Fatties At Sunrise, Breakfast At Ten

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Short story short.... I smoked a couple of lo-n-slo naked fatties around 215° first thing this morning, then wrapped for an hour and made breakfast. They were buy 1 get 1, so a win-win situation.

PoZSGi9.jpg

ij1HcN2.jpg

Looks good, I've done them that way a couple of times. Did you season them at all?

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good, I've done them that way a couple of times. Did you season them at all?

Point for sure
Chris
Yep, coarse black pepper, Smokin' Guns Hot and A Touch of Cherry. On the breakfast fatties I like a zippy rub. On a spicy fattie I'll use a sweet rub.

That is how the fattie revolution got started, just a Jimmy Dean chub & some rub & smoke until done. I did one of those about 1 year ago & really enjoyed it with some French toast, and maple syrup, with a couple of sunny side up eggs.
Al

That is how the fattie revolution got started, just a Jimmy Dean chub & some rub & smoke until done. I did one of those about 1 year ago & really enjoyed it with some French toast, and maple syrup, with a couple of sunny side up eggs.
Al
Heheheee. Yep, chub & rub. I don't know who smoked the first sausage log, but the guy that named it a 'fatty' was Bigdog (on another forum) in 2004 and the name stuck.

Fun fact: We went to fancy Christmas party one year and I took a platter of sliced fatties. A doctor's wife loved them and asked me if they were some kind of Pâté . My 6th grade sense of humor immediately kicked in and I told her "No, they're not Pâté, but they are a French sausage..... and are called 'fa-tays'. "

Fun Fact 2: One year at our annual BBQ for Rodeo Week I smoked 25 fatties to feed the people that come early. One dude I didn't know asked if they were homemade and wanted the recipe. I told him they were the one pound breakfast logs from Safeway, and in front of 5 or 6 other cooks, he accused me of lying because he "owns a catering company that cooks whole hogs and other BBQ, and knows sausage". He wouldn't believe me (or them) and after about 30 minutes I took him to the dumpster and untied a bag containing a pile of plastic wrappers.

Oh boy! I haven't done one of those for a long while! Thanks for reminding me I am waaaaay overdue!

Funny stories!

Wow, new one for me, and I'm in! So, just carefully remove the roll, season and smoke? About how long at 225?

Rick

Wow, new one for me, and I'm in! So, just carefully remove the roll, season and smoke? About how long at 225?

Rick
Pop the log in the freezer for 20 minutes. Score the plastic with a knife and peel off. Blend any blemishes. Use a light coating of olive oil or yellow mustard, season 'hot sausage' with a sweet BBQ rub, and a 'breakfast sausage' with spicy BBQ rub. Smoke low-n-slow (225° is perfect) with a drip pan for a couple hours, bringing the internal to 155°. Wrap in foil, and set on the counter. The carry-over temp will pass 160°. Check out the photo of the grill topper screen in post #1, the sausage will sink into a normal grill grate

Roger that on the topper. Oh my I'm ready for this! One more: Drip pan?
Oh boy.... yes. All those breakfast logs are way high on fat. Over those 2 or 3 hours in the smoker, a LOT of fat renders out. That is why the low pit temps work well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky