Fast Eddy PG1000

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kabenbow

Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
South Eastern Colorado Plains
Got this grill from an Uncle. Trying to get it to maintain temps is a chore. Just wanted a smaller smoker then having to fire up my big one. Have tried everything to get it to sit at the 200-225 range but wants to continually climb toward 350ish. Tried contacting the company thru email and just got a catalog in the mail, no response. Anyone else have one of these or similar issues? Thanks.

Are you familiar with how to adjust the LHT/HHT settings?

Some swing is normal and desirable but that sounds a little high. Have you read the owners manual? If you didn't get one with the grill, most makers have them for download on their websites or will get you one if you give them a call.
Haha. No I didn’t read the manual. He didn’t give me one. Looked at their forum and used some tips from it. I’ll have to find it and download.

Yes, a little. I looked on their forum and was going by some tips. I’ve ran it at 5&25 temp at 200 with the smoke stack cover off. Temps have been easily 100 here with little humidity. Been using pit boss pellets.

There's a bunch of folks on the PelletFan forum that are very familiar with that controller and can probably help you out a lot. Although it seems a bit confusing at first, the design of the controller makes it possible to adjust the amount of swing, as well as the amount of smoke. It's not PID, but from what I know about it, it can produce very stable temps.

For smoking you don't need nor do you really want PID BS. Some swing is desirable. You're smoking meat not cooking up nitro.
At the bottom of the swing, the controller feeds pellets, the pellets smolder a bit giving off some smoke before they ignite and start giving off heat instead of smoke.
In order to maintain some completely unnecessary uber tight temperature contol, a PID controller is continually dribbling a few pellets into a hotter fire giving them no time to smoke before they light off. It maintins the temperature really tight sure enough but there's little to no smoke.
This is why so many pellet grills have a bad rap for not generating enough smoke to flavor the food so then their users go off burning more pellets in some kinda smoke generator contraption that smoulders pellets to make smoke you could have had for free.
If you've been sold the PID tale, you've basically been had. That's cheated or else the maker just didn't know what the hell they were doing in the first place.

Take a look at any other method of smoking meat and show me one that maintains the cook temperature within a degree or two. You simply won't find any, not even the most rabid of stick burners, no many lies they tell.
It pays to stop, think and look around before acting, especially when that action is spending your money.

PID simply has NO place in smoking meat. The only reason it ever came about is simply because it's free. It's software that was already built into the temperature controller that the grill maker bought and likely didn't design or build themselves because it's electronics not mechanical.

Yeah, right. All of the above expert opinion, is why MAK Grills, which manufacturers one of the most, if not the most, respected pellet grills on the market today, uses PID controllers.

Honestly, you go further and further off the deep end in your rants agains PID controlled pellet grills.

Yeah well I'm no fool and I just hate to see people getting duped and cheated. My pellet grill wasn't my first barbeque rodeo either.
BTW im a retired EE so I know what PID is inside out. But you go right on ahead with your PID nonsense and smoke generators if it makes you happy. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Yeah right. MAK grills and all the others out there with PID controllers, are "duping and cheating" people.

The original poster asked for help concerning his temperature fluctuations in his Fast Eddy.

And you jump in with another of your rants against PID controllers.

I'm going to do him the courtesy of letting others respond to his query in the hopes that he gets his problem solved.

Carry on original poster and others who can offer advice to the management of this issue.

The antics below, in an attempt to derail this thread by carrying on about something that the original poster asked nothing about, I won't be any further part of, and I apologize to the others for even having responded to the irrelevance to the extent that I have.

Last edited:
Easy, Easy. Downloaded the manual and will go thru it. Got a call back from the company and talked with them for awhile. I understand fluctuation and was not expecting it to stay within a few degrees. Especially when cooking for hours what’s 15-25 degrees. I have a homemade smokehouse, gas heated with amaz n pellet trays for smoke. I can keep it down to less than 25 degree swings for long smokes. This cook shack was free and thought it would be easier than my smokehouse for a single butt or brisket. Have always liked this site and where I got my start. Thanks for all the help and happy smoking. Or smoldering. Haha

All. Please don't hijack other members thread with the PID vs Non PID arguments. You already have one going.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky