Eye Round Wrong Way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Eye Round The Wrong Way

I know, This was Dumb, but I had to try it!!
I guess I got so Cocky, I thought my Ninja could do anything.
Well I’m here to tell you it can’t make a Tender Eye Round all on it’s own.
That takes a Sous Vide!! Next time I’m going Sous Vide on Eye Round, and finish in the Ninja!
This thing tasted awesome, and was very edible when sliced thin.
It would have made Great Sammies if I used my auto-slicer to slice it paper thin.

Then when I reheated some for sammies, I just chopped it up & that was good too.

Oh Well, You don’t know for sure, unless you try!

Bear

About a Half of an Eye Round:
IMG_7964.jpeg

Cross-hatch cut for seasoning penetration:
IMG_7966.jpeg

Seasoned & Smart Probe inserted:
IMG_7968.jpeg

Just started, with target Temp set at 120°, and current IT of 45°:
IMG_7970.jpeg

Ninja stopped, and 42 seconds of the 5 minutes rested so far:
IMG_7974.jpeg

Ready for slicing:
IMG_7975.jpeg

Sliced enough for Supper:
IMG_7976.jpeg

Bear's first supper of Roast Beef, Mashed Taters with Beef Gravy, and mixed Veggies:
IMG_7977.jpeg

Second Night---Chopped Roast Beef with Horseradish Sauce, topped with Melted Provolone:
IMG_7982.jpeg

Well we live and learn John, old dogs really can learn new tricks! You know sous vide is the way to go, Run what left thru your slicer, it'll make good sanny's. RAY

Reactions: tallbm
At least now you know... besides, if you hadn't tried it would have kept nagging you! That first plateful is my kind of meal! But many more to come.

Ryan

Bear, we learn by doing. Besides we can always eat out mistakes.
Though, the eye of round still looks like a tasty mistake to me.

Boo on the Bear, :emoji_laughing:
Well as you said we live and learn trial and error is good lesson.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Well we live and learn John, old dogs really can learn new tricks! You know sous vide is the way to go, Run what left thru your slicer, it'll make good sanny's. RAY

Thank You Ray!!
Yup, I got a whole Eye Round in my freezer. I'll eventually be running that through my Sous Vide, and then to the Ninja for appearance & Flavor.
I still might "Thin-slice" most of it anyway.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good from here even though it may be wrong way! That would be an incredible sandwich! Thank you for letting me learn from you!

Bear, we learn by doing. Besides we can always eat out mistakes.
Though, the eye of round still looks like a tasty mistake to me.

Thank You Stu!!
Yup, it was very tasty, just a little too tough.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

At least now you know... besides, if you hadn't tried it would have kept nagging you! That first plateful is my kind of meal! But many more to come.

Ryan

Thank You Ryan!!
Exactly!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Still looks real good to me, John. I'm sure with the Sous Vide you'll get the tenderness you want with any cut. Excellent looking meals as always.

Bear, That looks good to me !

Thank You CM !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Eye of round calls for a crock pot or instant cooker for me as pot roast and gravy. Your's does look good.

Thank You Joe!!
Yup, we always did ours in the Crockpot, but SV is even better, because it doesn't overcook things.

Bear

I use to methods on the eye of the round.

First Choice: Sous-Vide

Second Choice: Oven which I used before I bought the Sous Vide.

Oven Directions Below:

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Season roast with salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan or baking dish. Do not cover or add water

2. Place roast in preheated oven. Reduce the Temp to 475 degrees F. Roast for 21 minutes (7 min per pound) then turn off oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. Do not open the oven at all during this time! (FYI I am using a 3 lb. roast above if it was a 4 lb. it would be 28 minutes)

3. Remove the roast from the oven. The internal temp should be at least 145 degrees F. Let set for 20 min. Carve into thin slices to serve

Thanks

Sometimes you just gotta satisfy the curiosity right?Now you know. I wonder if you could Sous vide it now for hours to tenderize? Kind of a reverse sous vide haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky