Expiration date

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkc64

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 7, 2011
Portland, TN.
So i am planning to make some summer sausage this weekend and was going to use F-LC starter. It has been vac sealed and in the freezer since the last time I tried it (several months ago). I looked at the package today and noticed it states best by 07.2021. Will it be ok to use or just toss it and use citric acid?

Your fine.
Some of my Bactoferms have been frozen for years and still perform as they did when first opened. Keep the open packages rolled over and taped, Then store the closed packages in a freezer zip lock bag.

Reactions: crazymoon
Thank you both for your replies.
Thought that might be the case, I think the FDA requires a best by/expiration date on all products.
Another question I can't seem to find an answer to. Can I use cheese in a fermented sausage?

I do buy high temp cheese from various suppliers I have learned of here. Thank you for all the great info you and others have posted here.

Home made dry cure ginger salami with mix in of smoked cheese.
Yes you can put cheese in salami.
IMG_5896.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky