Fatties At Sunrise, Breakfast At Ten

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh boy.... yes. All those breakfast logs are way high on fat. Over those 2 or 3 hours in the smoker, a LOT of fat renders out. That is why the low pit temps work well.

Do you reckon this rendered fat is good to use? I was thinking of making some of these with a drip pan filled with potatoes, peppers, and onions underneath to make breakfast burritos with.

Funny thing; I've made a good number of stuffed fatty's but had never heard that the idea started out as a simple roll of sausage.

Thanks for enlightenment Third Eye, and I'll give this a shot, soon. Really like the look of the bowl of biscuits next to the plate of sliced fatty.

Oh boy.... yes. All those breakfast logs are way high on fat. Over those 2 or 3 hours in the smoker, a LOT of fat renders out. That is why the low pit temps work well.

I just smoked 4 Bob Evans original rolls. I was surprised to see there were only a few drops of fat.

I guess I'm going to have to dip into the bacon grease or lard I have saved for the potatoes, onions, and peppers!

Do you reckon this rendered fat is good to use? I was thinking of making some of these with a drip pan filled with potatoes, peppers, and onions underneath to make breakfast burritos with.
I've never saved the fats to use it later, but I have had a pan of beans underneath a couple of fatties.

Funny thing; I've made a good number of stuffed fatty's but had never heard that the idea started out as a simple roll of sausage.

Thanks for enlightenment Third Eye, and I'll give this a shot, soon. Really like the look of the bowl of biscuits next to the plate of sliced fatty.

Yeah, it's weird, but I've only made stuffed fatties 12 or 15 times. I use opposite flavors of rubs though. On a breakfast fatty I opt for a spicy rub, and on a hot sausage log, I'll use a sweeter rub.

I just smoked 4 Bob Evans original rolls. I was surprised to see there were only a few drops of fat.

I guess I'm going to have to dip into the bacon grease or lard I have saved for the potatoes, onions, and peppers!
Only a few drops of fats is strange. Using the Jimmy Dean or Safeway store brand I easily see 1/4 cup or so on 4 logs. Did you go somewhat low pit temps for several hours?

I've never saved the fats to use it later, but I have had a pan of beans underneath a couple of fatties.

Yeah, it's weird, but I've only made stuffed fatties 12 or 15 times. I use opposite flavors of rubs though. On a breakfast fatty I opt for a spicy rub, and on a hot sausage log, I'll use a sweeter rub.

Only a few drops of fats is strange. Using the Jimmy Dean or Safeway store brand I easily see 1/4 cup or so on 4 logs. Did you go somewhat low pit temps for several hours?

I went for 250 F on my MES. I know the indicated temp is way higher than actual. But, I didn't bother with the atmospheric probe this time. I was going for about 225 F for about 2.5 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky