Fat Dog Birthday Fajitas On The Flat Top (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
First a little history. When Tracy and I met she'd never been married before and didn't have any children. My kids were grown and in college. We decided very early that we didn't want to have kids and be of grandparent age when they graduated high school. The puppy immediately became Tracy's "daughter" and that dog is treated better than most family members are. She's spoiled beyond belief...well in her estimation she's not spoiled, she's just highly deserving. She's also the smartest, most intuitive, and sweetest little thing on the planet. Yesterday was her birthday and Tracy wanted me to make Fat Dog Birthday Fajitas on the new flat top griddle, so I did.

Start with the Certified Piedmontese skirt steak
002.jpg

Slice real thin on a 45 degree bias, put in a bowl, and toss with a heavy dose of my fajita spice blend. The meat will sit in the fridge for a few hours
003.jpg

Make some fresh pico
004.jpg

Got the griddle warming up out on the patio
005.jpg

Cut up some red and green bell peppers and onions then toss with a bit of guajillo pepper
006.jpg

Onto the griddle
007.jpg

Meat and veggies done. Move off to the side and toss on a couple torts. Got a beautiful char on the meat, exactly as I'd hoped
008.jpg

Load on the meat
010.jpg

Veggies
011.jpg

A bunch of fresh grated smoked extra sharp cheddar
012.jpg

Let the cheese melt just a bit and put into the taco holders
013.jpg

Money shot. Pico added and a nice dollop of sour cream. I'm sorry but those just look SO good!!
014.jpg

Birthday girl begging from mommy
016.jpg

That's not working so now she's begging from me
017.jpg

She knows she never gets anything from the table while we are eating but that doesn't stop her from trying. She gets a little plate of goodies after everything is cleaned up and put away though.

This meal actually served dual purpose. In addition to it being Bianca's birthday, it was also Tracy's mother's birthday. Sadly we lost mom several years ago but she lives on in memories and we try to honor and remember her at times like this. What an amazing lady she was!!

As far as fajitas go, this was a couple of firsts. I've always just seasoned the skirt steak, grilled it whole, then sliced it. This is the first time I've sliced it in advance but it is WAY better this way. There's so much more surface area for the seasonings which really amps up the flavor. This is the first time I've ever cooked them that was not grilled. There's a little BBQ joint in a convenience store not far from the house and I love their beef fajita meat. What really makes it for me is the char. Well, I managed to get that great char this time that has eluded me up to this point. The meat was soft and melt-in-your-mouth tender and veggies were cooked exactly as we liked them. These were really, really good...as well as being huge. Tracy's was a bit smaller but both of mine had to weigh close to a pound each. i managed about 1 3/4 of them then just finished the meat in the last one. At this point it'd be a safe bet that this will be my go-to for fajitas going forward.

Thanks for dropping in,
Robert

Nice job on the fajitas. Did some up on my Blackstone earlier in the week. I could eat Mexican food everyday

Thanks Jake and I'm with you buddy. We love Mexican food around here and it's one of the staples in a bunch of different ways. Your griddle breakfast post along with a few others I've seen is what prompted me to get the griddle. I wanted a portable one though so we could easily take it to the park or load it on the boat to take up the lake for cookouts on our friend's dock.

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
those look fabulous! great cook Robert. And a very nice story to wrap around it.

have a great holiday weekend!

those look fabulous! great cook Robert. And a very nice story to wrap around it.

Thank you Dave. It was fun and the first time I've cooked on a flat top. Won't be the last though!!

have a great holiday weekend!

Very much appreciate it sir. You too. Sadly it looks like we will have torrential rains all weekend and for the next week and a half. Oh well, we may not be able to go up the lake but the patio is fully covered so at least I can cook

Robert

Damn good looking fajitas Robert! That griddle is going to serve you well and expand your outdoor cooking experience. Nice to switch it up with things you would normally cook on the grill and do them on the flat top. Happy birthday to the fat dog. Looks like she ate well!

Damn good looking fajitas Robert!

Thank you John. Appreciate the kind words.

That griddle is going to serve you well and expand your outdoor cooking experience. Nice to switch it up with things you would normally cook on the grill and do them on the flat top.

I'm really looking forward to playing with this thing. Got some interesting ideas already, one of which I might do this evening. I probably wont post it though because I'd get thrown out of the forum for being nuts enough to attempt what I have in mind.

Happy birthday to the fat dog. Looks like she ate well!

I'll let her know. If you didn't notice, that dog eats well pretty much all the time. She looks like a 55 gallon drum on short little legs :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Nice grill! And the grub looks top notch. I've thought about getting one of those things for awhile now.

Nice grill! And the grub looks top notch. I've thought about getting one of those things for awhile now.

Thanks Steve!! When is your birthday? :emoji_wink: This thing is gonna be a lot of fun I'm guessing.

Robert

Robert, those fajitas look stunning. Great pictures! Everything looks so colorful and vibrant.

I'll have to try cutting up the meat beforehand. I have two skirt steaks left from CPB.

Great job and happy belated birthday to Bianca, that meal would be great served to a human as well!!

Nice work on those . Those flat tops make great food , and steak , peppers and onions is a great way to use it .

I never had a Fajita, but I'm sure I could enjoy one of those Beauties!!
Nice Job, Robert!!
Like.

Bear

Looks so good. That settles it. I was thinking of doing Fajitas for my B-Day next month, getting a new Weber Premier Kettle. Now I have decided Beef and Shrimp Fajitas will be on the Grill. I can't get Skirt Steak in these parts, guess I'll have to suffer through NY Strip. :emoji_scream: ...JJ

Great job, just echoing the above sentiments, those look fabulous! I've been trying to convince The Wife to let me get one of those griddles for several years, but she is already a little irritated with our back patio being so 'cluttered' up with grillin' stuff. <sigh>

I need a bigger house with a patio to match.

Robert those fajitas look fantastic! You are going to love that griddle. I totally understand about spoiled dogs. Our puppies are spoiled rotten lol. They sometimes are what keeps me sane I think!!

First a little history. When Tracy and I met she'd never been married before and didn't have any children. My kids were grown and in college. We decided very early that we didn't want to have kids and be of grandparent age when they graduated high school. The puppy immediately became Tracy's "daughter" and that dog is treated better than most family members are. She's spoiled beyond belief...well in her estimation she's not spoiled, she's just highly deserving. She's also the smartest, most intuitive, and sweetest little thing on the planet. Yesterday was her birthday and Tracy wanted me to make Fat Dog Birthday Fajitas on the new flat top griddle, so I did.

Start with the Certified Piedmontese skirt steak
View attachment 446300

Slice real thin on a 45 degree bias, put in a bowl, and toss with a heavy dose of my fajita spice blend. The meat will sit in the fridge for a few hours
View attachment 446301

Make some fresh pico
View attachment 446302

Got the griddle warming up out on the patio
View attachment 446303

Cut up some red and green bell peppers and onions then toss with a bit of guajillo pepper
View attachment 446304

Onto the griddle
View attachment 446305

Meat and veggies done. Move off to the side and toss on a couple torts. Got a beautiful char on the meat, exactly as I'd hoped
View attachment 446306

Load on the meat
View attachment 446307

Veggies
View attachment 446308

A bunch of fresh grated smoked extra sharp cheddar
View attachment 446309

Let the cheese melt just a bit and put into the taco holders
View attachment 446310

Money shot. Pico added and a nice dollop of sour cream. I'm sorry but those just look SO good!!
View attachment 446311

Birthday girl begging from mommy
View attachment 446312

That's not working so now she's begging from me
View attachment 446313

She knows she never gets anything from the table while we are eating but that doesn't stop her from trying. She gets a little plate of goodies after everything is cleaned up and put away though.

This meal actually served dual purpose. In addition to it being Bianca's birthday, it was also Tracy's mother's birthday. Sadly we lost mom several years ago but she lives on in memories and we try to honor and remember her at times like this. What an amazing lady she was!!

As far as fajitas go, this was a couple of firsts. I've always just seasoned the skirt steak, grilled it whole, then sliced it. This is the first time I've sliced it in advance but it is WAY better this way. There's so much more surface area for the seasonings which really amps up the flavor. This is the first time I've ever cooked them that was not grilled. There's a little BBQ joint in a convenience store not far from the house and I love their beef fajita meat. What really makes it for me is the char. Well, I managed to get that great char this time that has eluded me up to this point. The meat was soft and melt-in-your-mouth tender and veggies were cooked exactly as we liked them. These were really, really good...as well as being huge. Tracy's was a bit smaller but both of mine had to weigh close to a pound each. i managed about 1 3/4 of them then just finished the meat in the last one. At this point it'd be a safe bet that this will be my go-to for fajitas going forward.

Thanks for dropping in,
Robert
Great story Robert. Even better, the food looks awesome! Much respect to you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky