Failure, with hope in the future plus questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 28, 2017
For the second time I bought a piece of a brisket flat that was only about two pounds. It cooked for entirely too long to get to the proper temp and it was never going to be tender. It was mostly dried out. The bark was good though. I used Kosmos injection on it as an experiment. I hoped the injection would keep it moist, but I now realize that such a small piece of meat is not worth smoking. However, even though it was dried out the flavor was really good. Excited to try this on a smaller, but full sized brisket. 

Also I picked up a "beef blade roast" yesterday. My thought was to take it to around 200 and do pulled beef. Is that a good idea?

I don't buy Flats any more. If l don't need a 10+ pound packer, I buy Points . Like pork butt, they are hard to mess up. Your pulled beef plan is sound, though 200 may be low. Still a good temp to start probe testing...JJ

I don't buy Flats any more. If l don't need a 10+ pound packer, I buy Points . Like pork butt, they are hard to mess up. Your pulled beef plan is sound, though 200 may be low. Still a good temp to start probe testing...JJ
That sounds like exactly what I need. I'll have to talk to the meat cutters because I would prefer to just get the point if possible. My mind has been blown now. 

Here is another question. Yesterday I mixed the Kosmos in a mixing cup and drew the liquid from the cup while injecting the brisket. There was plenty of liquid left so I transferred that to an airtight mixing cup and put it in the fridge. Today I cleaned the injector and used the same batch of liquid to inject the blade roast. Because the needle went in and out of the brisket/liquid yesterday does that mean that the whole batch of liquid should have been tossed. Does that mean that the hunk of roast on my smoker now is contaminated and is trash?

The injector will transfer bacteria to the batch. Between refrigeration and liquid make up, salt, acid, alcohol, it won't multiply, much, but is there. Can you use it the next day? Yes. Can you make a gallon and inject meat every weekend for 2 months? No, you are asking for trouble.

Injecting anything is likely to push bacteria in to the meat and contaminate the batch of liquid. This is with the very first piece and subsequent hunks, today or tomorrow. It is now critical that EVERYTHING else you do is safe. No warming on the counter. Babysit the cook so the smoker temp stays above 225, make sure you reach safe ITs and are held there as required for Pasteurization. All will be fine...JJ

Thanks for the info. Today's meat has been on for about 5 hours in the 275 range and the IT is at 185. I now know how to better handle the injection liquid should it be something that I want to use on a regular basis. 

you know what those  flats like that are good for  smoked pastrami !!

brine it up  get a bit of smoke on it then  foil them babies  up in x3 layers then  finish them off in the oven 225  6 hours  let them rest overnight in the fridge then add some more pastrami  rub then hit them up on the broiler  for a little to  finish the surface  then slice it up  reheat in a pan and boom you got pastrami sandwiches !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky