Favorite cheese for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

confederateknowhow

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Shelbyville, KY
I want to take the plunge into the world of smoked cheese. I've been studying posts and learning what I can. I'm just not sure what kind of cheese I want to smoke. I would love to do a large batch of different kinds, but the budget wont allow it right now. Any suggestions? Whats your favorite cheese to smoke?

Thainkya in advance,

CKH

My favorite cheese is fresh mozzarella. It is instant gratification. I get the two pack from Costco for about $10 then I cut them in half pat them dry and put them in the fridge for a couple of hours so that it forms a "skin" on the outside so it helps keep in the moisture during the smoke.

I smoke it with my AMNS for about 1.5 - 3 hours with some apple or pecan or hickory. I let it rest in the fridge until cool again and you can serve it right away. With the other cheeses you can smoke them for a longer time to get more smoke but then you have to wait for 2 weeks for it to cure.

Here is a link for one we did then stuffed into some meatballs

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/99157/fresh-mozarella-smoked-again

I have done pepper jack, sharp cheddar, colby jack, cheddar and  mozzarella.  My preference is pretty much in that order from best to ho-hum. 

Look for sales on store brand cheese.

I do alot of mozz, swiss, and colby jack. I have also done cheddar. The first three seem to be the ones that disappear the qucikest. I actually have a batch in the fridge melloing out right now consisting of the first three. They will be ready this weekend and the swiss is for a christmas present.

I use the tin can and soldering iron method, works great for me!

Last edited:
just did this load two weeks ago this Saturday, 20lbs sharp cheedar, 20lbs mild cheddar, 10lbs white cheddar, 10lbs pepper jack, 10 lbs monterey jack and 5 lbs provolone. i must say the new toy works beyond excelent (Smoke Daddy Magnum Pig) i would recomend it to anyone. the next batch is provolone,blue/gorganzola,brie and Gouda all soft and will update,,,good or bad. here is a before and during shot.
82c1db18_before.jpg
177b4d65_during.jpg

FWIW I tried smoking some Australian parmagiana. I didn't think it came out too bad, but the family absolutely hates it.

Mozz, gouda and cheddar are all great.

I've smoked many types of cheese Gouda, Hot Pepper, Asiago, Parmesan,

Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack, Cheddar, Swiss, Mozzarella, and Sting Cheese

( AKA Cheese sticks ). IMHO I like the Gouda, Hot Pepper and to grate the Parmesan

over pasta or pizza. But don't forget the wood has a bit to do with your flavor as well

as how long you smoke it.

My overall favorite is Swiss not the Baby but the good stuff...  I am going to be doing a load of different kinds later this week...  I made a mistake in letting the ex-wife do the shopping.  She got carried away...

I am positively a cheese addict, always was, but never thought to smoke provolone...I like sharp provolone the best. I will have to try that, but perhaps mild provolone might take the smoke better? Also while we're at it, what flavor of wood do you guys think is best, different types for different cheeses? I am about to order more dust for the AMS, if you have an opinion on a particular favorite, I'd love to hear it. Thanks guys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky