Fat side up or down brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
I will be using a Camp Chef pellet smoker to cook my first brisket on Sunday. I have watched several videos on the matter and I have seen it done both ways fat side up and fat side down. My heat source comes from the bottom of my pellet smoke. So confused on the best way to do this. Has anyone experimented with these techniques on a pellet smoker before, or any smoker for that matter? Thanks

Fat towards the heat, always.
One advantage is that you don't have to do a ton of fat removal as it will render while it cooks, of course you have to be ready to deal with tons of grease exiting the meat, such as covering the drip plate with foil to ease clean up and possibly watching the grease catch bucket to make sure it does not overflow.
I have also flopped them over to the other side during the cook so both sides see the heat.

Always fat down on a pellet smoker. That doesn't free you from the task of trimming it though, but the fat you leave on will act as somewhat of a "shield" from the hotspot right over the burn pot. It's a myth that the fatcap will render down into the meat.

Reactions: ConrodM and Cabo
As with all things.. there is no black and white in smoking other than maybe salt and pepper.

I have a vertical pellet smoker that has a water pan and no "hot spot" over the burn put.

Depending on the model of the OP's Camp Chef, there's likely a shelf in there to place the brisket on and most "grill" shaped smokers have a deflector plate in them to spread the heat out and cut down on the hot spot.

Regardless, I would still put it fat side up. It has nothing to do with whether it's a pellet smoker or not.

I will be using a Camp Chef pellet smoker to cook my first brisket on Sunday. I have watched several videos on the matter and I have seen it done both ways fat side up and fat side down. My heat source comes from the bottom of my pellet smoke. So confused on the best way to do this. Has anyone experimented with these techniques on a pellet smoker before, or any smoker for that matter? Thanks
For me, it depends on my smoker. If I am using controlled heat like pellet or propane, and there is a water pan over the heat source, then I do fat side up so the meat gets basted with all that lovely flavor. When I am using my big stick burner, which I have far less control over the constant temp and/or flare ups, then I do fat down to protect the meat. Just my 2 cents. I am sure you will get great explanations for both ways.

Reactions: JLeonard
I trim the fat cap down to 1/4 inch and place fat down . It doesn't matter what type of smoker I use.

Reactions: ConrodM
I go fat side down mostly, but not for the reasons stated above. It's my understanding that smoke adheres to moisture, and I don't care for a strong smoke flavor. Spritzing, basting, fat cap up all help to keep the surface moist - thus allowing more smoke to cling to the surface. Creating a stronger smoke profile. Since my wife and I prefer a milder smoke profile(as do many of our friends) I forgo spritzing, basting, mopping and keep the fat cap down. Remember smoke plus water equals acid rain.

Chris

Wow bunch of great info keep them coming. One thing I did not mention was that I will be wrapping in paper with beef tallow. Hoping to get some of the basting from that.

Anyone try the beef tallow in the wrap before? Got the idea from the mad scientist.

Reactions: olecrosseyes
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky