Fassett's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Okay made a lot of sausage today and tried this recipe on 4 pounds of fresh ground and I love it awesome recipe thanks for sharing.

I have a nearly infinite amount of sage (and the new leaves are growing in now - when they are the freshest and most flavorful) so how much fresh sage would you use (versus dry in the recipe)? 3x as much?
My rule of thumb is 3...

If the recipe uses 3 TBSPS fresh sage, then the substitution would be 1 TBSP dried rubbed sage.

If the recipe calls for 3 tsps. dried rubbed sage and all you have is ground sage, use 1 tsp. ground sage.

This gets you in the ball park, you can adjust to taste after the sampler fry patty.

Let the good smoke roll...

i took the recipe and did a few calculations so that i could make a 1 lb batch and came out with
.36 salt
.09 black pepper
.05 sage
when i mixed and fried this, my wife and i agreed that WE would reduce the salt by 25% ( quite salty for us as it was )
this would make our next batch of 1 lb having .27 salt instead of the original .36
over all this is a good tasting patty sausage
we plan to keep tweaking the recipe a little at a time

Reactions: crazymoon
Yes, or just reduce the entire quantity used, such as ¼ oz./lb. from ½/lb., or in the middle, ⅓ oz. /lb.
This keeps the proportions the same but lowers the concentration of the mix.

POP :
this is a very good tasting sausage , thanks for sharing it with us
i certainly did not mean to be critical in any way , i might have miscalculated and got it to salty
when i was trying to figure out how to make a test batch
but thanks again for the recipe

Oh no, just the opposite! I welcome you to try any variations that might make it better for others! PLEASE DO experiment around with it! It's an 8-2-1 recipe; 8 parts salt, 2 parts black pepper, 1 part rubbed sage, if you can get rubbed. I don't vary from those proportions, but will vary from the amount added to meat. Now, my son likes it at ¼ oz/lb. vs.½ oz./lb. I grew up with it as it is, but for him he likes it that way. No problem! We will do sausage a week before Thanksgiving, freezing it in ziploc's, plus a 2 lb. bag for the turkey stuffing!

Reactions: GatorAGR
I also put sausage in our turkey day stuffing. I grew up and still live about 2 hrs. North of Adams, NY. IM 66 now but remember as a kid seeing Fassett's sausage in the stores. It was our family's favorite.

I do mine the same way using the same ingredients including the butter. I buy day old bread and cube it and dry in the oven. I grow my own herbs and make my own poultry seasoning. This stuffing is awesome. But of course you know that.

i tried the commercial mix with 1 lb of meat this morning , and i'm kinda torn between pops and the commercial mix
they both are good but different , the commercial mix called for 3 oz per 10 lbs of meat so i reduced that to .03 to make just one lb and the wife liked it but to me it seemed to need more seasoning ,
pops was very good but salty ( but i can fix that ) now i need to make a decision ... aint life complicated ..lol

I am sure its been done and I've missed it, but has anybody added cure to this and smoked it? what kind of results do you end up with?

we have a local butcher that does an outstanding breakfast sausage that they call "country style" it is a smoked sausage in a hog casing... I found some recipes that have been called country style and they arent even close.

I also remember a cased breakfast sausage as a kid that my grandpa had made in a butcher shop in Shakopee MN, it was kind of a white sausage and had mustard seeds in it, it was a pretty mild flavor (johnsonville stadium brats kind of remind me of the flavor.) any ideas?

i made 30 lbs of breakfast sausage today and decided to tinker with "pops" recipe
what i ended up with was really good , not to salty, just the right amount of sage and black pepper
and since i like it hot i added a bit of red pepper
as i said it turned out some of the best sausage i have ever eaten
here is what i did for 1 lb of sausage
.20 salt
.09 black pepper
.05 sage
.09 red pepper
it was so good i decided to make 15 lbs of it but 1st i did the calculations so that if at a later date i needed 5 lbs i wouldn't have to recalculate
for 5 lb batches
1.00 salt
.45 black pepper
.35 sage
.45 red pepper
and to make the 15 lb batch just multiply x 3
when you mix this seasoning it looks over seasoned but don't let that fool you...its not !!
just mix well and fry
if you don't like it hot just reduce the amount of red pepper
i made 15 lbs of this today and 15 lbs of a commercial blend that i had bought as i like them both
if you like a good country breakfast sausage try "pops" you won't be sorry

what is the best salt to use...regular table salt will it work just fine or something a bit on the coarse side?

I always use kosher salt. I like the way it tastes. That’s just me, I think any plain salt will work. No iodized.

I use just plain, non-iodized salt for curing and seasoning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky