F-RM-52 fermentation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yakman34

Original poster
Jan 18, 2023
I will be making dried venison and pork sausage, after ferment i will smoke and then dry until desired weight. My question is can i ferment in a plastic bag for 24-48 hours then stuff,smoke and dry? I remember hanging the sausage and covering with Black plastic for fermentation at desired temp. for the culture. Normally all the work is done at the deer lease and am just trying to do as much as i can at home. Thanks in advance for replies.

You need to stuff the meat soon after adding the culture and mixing. The reason for this is the sausage texture will change during fermentation creating a bind. If you wait to stuff it, you will not achieve that bind again and you will have a lot of air pockets in the sausage. Air pockets are not desireable in a dried sausage because of bad pathogens and molds.

You also want the culture to explode in growth inside the casing to create competative exclusion against bad bacteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller and jcam222
You need to stuff the meat soon after adding the culture and mixing. The reason for this is the sausage texture will change during fermentation creating a bind. If you wait to stuff it, you will not achieve that bind again and you will have a lot of air pockets in the sausage. Air pockets are not desireable in a dried sausage because of bad pathogens and molds.

You also want the culture to explode in growth inside the casing to create competative exclusion against bad bacteria.
Thanks for the info. So then can i stuff and then cover with plastic to ferment or do they need to be in open air to ferment?

In plastic would be fine for the home producer. You want the RH above 90% and this will do it. Just be vigilant checking for slimy surface which would indicate bad yeast. If you wrap in plastic, I recommend hanging in front of a gentle fan for about 30min. once fermentation is complete.

I was thinking of maybe putting all the stuffed links in an ice chest with lid closed to ferment, but i'm afraid of meat spoiling. temperature will be in range for the culture I'm using, maybe I'm over thinking this

I was thinking of maybe putting all the stuffed links in an ice chest with lid closed to ferment, but i'm afraid of meat spoiling. temperature will be in range for the culture I'm using, maybe I'm over thinking this
If you use enough salt, use cure, and add a culture, then mix properly....the meat will be fine. Learn the degree hours formula so you understand the maximum amount of time the sausages should be held above 60*F....
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-types/fermented-sausage/standards

do I need to spray them down with vinegar if they form the slime on them? will it make you sick?
That will depend on whether you are using a beneficial mold surface culture. If yes, the mold will eventually take care of the slime for the most part. Far as I know, the slime is not toxic per say, but it is an indication that there is now an anaerobic environment on the surface of the sausage and this can give bad anaerobic toxic pathogens a foothold where there are no good fermentation bacteria on the outside of the sausage.

That will depend on whether you are using a beneficial mold surface culture. If yes, the mold will eventually take care of the slime for the most part. Far as I know, the slime is not toxic per say, but it is an indication that there is now an anaerobic environment on the surface of the sausage and this can give bad anaerobic toxic pathogens a foothold where there are no good fermentation bacteria on the outside of the sausage.
10-4 understood

Most of the people down here in south Texas just use a #1 or #2 cure salt and smoke and dry but i figured the culture would just add another safety factor to it.
If you are going to cook the sausages, this is a non issue. The smoke/cooking process will kill the yeast anyhow.

What are you making? Summer Sausage??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky