Experts please confirm Numbers prior to first cut.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MattMuir

Original poster
Feb 7, 2020
Glen Rock Pa
Hello all. getting ready to cut into a tank and would love the experts to weigh in on the numbers I got from Feldons. I am building a Reverse Flow from what I was told was a 100 gal tank. Tank is 48" tall, 31" wide , with a circumference of 95". Top and bottom are rounded. Was told by client who was in the business this is a snowman tank.
Feldons said firebox should be 20x20x20, 5"inch stack 20 inches tall and half moon connection 12 inches. my question is the half moon shape 12 wide by 4 deep? and what size opening on the other end? Sorry for the nube questions, just want to cut once. I have seen daveomack nail these numbers and would love some conformation.

So far I have purged with bleach,dawn and water. Itching to get after it with the plasma cutter! I will post pics when I can figure out how.

Thanks, Matt

Hey Matt, before you start cutting, run your numbers on Dave’s calculator (you will find it on the sticky thread at the top of reverse flow. Feldon’s is a good start, but taken literally, it has some quirks that can cause real frustration down the road. Dave does a petty good job explaining his methodology and his numbers will get you squarely in the park.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to use the sticky but may be missing something. It seems like complete Greek to me. Should this calculator look like Feldons? All I see are sq inch calculations? How doe yo calculate a half moon in sq inches :)

Thanks Matt

Thanks Pete, I am getting 140 with new measurements with that calculator. Its very cool with the rounded ends included. Guess I should not overthink this. Every one of these tells me something different.

Ok, from what I can see I have a 140 gal tank. I am thinking that a bigger FB of 24x24x24 may be better for a few reasons, especially less cutting on the sheet of metal. from what I see I need 110 sq in throat opening which give me a half moon of 24 width and a height of 6.5. Stack height of 35 with a 5 in diameter. Sound about right from those that have built before?

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky