FAJITA MARINADE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Fellow smokers. I am looking for a "tried and true" Fajita Marinade. I looked a little on the forum and didn't see any that interest me. I didn't spend hours looking either. Just thought someone has one that they have used many times and would share it. Thanks

A while back I had an old man teach me that the secret to good fajitas is the 5 S's:
1. Season
2. Sear
3. Smoke
4. Sautee (in lots of butter)
5. Serve

It doesn't answer your marinade question, but I can tell you I've never made better fajitas. For the season I just use a good and simple SPOG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawging It
Chile's Fajita Marinade

3/4C Olive or Vegetable oil
1/4C Worcestershire sauce
1/8C Soy sauce
1/3C Lime juice
2T Garlic, minced
1T Cumin
1T Chili Powder, could be a mix, cayenne or any straight ground chile, e.g. Ancho, Guajillo or etc
1T Sugar
2t Red Pepper Flakes
2t Salt
1/2t Black Pepper

Combine all ingredients and marinate meat for at least four hours.
Sear meat on a blazing hot grill, you want a good char for the added flavor.

A while back I had an old man teach me that the secret to good fajitas is the 5 S's:
1. Season
2. Sear
3. Smoke
4. Sautee (in lots of butter)
5. Serve

It doesn't answer your marinade question, but I can tell you I've never made better fajitas. For the season I just use a good and simple SPOG.
I can do that. Thanks Preacher

Chile's Fajita Marinade

1/8C Soy sauce
1/3C Lime juice
2T Garlic, minced
1T Cumin
1T Chili Powder, could be a mix, cayenne or any straight ground chile, e.g. Ancho, Guajillo or etc
1T Sugar
2t Red Pepper Flakes
2t Salt
1/2t Black Pepper

Thank you. Everything you have is readily available at the grocery. I'm gonna give it a shot very soon. Thanks again!!

Chile's Fajita Marinade

1/8C Soy sauce
1/3C Lime juice
2T Garlic, minced
1T Cumin
1T Sugar
2t Red Pepper Flakes
2t Salt
1/2t Black Pepper

chilerelleno Can I marinate overnight?

Here's the one I have been using for decades...JJ

I just noticed how close mine is to Chile's!
Lol, great minds and all that.

Shrimp Fajita Marinade

1/4C Red Wine Vinegar or Fresh Lime Juice

1/4C Olive Oil

2T Soy Sauce

2T Brown Sugar

1T Chili Powder

1tsp Oregano, Mexican preferred.

1/2tsp Kosher Salt

1/2tsp Black Pepper

3-4 Cloves Garlic, Minced.

Combine all and whisk well. Set aside.

Clean Shrimp and add to marinade.

Marinate 30 minutes and drain Shrimp.

Thread on soaked bamboo skewers.

Smoke or Grill as desired till just cooked through.

Makes about 3/4 Cup, enough for 1-2 pounds of Shrimp.

Note: Great on 2 pounds Chicken and Beef also. Marinate 8 to 12 hours.

Shrimp Fajita Marinade

1/4C Olive Oil

2T Soy Sauce

2T Brown Sugar

1T Chili Powder

1/2tsp Kosher Salt

1/2tsp Black Pepper

Shrimp Fajita Marinade

1/4C Olive Oil

2T Soy Sauce

2T Brown Sugar

1T Chili Powder

1/2tsp Kosher Salt

1/2tsp Black Pepper

Thank you chef!

¼ cup of chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 ½ tablespoons coarse sea salt
1 ½ tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons oregano
3 teaspoons Ancho Chili powder

-Rub both sides of steak with lime juice and then sprinkle with the seasoning mix over the meat generously on both sides and rub in well. Be sure to reserve about 1 tablespoon of the seasoning to use later.

-Place in a plastic sack and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 40 minutes before grilling.

¼ cup of chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 ½ tablespoons coarse sea salt
1 ½ tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons oregano
3 teaspoons Ancho Chili powder

-Rub both sides of steak with lime juice and then sprinkle with the seasoning mix over the meat generously on both sides and rub in well. Be sure to reserve about 1 tablespoon of the seasoning to use later.

-Place in a plastic sack and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 40 minutes before grilling.
I like it as well! Thanks ironhorse

I have researched this quite a bit and the basis for a classic tex mex fajita marinade for skirt steak is 3 parts fresh pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part water. The pros vacuum tumble. Have not done it but on deck soon and will report back. I developed my own marinade for chicken based on margarita mix and salsa. Need to do that again as I don't recall the ratio.

I have researched this quite a bit and the basis for a classic tex mex fajita marinade for skirt steak is 3 parts fresh pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part water. The pros vacuum tumble. Have not done it but on deck soon and will report back. I developed my own marinade for chicken based on margarita mix and salsa. Need to do that again as I don't recall the ratio.
Thanks zwiller

So....I have a question.
Whenever I go looking for an 'authentic' recipe, I always go back to how the dish was originally prepared and the history surrounding how it was created. I can see mexico having access to pineapple because pineapple originated from South America. But soy sauce? There were no soy beans growing on the continent then. Is the soy sauce a replacement for a specialty ingredient not readily available outside of the local area? Curious......

Reactions: zwiller
Chinese were once the second largest immigrant population in Mexico during the mid to late 19th century.
This is where soy and fish sauces came into play along with some cooking methods.
Carne asada almost always contains soy sauce.

And similarly you'll find a lot of German influences in food, music and blond haired, blue eyed Mexicans in certain regions.

Another classic example is Al Pastor, it originates from the middle eastern shawarma.
Brought to Mexico by the Lebanese in the early 1900's.

Take India as one small example of somewhere very far away that people don’t usually associate with Mexico.
In India there is a delicious dessert that is based on rice and milk.
Mexico has an identical typical dessert named “arroz con leche”.
The only difference is Mexicans use cinnamon and top it with raisins, Indians use cardemum (and even the flavor in these two spices is similar).
Both countries think it was invented locally.
Who influenced who? Who knows?
Both traditional dishes are hundreds of years old by now.

Historically, Mexican cooks have been extremely effective at adopting and incorporating new flavors and techniques. They’ve been doing it continuously for half a millenia, longer than any other civilization.

Mexican food is perhaps the first world fusion cuisine

Last edited:
Chinese were once the second largest immigrant population in Mexico during the mid to late 19th century.
This is where soy and fish sauces came into play along with some cooking methods.
Carne asada almost always contains soy sauce.

And similarly you'll find a lot of German influences in food, music and blond haired, blue eyed Mexicans in certain regions.

Another classic example is Al Pastor, it originates from the middle eastern shawarma.
Brought to Mexico by the Lebanese in the early 1900's.

Take India as one small example of somewhere very far away that people don’t usually associate with Mexico. In India there is a delicious dessert that is based on rice and milk.
Mexico has an identical typical dessert named “arroz con leche”.
The only difference is Mexicans use cinnamon and top it with raisins, Indians use cardemum (and even the flavor in these two spices is similar).

Both countries think it was invented locally.
Who influenced who? Who knows? Both traditional dishes are hundreds of years old by now.

Historically, Mexican cooks have been extremely effective at adopting and incorporating new flavors and techniques. They’ve been doing it continuously for half a millenia, longer than any other civilization.

Mexican food is perhaps the first world fusion cuisine
That's very interesting, Thanks for sharing it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky