Fassett's breakfast sausage ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatstick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I'm planning on making some breakfast sausage this weekend using Pop's recipe. I do not have a scale that measures ounces/grams so I am planning to use Pop's conversion. Just a couple questions though:
[h1]3/4 cup salt (167 grams)
1/2 cup black pepper (60 grams)
1/2 cup sage (28 grams)
[/h1][h1]Should I use kosher salt or just regular iodine salt? or does it matter?[/h1]
If I wanted to make a spicy (like Bob Evans zesty..not to spicy) how much red pepper flakes or cayenne should I add?

Thanks guys

I thought about the maple syrup too. That sounds really good. 

Thanks for the info guys

X3 or is it X4 on the Kosher salt...

I made a "Pop's meets Jimmy Dean clone" breakfast sausage a while back.  Used Pop's as a base and kicked it up a little. I thought it was pretty good.  Basically added parsley, thyme, crushed red pepper, ground coriander and MSG to the Pop's basic spice mix.  I keep some Pop's mixed up on hand as a base mix.  I can use it straight up or doctor it as I see fit.  It's a good base for sure!

The recipe for the Pop's meets Jimmy Dean clone is in this thread if you are interested:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/241755/27-pounds-of-trimmed-pork-butt-sausage-sunday

Last edited:
Thanks for the link dward51.

What's the msg for?

Last edited:
That's Pop's recipe, alright. Use 1 1/2 tbs of red pepper flakes. I use kosher salt.
1 tbs per lb of mix and season before grinding then mix well. It's foolproof. Just the right amount of heat. Test patties go fast lol!
We make 5# of patties at a time...

Thank for the info guys.... Good news!  I my scale does measure in ounces.

Well I tried my luck at making Fassett's breakfast sausage and I'm glad I did. Wow... this stuff is really good. I did half regular and the other half spicy. Well spice enough for my wife I guess. I think a little more heat would have been really good. I added 1 1/2 tbs of crushed red pepper flakes to 4 lbs. of meat.

Thanks again guys.

What's the msg for?
Monosodium glutamate (MSG, also known as sodium glutamate) is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, one of the most abundant naturally occurring non-essential amino acids. Monosodium glutamate is naturally found in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, potatoes, mushrooms, and other vegetables and fruits.

MSG is used in the food industry as a flavor enhancer with an umami taste that intensifies the meaty, savory flavor of food, as naturally occurring glutamate does in foods such as stews and meat soups. It was first prepared by Japanese biochemist Kikunae Ikeda, who was seeking to isolate and duplicate the savory taste of kombu, an edible seaweed used as a base for many Japanese soups. MSG as a flavor enhancer balances, blends, and rounds the perception of other tastes. It is particularly popular in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese cuisine.

In large quantities, MSG, is reported to cause "Chinese restaurant syndrome", in that large doses of MSG are reported to cause headaches and other feelings of discomfort, but scientists have been unable to trigger such reactions in controlled studies.

It's the same thing as "Accent" Flavor Enhancer.

View media item 464984

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky