Factory Controller Bypassed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kbarnes12

Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Several days ago I posted asking how to bypass the factory controller on my MES so I could use my Auber Instruments controller. I got several responses and appreciate all the advice. I also contacted Auber Instruments and sent them a picture of my relay. I got a very simple answer (which I needed), unplug the 2 wires from relay and connect them with the jumper cable.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I have attached photos of this conversion.

The first shows the box where my relay is.
Relay Box.jpeg

The second shows the 2 wires disconnected,
Relay Unplugged.jpeg

The third shows the jumper cable connecting the 2 wires
Jumper Wire Connected.jpeg

And finally the 4th shows the Auber controller working like a champ.
Auber Controller.jpeg

Last edited:
Holy Crap! I just had to make a short jumper cable to bypass the relay on mine.
Its homemade from a warming cabinet 3 300 watt heaters built in then a 1500 watt 2 inkbirds, 2 switches 2 ssr's, 3 outlets coming out, 1 inlet, 2 thermal switches for a cooling fan blah blah blah. You had the right idea keep it simple.

• Wow
Reactions: kbarnes12
For any electric smoker setup, it can't get much simpler than wiring a heavy gauge extension cord directly to your element and then plugging the other end into the Auber. Soooooo easy.

Last edited:
Auber has a great instruction document for modifying your MES smoker. I have an MES 340G I've modified to use with my Auber WSD-1500H-W.

But CAUTION, put a warning sticker(I wrote a note with a sharpie on blaze orange duct tape) on the plug so nobody makes the mistake of plugging it into a regular power outlet, because that leaves the power to the heating element "always on". Of course that is is not what you want, and might even be dangerous.

I also want to give a shout-out for the Auber "Circulation Fan Kit", which ensures that everything in the box is exposed to the same temp and smoke density.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky