Fathers day help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I was planning to cook some simple new york steaks for fathers day. They are sitting in the garage refrigerator. My wife goes out shopping for things she needs for our family party. She shows me what she bought and asks me, is this what you have been talking about.

PXL_20220618_234428561.jpg

From costco, prime rib eye steaks on the bone and about 2 1/4 inches thick, at $15/lb. I of course say yes, but I need some help. I'm wanting to smoke these on my new GMG Ledge and have no idea how long they will take. People say to smoke them at 150° for a while to get maximum smoke. Since I will have all day to cook them, i know I have a limit to get it done in 4 hours, because she also bought these.
PXL_20220618_235754168.jpg

There are actually 15 of these and have a good idea how to cook these, low and slow for however long it takes to get probe tender. These will cook on my gas vertical starting early in the morning and I can crank the heat if I have to if I run into trouble. I will look to read more, i haven't seen a description of smoking them already cut into pieces.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
Reverse sear the ribeyes if you can. Cook to the side of a ripping coal bed until I.T. is around 115℉, turning once. Then right over the coals until 125℉, again turning once. Over the coals shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes per side at most. Let rest until ready to carve and they'll be rare-medium rare. Do not go to 150℉ unless you like medium doneness. As for smoking them, I would smoke until 125℉-130℉ and let rest for a medium rare steak.

My 2¢...

I'm wanting to smoke these on my new GMG Ledge

Sorry I can't help with the Ledge, But someone should kick in some knowledge. And Charles Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke , I think has you covered already.
The main reason I am posting is to say Your wife is a keeper for her shopping qualities.
And I want to see how it goes.
Have fun and good luck

David

Reactions: Nefarious
Brokenhandle Brokenhandle you have the GMG smoker? When you cook steaks, how long do you cook at 150 to get a reasonable smoke flavor? Do you also use a smoke tube?
We never smoke anything at 150, or haven't yet and don't use a tube. But last night threw a venison loin on at 200 degrees, about 6:30 pm

IMG_20220619_094910.jpg

It was at 132 degrees at 8:30 pm

20220618_203256.jpg

And a sliced shot
20220618_210632.jpg

It wasn't done enough for my wife so she threw hers in a pan for a short bit. Hope this helps! I did a tomahawk steak not long ago but can't remember how long it took or temps.

Ryan

So not sure what time this was put on smoker or exact temps but guessing 225 to 250. Sitting on counter about 5:30 pm
20220506_171958.jpg

At 8 pm about done on smoker
20220506_200150.jpg

Seared at 8:20
20220506_202035.jpg

And sliced at 8:25
20220506_202500.jpg

Wished I had a pic of when it 1st went on. Hope this helps a little.

Ryan

So not sure what time this was put on smoker or exact temps but guessing 225 to 250. Sitting on counter about 5:30 pm
View attachment 635167

At 8 pm about done on smoker
View attachment 635168

Seared at 8:20
View attachment 635169

And sliced at 8:25
View attachment 635170

Wished I had a pic of when it 1st went on. Hope this helps a little.

Ryan
Thats good, at most 3 hours. More then likely less. I can smoke at 150 for an hour, then depending on the internal temp can cook faster gauging to be done in 3 hours. So, ill just start them 3 hours before the sides are done.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
My current issue is how long will the already cut ribs take to cook. I know they are done by probing for tenderness, just trying to get a time for coordinating. If a whole plate rib takes about 8 hours, if it is cut up into smaller pieces, does each piece take less time?

Maybe it doesn't matter f the time is close, they can sit in cooler a.little longer.

Just keep an eye on the IT. At 2 1/4" thick it can stay rare for surprisingly a long time even with a fair amount of heat underneath it. Don't know your preferred doneness level. We usually take ours closer to 132º then let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

The GMG grill was a total PITA. I left it at 150° for about an hour and a half to get some smoked on the meat. After some unknown time, the probe temperature for both probes and the smoker temp on my phone stopped changing. On the smoker control a little was flashing green then orange. The phone app is the only way to read the probe temperature so I had to go manual with hand held thermometer. My blue tooth thermometer was in my smoker tending to the ribs.

Everything was absolutely delicious when done. The ribs were pulled at 205° when probe tender
PXL_20220619_235144918.jpg

The smoker was turned up to 225 for the last hour and a half.

The tomahawk were taken off the smoker at IT 125° and seared on my gas grill to 135° and rested for 10 minutes.

PXL_20220620_020728145.jpg

PXL_20220620_020806231.jpg

And the cut.
PXL_20220620_021330071.jpg

Was totally happy with the meat, the smoker has some real problems with the phone app. They should flash the temperature of the probes in a cycle across the 3 digit display. The display at least showed the correct temp.

Reactions: bauchjw
Nice! Good meat and wine makes for a wonderful Father’s Day! Great job! They look amazing!!!!

Food looks amazing! Add some wine even better! I haven't even hooked my smoker up via wifi yet...in fact just used one of the probes for first time Saturday night finally. Just went out and looked at temps on the smoker.

Ryan

Food looks amazing! Add some wine even better! I haven't even hooked my smoker up via wifi yet...in fact just used one of the probes for first time Saturday night finally. Just went out and looked at temps on the smoker.

Ryan
You can see the probe temperatures on the smoker? I have only used it twice and can't see how.to see probe temp. Is that what the probe button does?

You can see the probe temperatures on the smoker? I have only used it twice and can't see how.to see probe temp. Is that what the probe button does?
If yours is like mine yes. I have the Peak, you have the Ledge.

20220620_204510.jpg

I was only using probe 1, but say your smoker temp was reading 225, push the green probe 1 button to show you what it's reading...push probe 1 button again and it goes back to smoker temp.

Ryan

Reactions: Nefarious
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky