Fan recommendations for mes30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Hi all, I'm considering adding a 115v fan to my mes30 build. I have the wifi auber model and that empty fan outlet is driving me crazy.

I see a couple of options out there. I definitely want to keep the motor (at least) on the outside of the box. What are your opinions on fans and placement of the opening? Prop on a shaft or enclosed blower? Thanks in advance

I'd like to even out the temp variations some, provide better smoke coverage and speed up the air movement a bit. Nothing drastic.

...and that empty plug in the back of may auber seems like it should have something in it. I know it's for an external smoke unit but it could be used for the fan.

I use a mini usb fan in my fermentation chamber. very small. maybe something like that would work for you.

I use a mini usb fan in my fermentation chamber. very small. maybe something like that would work for you.
I like this idea, too, but would it hold up temperature wise? That would be my only concern with respect to adding one to a smoker.

I just added a convection fan to the back of my Masterbuilt propane cabinet. With just a couple of test smokes, I am very happy with the addition.

I used a convection fan out of an old oven. It does provide better smoke distribution and evens out the temperature between the racks. I used to see 30-40 degrees difference. I also added a speed control. I want just enough movement to equalize the temps and move the smoke around.

65F8940F-72E7-4AED-9F55-013B840BA161.jpeg
4C813AA1-812E-45B1-9B47-5C1D96187290.jpeg
44B78345-CA4D-48EF-BB41-8CE4E0C52FA8.jpeg
5F6C80A1-547F-453F-8396-5E11DE348894.jpeg

Reactions: Nefarious and bdawg
Hi all, I'm considering adding a 115v fan to my mes30 build. I have the wifi auber model and that empty fan outlet is driving me crazy.

I see a couple of options out there. I definitely want to keep the motor (at least) on the outside of the box. What are your opinions on fans and placement of the opening? Prop on a shaft or enclosed blower? Thanks in advance
Ask and ye shall receive :D

This link will take you to my post where I have a ton of mods. Scroll down and you will see my convection fan mod to my MES
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-mod-madness-teaser-pics.261790/#post-1697550

This link will take you to the parts list:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-mod-madness-teaser-pics.261790/#post-1697616

Also know that I wired in a volt based fan controller to change the speeds.... was totally not needed just let it run full speed. Was a waste of time, money, and effort for me to add all that but I was figuring this all out on my own as there was no decent info out there for me to rely upon. Hopefully my info helps you out and saves you some time :)

Ask any questions you have because I put in a lot of research and searching for ports. For example the "tube" that guides the fan shaft was made from a stainless steel sharpie pen housing since it was tapered and allowed me to have a reduced hole to help keep smoking from going through and into the fan electronics :)

Ask and ye shall receive :D

This link will take you to my post where I have a ton of mods. Scroll down and you will see my convection fan mod to my MES
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-mod-madness-teaser-pics.261790/#post-1697550

This link will take you to the parts list:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-mod-madness-teaser-pics.261790/#post-1697616

Also know that I wired in a volt based fan controller to change the speeds.... was totally not needed just let it run full speed. Was a waste of time, money, and effort for me to add all that but I was figuring this all out on my own as there was no decent info out there for me to rely upon. Hopefully my info helps you out and saves you some time :)

Ask any questions you have because I put in a lot of research and searching for ports. For example the "tube" that guides the fan shaft was made from a stainless steel sharpie pen housing since it was tapered and allowed me to have a reduced hole to help keep smoking from going through and into the fan electronics :)
Thanks!

I ended up winning this little gem for $20 on eBay that has the blade and nut. Hopefully the shaft is long enough...

I'll wire a pigtail on it and Slap it in a project box.

That should work great. It has the extra fan to cool the motor. You might want to plug it into power other than your PID if you intend to cold smoke without using heat.

Im going to smoke salmon tomorrow and jerky on Thursday. I am very interested in the results using the fan. The cheese I did this weekend is the best batch to date.

That should work great. It has the extra fan to cool the motor. You might want to plug it into power other than your PID if you intend to cold smoke without using heat.

Im going to smoke salmon tomorrow and jerky on Thursday. I am very interested in the results using the fan. The cheese I did this weekend is the best batch to date.

Thanks, I'll put some pictures up as the mod progresses.

Thanks!

I ended up winning this little gem for $20 on eBay that has the blade and nut. Hopefully the shaft is long enough...

I'll wire a pigtail on it and Slap it in a project box.

Nice! I hope it's long enough as well but if not you just cut into the outside-back of the MES and you can recess that into the back wall. Some angle iron or other scrap materials should allow it to be possible. You can fill in any missing insulation with fireplace fiberglass insulation or something similar. That fiberglass has a melting point at like 1200F so will work like a charm.

I'm very curious how it turns out, and again, no need to control the speed on it. Let it go full blast :)

I just created a post for my build:

tallbm tallbm - has the fan altered the way you manage your smokes?
Yeah I think it has sped things up and evened out temps more.
I have a ton of mods going on so all of them together make my setup a super performing beast.

I still get differences in temp along racks left to right and differences between rack levels.
1 handy dandy "mod" that helps big time is that I bought a half sheet of untreated birch or beech wood (can't remember which) and I cut a piece bout the size of the MES racks so it can sit ON TOP of the rack holders.

This way if I'm only using the bottom rack (or bottom 2) I can put piece of wood on the next rack holder up and it traps the heat underneath it quite well. This keeps the heat and smoke from immediately escaping up to the vent.

I will never have even temps since I have a flipped and exposed heating element. My left side will always be hotter than my right side and rack levels will always be different BUT the differences are consistent so I can count on them being the temps I see :)

1 handy dandy "mod" that helps big time is that I bought a half sheet of untreated birch or beech wood (can't remember which) and I cut a piece bout the size of the MES racks so it can sit ON TOP of the rack holders.

Thanks! I'm running test smokes to figure out what kind of monster I have created. I am convinced the fan will be a good addition.

I found a little cookie sheet at the Dollar store that fits my cabinet racks just right - like your wood. I cover it with foil so it works as a drip tray, and it helps spread the heat and smoke around.

I am smoking some salmon right now. I am ramping up the temp over time and the PID is really shinning for this. I love it when a modification works!

Thanks! I'm running test smokes to figure out what kind of monster I have created. I am convinced the fan will be a good addition.

I found a little cookie sheet at the Dollar store that fits my cabinet racks just right - like your wood. I cover it with foil so it works as a drip tray, and it helps spread the heat and smoke around.

I am smoking some salmon right now. I am ramping up the temp over time and the PID is really shinning for this. I love it when a modification works!
Oh yeah man, you are rockin it well!
Yeah PID control is amazing. Do sausage, bacon, jerky, salmon, etc. all without fear of temp spikes ruining the day.

FYI, I even wired in a higher limit safety rollout switch so I could do fast skin on poultry smokes to get good skin. It's the only time I go up to 325F since it's quick. The insulation is not rated to be working over that for a long period of time. All other smokes are 275F max.
I really can do anything in my smoker as long as it doesnt need 325F+ for more than 3-4 hours.

This is not for most people to do this but if someone is well prepared and knowledgeable and watches their setup well, then they can make their own decisions about it haha.

Ok, the project is complete. I used the fan from ebay that I purchased for $20, I stuffed it into a waterproof project box, installed a weatherproof power strip and bingo bango we have circulation.

Attachments

• 20211217_141316.jpg
    20211217_141316.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211217_155938.jpg
    20211217_155938.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211217_155944.jpg
    20211217_155944.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211217_155940.jpg
    20211217_155940.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 31
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky