FAVORITE JERKY MARINADES?? Please share yours!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdbannister

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Hey guys, I'm starting this thread as a place where we can post our favorite jerky marinade recipes. I'm hoping it becomes a quick reference guide for finding lots of different ideas in one place.

I'm new to making jerky, so I don't have much to contribute to this conversation, but I am definitely interested in what you guys might share. :D

I'll go ahead and throw in a recipe I'm still experimenting with that's based on my attempt documented here: https://smokingmeatforums.com/threa...rst-attempt-critiques-tips-are-welcome.270819

1.jpg

Based on the above, my next batch will be this honey/sriracha marinade recipe:

Marinade:
  • 1/2 cup sriracha
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • Cure #1 as needed
(Reduce marinade before using)
Marinate meat for 24-48 hours, then add Honey Sriracha seasoning by McCormick to meat before smoking.

1.jpeg

I'm also thinking I'll try this Dr. Pepper/Jalapeño recipe in short order: https://heygrillhey.com/recipe/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/

What are some other good recipes to try?

This is what I've been using. It is a combination of various recipes I've tried. Works quite well, with or without smoke.

For ten pounds of ¼" sliced beef. Use ¼ recipe for 1½ - 2 pounds.

Use London broil, top round, or flank steak. Must be lean.

Amounts for both Full and One-Quarter recipe are shown below.

Beef Jerky

Full Recipe
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worcestershire sauce
¼ cup tabasco
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper, ground to taste
1 tablespoon garam masala (optional – I don’t use)
2 level teaspoons InstaCure (optional – I don’t use)
½ cup Jack Daniels (optional)

¼ Recipe
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup worcestershire sauce
1 T tabasco
2¼ t kosher salt
¾ t onion powder
¾ t garlic powder
¾ t black pepper, ground to taste
¾ t garam masala (optional – I don’t use)
¼ t InstaCure (optional – I don’t use)
2 T Jack Daniels (optional)

Marinade for 24 hours, overhauling a couple of times. Smoke at 140º-160º for one hour, then lower smoker to 120º and smoke for another hour. Finish in convection oven, set to lowest level (140º) for 4-10 hours, until reasonably dry, or use a dehydrator, if you have one. I use hickory pellets in the AMNPS which I put into my popcorn mod external smoke generator.

Don’t slice too thin. Use at least the 2nd mark on a Chef’s Choice 615 slicer, and probably more (3rd mark?). If sliced too thin, and then marinated overnight, it falls apart. The slicer is used to get a consistent thickness rather than to get the meat sliced super-thin.

Last edited:
I really like the Sriracha honey mix on bacon jerky, but for some reason don't care much for it on beef. Guess just personal preference. That being said, I recently tried a new to me recipe posted by a great member of the forum, CrazyMoon. It is a recipe he tweaked from Eldon Cutlips book & it's very tasty IMO! Post #11 in the following link.

https://smokingmeatforums.com/threads/eye-of-the-round-jerky-try.238666/

I really hope this post continues, jerky making is "ONE" of the things I like to do, so I don't do it everyday.
Now that you posted this, I'm getting hungry for some fresh stuff and will try your recipe and will enjoy posting anything special I come up with.

Reactions: mdbannister
Here is my favorite jerky:

4 lb eye of round roast (sliced @ 1/4”)
1/2 cup soy sauce (low salt)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (low salt)
1 tbsp liquid smoke (if using oven as dehydrator)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp black pepper
Crushed red pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp Morton's Tender Quick per lb of meat.

Mix all ingredients and beef and place in fridge overnight or so. Hang in oven on dehydrate (140 degrees). Done in about 9 hours.

Here it is hanging in oven:
IMG_0164.JPG

Lots of great options to try already! I'm excited about experimenting with several of these!

Well, I just made 5 different kinds of jerky with 5 different marinade ideas. The 3 that are my new favorites are:
  1. BWW Caribbean Jerk BBQ sauce. This is pretty basic. Buy the Caribbean Jerk sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings. Add Cure #1 to sauce. Marinate beef jerky strips in the sauce for 2 days. Throw 'em in the smoker for 4-4.5 hours at 160-170*, and enjoy! This stuff is AWESOME!! Probably my favorite jerky right now.
  2. This Dr. Pepper Jalapeño jerky: https://heygrillhey.com/recipe/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/ (I'll probably add another jalapeño or 2 to my next batch as I like the added kick). Also, I let it marinate for 3 days.
  3. Cranberry Sauce with Red Pepper marinade. This one is my wife's favorite.
- 14 oz can of cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 box of dried cranberries (I used the 1 oz box of craisins by Ocean Spray)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Cure #1​

I put all ingredients in a blender together before pouring over meat in a ziplock bag. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't blend the red pepper in next time in order keep it a visible size (blending it purees it to a point that it's not really visible anymore), but I'd definitely blend the other stuff together again. I marinated for 3 days before smoking.​

Reactions: Mr & Mrs Mup
I used the above recipe and made my first batch of jerky, A little salty for my taste my boys love it. Next time Im adding some sugar and no added salt.

Attachments

• 20180104_202732.jpg
    20180104_202732.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180105_155117.jpg
    20180105_155117.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20180105_195748.jpg
    20180105_195748.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 112
That Cranberry Sauce and Red Pepper marinade tastes fantastic in my grey matter. Going to give that a try! Based on the amount of cure and the weight of the ingredients, I'm saying the recipe is for about 2 lbs of meat.
Yep. I did 2lb.

Reactions: SonnyE
Well, I just made 5 different kinds of jerky with 5 different marinade ideas. The 3 that are my new favorites are:
  1. BWW Caribbean Jerk BBQ sauce. This is pretty basic. Buy the Caribbean Jerk sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings. Add Cure #1 to sauce. Marinate beef jerky strips in the sauce for 2 days. Throw 'em in the smoker for 4-4.5 hours at 160-170*, and enjoy! This stuff is AWESOME!! Probably my favorite jerky right now.
  2. This Dr. Pepper Jalapeño jerky: https://heygrillhey.com/recipe/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/ (I'll probably add another jalapeño or 2 to my next batch as I like the added kick). Also, I let it marinate for 3 days.
- 1/2 tsp Cure #1​

I put all ingredients in a blender together before pouring over meat in a ziplock bag. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't blend the red pepper in next time in order keep it a visible size (blending it purees it to a point that it's not really visible anymore), but I'd definitely blend the other stuff together again. I marinated for 3 days before smoking.​

That Cranberry-Red Pepper sounds really good!
I'd suggest doing what you did, but when on the trays, sprinkle on some additional red pepper flakes.
I typically do that for the visual of the flavor on the finished batch.
Just a thought...

- 1/2 tsp Cure #1​

i have a question for you ,this Dr pepper one , do you really need to let it marinade for the extra days ,and what would happen if say i were to use hot sauce instead of the jalepenos. thank you for the information

My favorite so far is Teriyaki:
  • 1lb beef eye, top, or bottom round
Marinade
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried ginger
Optional
And second is Chili Lime:
  • 1 lb eye, top, or bottom round
Marinade
  • 1 tsp liquid smoke Don't add if using a smoker
  • 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1½ tbsp lime juice
  • 1 zest of lime
Optional
Both were from jerkyholic's site, and I've tried several others there, almost everything was good so far.

Some really good jerky marinades shared here. May have to try some of these.

One our boys have really come to enjoy :
Slice our venison up to 1/4" ( usual meat of choice ) 2.5lbs
Cure ( use as req'd per pound 1 level tsp /5lb meat) 1/2 tsp
Honey 1/2 cup
Teriyaki sauce 1/2 cup
Soy sauce 2 Tbsp
Cracked black pepper 2 Tbsp
2 ounces water. mix well put in 2 large zip lock bags store in fridge 3-7 days massaging daily. then smoke

i have a question for you ,this Dr pepper one , do you really need to let it marinade for the extra days ,and what would happen if say i were to use hot sauce instead of the jalepenos. thank you for the information
I've only done it once, so I'm not sure on either of these questions. I definitely marinated longer than the instructions called for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky