evan Williams bottled in bond is also decent at an incredible price, though I found it has an unusual anise/licorice note to it. Not necessarily bad, but was unexpected. It goes away when mixed.

Michters American is a great, not quite bourbon whiskey. Angel's Envy rum finished rye is fantastic (though kinda pricey) and Woodinville Whiskey's port finished bourbon is great (better than the standard Angel's Envy, IMHO)

However, I still believe that the old saying is still the truth: The best whiskey in the world is the your favorite whiskey, the way you like to drink it.

I love the Ambassador Christmas gifts. Took a while for my barrel to mature as well. Made the trip there and got to hand dip my own bottles with my name on the label. That was a nice touch. Out of all the distilleries I think they were my favorite tour. Beautiful distillery.
Yup.

I did the same.

I don't drink much of any bourbon that's not mixed so I just buy Evan Williams or the like. It's been that way since college. If I do upgrade it's George Dickel 90 or Wild Turkey 101. Then there are hot toddies but that's mixed too.

Surprised Four Roses didn't get more love. And a couple people mentioned Jefferson's Reserve. Their Very Old/Very Small Batch might be my current favorite.

But I buy a lot of Evan Williams for highballs and Old Fashioneds.

Forgot to mention, for really cheap, Benchmade is very good considering its like $15 a bottle

Michter's is my go to, if they don't have that Woodford's Batch proof or double oaked or the gallon size reserve from Costco. :emoji_joy: :emoji_joy: :emoji_joy:

Reactions: bigfurmn
Took a trip to the Bourbon Holy Land of Louisville a few years ago and hit just about every distillery we could find. It was an amazing adventure. My best finds were Woodford Double Oak, anything by Michters, and there was a great Angel’s Envy aged in rum barrels. They’ve all become $$$ since then but I still keep those in the collection. Also discovered I loved White Dog/Moonshine And a lot of distilleries bottle it like Maker’s Mark and Buffalo Trace. Another discovery I made is not a bourbon but a corn liqueur called Nixta Licor de Elote that will astound and amaze you. It’s like the sweet cousin of bourbon. If you like bourbon you’ll love Nixta.
My friend and I have been out there twice now. (Little tougher now with Covid. A lot of places were closed to the public.)
Even with trying to hit 3-4 distilleries a day, we still couldn't get to everyplace we wanted to. Agree that Maker's Mark is a beautiful space, though it's kinda in the middle of nowhere. Woodford Reserve area is absolutely gorgeous. Couldn't get in to Michter's, but we also enjoyed the Woodford Double Oak and Angel's Envy Rye. I brought back those and many more.

Reactions: forktender
Second on Woodford Reserve, also their Double Baked Version. Also like Angel's Envy and Michters. Love Blanton's but it's getting very hard to find. Lasts about 10 minutes on the shelves here in VA, once the State ABC stores which have it in stock up up for business. (You have to watch for it online, and plan on being at the store 30 minutes before they open to have any chance of grabbing a bottle)

Blanton's is almost as hard to get as Pappy's these days....Which deeply pains me.

My friend and I have been out there twice now. (Little tougher now with Covid. A lot of places were closed to the public.)
Even with trying to hit 3-4 distilleries a day, we still couldn't get to everyplace we wanted to. Agree that Maker's Mark is a beautiful space, though it's kinda in the middle of nowhere. Woodford Reserve area is absolutely gorgeous. Couldn't get in to Michter's, but we also enjoyed the Woodford Double Oak and Angel's Envy Rye. I brought back those and many more.
That Angel's Envy Rye is something special, indeed.

This one I found I like to fill in at $45

View attachment 522078
OK I am taking this one back. Last 2 times drinking that Rare Breed I just am not liking. I guess that Ironroot has me spoiled. I use to make my mine own. Took a quart to the brewery last week and it was just about gone before I left. I guess they liked it. Just not good sipping stuff like Ironroot. I will look in to some of these other posted.

All these suggestions are awesome. Gonna have a long wishlist now. I've found myself drifting to the Wild Turkey 101 more and more lately.

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
I'm a Makers Mark guy, too. After reading this thread a few weeks ago I signed up for the Ambassador program as well, #2092848. The ETA on my barrel isn't until like 2028 or 2029. Hope I can wait that long...:emoji_slight_smile:

Under $50 and widely available? Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Elijah Craig Small batch. Also like Rittenhouse Rye.
If you have a Costco near you, Master Distillers-1792 puts out a couple under the Kirkland Signature label that're really good. It's about $40 for 1 liter in WA, probably cheaper elsewhere.
Plus 1 on the Rittenhouse Rye, although, to be clear, I favor the Rittenhouse 100, which is 100 percent rye grain and 100 proof, and bottled-in-bond. Excellent rye flavor, and very affordable.

Another affordable, and excellent, rye is Old Overholt bottled-in-bond. It can be a bit hard to find (insist on the bottled-in-bond), also 100 proof and 100 percent rye.

I'm fond of Islay malt Scotch as well, but that's too expensive for "every day" drinking -- at least for me. My personal favorite is Laphroaig 15 year.

I've enjoyed some of the varieties of Balcones Distilling whiskey, from Waco -- "grain to glass" in Texas. I've noticed, though, that they're typically aged for only a few months and the flavor can be a bit shallow, even artificial.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the other spirits recommended here!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky