FAVORITE JERKY MARINADES?? Please share yours!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i have a question for you ,this Dr pepper one , do you really need to let it marinade for the extra days ,and what would happen if say i were to use hot sauce instead of the jalepenos. thank you for the information

I made this 2 weeks ago with a slightly shorter marinading time and without patting it dry. It was great but next time I will let marinade longer, maybe swap Dr Pepper for Cheerwine and increase the peppers. Using hot sauce will probably change the flavors a bit and make it much spicier.
IMG_1492.JPG

Good idea on starting this thread mdbannister. This is the marinade I've been using for a number of years.

Marinated Spicy Jerky

11-12 pounds of beef
6 ts salt (sea salt)
4 ts pepper
4 ts chili powder
4 ts garlic Powder
4 ts onion powder
2-3 ts cayenne pepper
2 ts Liquid Smoke (see below)
1 cup of Water
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup of Worchester Sauce

I go to my local butcher and order 10 -12 pound outside round roast and have her cut the roast WITH the grain into ¼ to 3/8 of an inch thick slabs. At home I cut these (again with the grain) approx ¾ to 1 inch wide strips.

Then I combined all the ingredients in a non-reactive container and put in the beef strips and refrigerate (covered) for 48 hrs, stirring a couple times a day to redistribute the marinade.

After the 48 hours I remove the beef strips pat dry the with paper towels and put them on bamboo/wood skewers and into the smoker.

I make my jerky in a homemade electric smoker/dehydrator and use apple wood for smoke. The liquid smoke is used indoor dehydrators your call on the flavor of smoke.

Jerky 1.jpg

Jerky 2.jpg
Jerky 3.jpg

Jerky 4.jpg

Good idea on starting this thread mdbannister. This is the marinade I've been using for a number of years.

Marinated Spicy Jerky

11-12 pounds of beef
6 ts salt (sea salt)
4 ts pepper
4 ts chili powder
4 ts garlic Powder
4 ts onion powder
2-3 ts cayenne pepper
2 ts Liquid Smoke (see below)
1 cup of Water
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup of Worchester Sauce

I go to my local butcher and order 10 -12 pound outside round roast and have her cut the roast WITH the grain into ¼ to 3/8 of an inch thick slabs. At home I cut these (again with the grain) approx ¾ to 1 inch wide strips.

Then I combined all the ingredients in a non-reactive container and put in the beef strips and refrigerate (covered) for 48 hrs, stirring a couple times a day to redistribute the marinade.

After the 48 hours I remove the beef strips pat dry the with paper towels and put them on bamboo/wood skewers and into the smoker.

I make my jerky in a homemade electric smoker/dehydrator and use apple wood for smoke. The liquid smoke is used indoor dehydrators your call on the flavor of smoke.

View attachment 350148

View attachment 350149
View attachment 350150

View attachment 350151

hey wow looks very good ... you did a great job ... i have a question for you , have you ever tried a fruit drink in your marinade instead of water . i was just wondering here because i have a whole bunch (of jerky) im gonna do and have been thinki9ng about that .. just curious what you thought ? hey again looks great

Here is my favorite jerky:

4 lb eye of round roast (sliced @ 1/4”)
1/2 cup soy sauce (low salt)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (low salt)
1 tbsp liquid smoke (if using oven as dehydrator)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp black pepper
Crushed red pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp Morton's Tender Quick per lb of meat.

Mix all ingredients and beef and place in fridge overnight or so. Hang in oven on dehydrate (140 degrees). Done in about 9 hours.

Here it is hanging in oven:
View attachment 348094

You do jerky 9 hours? Dang! How thick is it cut? I do 1/4 " thick in the smoker at like 180 ish for only 3 hours. Or 2 hour smoked and 1 hour finished no smoke.

Getting back to this comment.
Well everyone at work tried this Bourbon BBQ blend by hi mountain and they all loved it . I think the key is to cut thick and blend the spice and cure very good. Mix in a bowl after you sprinkle each slice on both sides. Refrigerate 2 days. Smoke with wood chunks 2 hours 180 and finish another hour no smoke. 3 hours is it! 1/4" thick eye of round or bottom round. The "steak like" jerky is the best.
Doing a Hi Mountain Bourbon BBQ blend.

View attachment 349936

Smells real good.
Will let everyone know if it's good or bad in a couple days

Reactions: mdbannister
Oh. I see.. ok.
Sounds good.
Have you ever tried it just in the oven at a higher temp with the door cracked?

i used to do alot of jerky in the oven and here is how i did it ,(not gonna say its the right way but you understand)first i would set the oven at lowest temp possible 150-160 ruffly.
-then i would crack the door open ,i would stick something in there ( moms hot pad usually)you see i firured it had to be cracked open to get a flow of warm air to cook the meat .
-then depending on meat thickness go until i could bend the meat and it would slowly return to its original form , if i broke it fairly quick ... well it went to long for me.
-also i would add liquid smoke to the recipe ... that was where i got the smoke flavour from , just not to much as i found it would bitter the taste .
i hope this helps you out from my doings

i used to do alot of jerky in the oven and here is how i did it ,(not gonna say its the right way but you understand)first i would set the oven at lowest temp possible 150-160 ruffly.
-then i would crack the door open ,i would stick something in there ( moms hot pad usually)you see i firured it had to be cracked open to get a flow of warm air to cook the meat .
-then depending on meat thickness go until i could bend the meat and it would slowly return to its original form , if i broke it fairly quick ... well it went to long for me.
-also i would add liquid smoke to the recipe ... that was where i got the smoke flavour from , just not to much as i found it would bitter the taste .
i hope this helps you out from my doings

I Do a bend & tear and taste , after a couple hours in the smoker . Watch it like a hawk for the next hour.

Reactions: dan the mano
I have a bad habit of not actually measuring things out. Haven't tried to make jerky in the smoker yet, but on my list as soon as the temps warm up here in Up-State NY. I always made it in the oven at 150* wit the door cracked for 6-8 hours.
Here are the two recipes people have liked the most, pretty close except for some spicy spices added.

I generally use a london broil cut for jerky, sliced about 1/4" or less. I cut and put in a sealable plastic container or zip lock bags.

Sweet & Spicy:
Worcestershire mixed about 10/1 with low sodium soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, cracked black pepper, smoked paprika, and a pinch of brown sugar. I mix it up and coat the beef strips and marinade for two days.

Hot & Spicy:
Same as above except I leave out the brown sugar and add crushed red pepper, Tabasco, and some habanero seasoning.

I really should start taking notes on measurements of my recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky