External rust pitting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DJC62

Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
Orange Grove, TX
I've started on my 250 gal build and came across some rust pitting on the outside of the tank. I'm really wanting to make this look nice when I'm done so I'd like to fill the pitting with something. Would be too large of an area to weld/grind. Does anyone know of a product that can be applied over the pitted area then sanded/ground prior to painting? It's on the CC around the doors area (have yet to cut them) and would be very noticeable if not filled. Thanks.

Maybe an epoxy like JB Weld? I don't know it it would take the heat though.

The heat is basically why I was asking. I found a couple products, Lab Metal and Thermosteel that say they are good to something like 1000 degrees but some reviews aren't the best. Was just wondering if anyone here had ever used anything like that and how it worked out.

Could it be possible to sand/grind the edges to feather out the bad spots?, another way would be to use a torch and some brass rods to coat the area, the hard part would be cutting thru it for doors if using a torch, I used a jig saw cutting my tank, thinnest cut I could make with limited resources . Not sure what kind of primer you plan to use but maybe multiple coats possibly . Good luck lot of different ways to go at it

Here's what I was talking about Dave.

I've never used this product, but I do trust the brand.

My guess is that the expansion and contraction of the metal pretty much eliminates the use of any type of filler product.

As suggested above, sanding and feathering may be you best option.

I'm not a welder for sure. Keep in mind, I have not seen the area of concern. Just a thought? If all else fails, Cut something decorative the same size of the pitted area and tack weld it over it.

Reactions: DJC62
Thanks guys for the ideas. I didn't see the areas when I was looking at the tank prior to purchase, my bad. I will try to grind/sand/etc to remove as much as I can without affecting structural strength of the steel. I think I'll just have to deal with it when I get to that point in my build. Did some googling and found a few things that ;might' work but I don't know. I do like JB Weld products. Was really disappointing when I turned the tank all the way over and saw that. I could always get another tank for my build I guess before going any further. Might have to go out, turn it over, stare at it for a while as I toss a cold one and see what I think.

Cookers eventually look groady, no matter how well you take care of them. Surface rust eventually gets them all.

The paint on my new offset's fire box has already started to go, and the smoker was new in September. By watching You Tube vids, it looks like it's not an isolated occurrence, and not specific to any brand.

I suggest that you create a surface for paint to adhere to, and lay down a nice paint job. It will look good and nobody (but you) will notice any imperfection. I would not fill any surface blemish.

Good luck with your project. It sounds like fun.

Reactions: DJC62
Finally finished it up a few months ago.... Not the best work I can do but it performs quite well.
Can't wait for the steer to get to size (ear tag 63). I'm pouring the grain to him every day. Should be ready by winter.

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8143.JPG
    IMG_8143.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8144.JPG
    IMG_8144.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8145.JPG
    IMG_8145.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8150.JPG
    IMG_8150.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8151.JPG
    IMG_8151.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8347.JPG
    IMG_8347.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 19
That is a thing of beauty right there... You would have a hard time trying to find that to purchase... Excellent job...

Is that it's final resting spot or is it going on a trailer ?

It's sitting in front of my 32x36 work shop, house is to the left and behind me when I took the picture. It's staying here on the farm. I've ran it 4 times, seems to do well where it's sitting but if one day it's in the way I'll just move it with the tractor. I did add a metal plate between the door stops and back just a touch as I bought a WIFI 4 probe temp system. Got rid of the bluetooth..... Didn't burn nearly as much wood as I thought when going low and slow. Also have vent on the back side of the firebox along the top and the firebox door has a vertical vent and another vent below the door. Allows me to get air in any direction depending on which way it's blowing that day (usually out of the south around here). My initial burn in/seasoning/paint curing went through a bit bringing it up to about 450 for a couple hours. But normal cooking it does fine. I'm planning out my Santa Maria grill now.... steel prices are going to make it hurt but we'll see.

I used the JB weld as if it were bondo with a plastic putty knife. Ground it down smooth with a flap disk on my grinder. Came out pretty good, just have to let it cure for a week or so to make sure it's well hardened. So far after 4 (5 including initial higher temp burn in) nothing has let go. I didn't get it perfect as a car body but for a smoker it worked well. Bought the large tubes of JB Weld mixed the entire contents of both tubes well and got after it. Now, if I can get past being able to lay a decent bead one day and can't weld for crap the next I'd be doing good.... I really appreciate everyone's ideas from a while back, it help me tremendously. Love this site and all the wealth of info everyone contributes. After hay season I'm going to build a santa maria grill with a couple of my own touches and I'm sure I'll be digging through the forums here for info.

Reactions: Nodak21
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky