Ever try to go back to your birth name?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was born Colin Scott, that's Colin with a long O. Like Secretary of State Colin Powell. Got teased as a kid about being an A-hole so Scott is the name I go by to family and friends. For business I like to use Colin but nobody will pronounce it with a long O, its always Collin. So, now y'all know.
Wow, kids can be real a-holes.

Was born with Clifford, along the way nickname was Pink when i was a kid (no idea why). Most of my friends call me cliffy, I am good now a days with most anything...lol

Steven here but always go by Steve.

I had a friend in Jr. High/High School whose name was Steve, too.
When he was in 7th grade, he had the start of a real scraggly dark beard/mustache. Think like Shaggy from Scooby doo, except patchier and really dark. Somebody started calling him Fungus. He was a great guy, very popular, and he laughed and embraced it. It stuck.
For the next few years, that's all everybody called him. It got to where lots of kids knew who Fungus was, but had no idea that his real name was Steve. His mom would go ballistic when somebody would call his house asking if Fungus was there.
Finally, we just started calling him Gus for short by about his Jr. year, and that's been what everybody calls him since.

I was named after my father and I'm a junior, but can't tell y'all how many times the "Jr." is left off of my name.

Mostly Charles, but been called Charlie, Chuck, Chuckie and some others I won't mention. Mom and Dad always called me Cotton. I'll answer to most anything...

OMG. . .You guys got nothing on me.

Both my parents emigrated from Greece (long story). In the Greek culture, the first born are always named after paternal grandparents. When my twin brother and I were born, the tradition was continued. I was named Ignatius and my brother Sarantos. Thank God we had a 16-year-old cousin who demanded that "when these two are ready for school, he will be called Johnny, and he will be called Sammy." Can you imagine how brutal our lives would have been in the 50s and 60s if we had been saddled with our given names? Fortunately, times have changed, so when my grandson was named after me, his parents chose Ignatius instead of John. Iggy has resurrected my birth name!

John

I am a David also. The only people who refer to me as David are those who I am related to. Ever since high school I've went by Dave. My girlfriend of 17 years has called me David once joking around. Other than that my cousin Big L and his son JET call me Davey, and they are the only ones who can.
That about sums it up here too. My wife, step kids, former GFs, all call me David 100% of the time. Everyone else defaults to Dave. I guess I dont really care. My mom calls me Dave too. Probably no way to make a change, my giveas**ter is weakening and moving on.

In college I picked a nickname becase there were too many Dave’s so the clan made up extensions; Durango Dave (not me). I’ll give it up here but I am concerned someone will know me…Hairy Dave was my handle. My two friends of many decades and my college bros still use it. It is fitting as I am a very hairy guy And proud of it.

great stories guys! really good stuff.

Growing up during the 50s and 60s in a blue collar steel town, "a-holes" was a mild adjective to describe kids! LOL!

We were brutal but still. . .A great time in our lives!

John
Well, as I walk around these days, there are people who were not adjusted well enough by the other kids, and now they are a-holes lol.

Growing up during the 50s and 60s in a blue collar steel town, "a-holes" was a mild adjective to describe kids! LOL!

We were brutal, but still. . .A great time in our lives!

John
Things were similar in the 60s and 70s in rural America. A--hole was basically thought of as a compliment. A WOKE crowd we weren't.

My real name is Christopher. Folks have called me Chris since I can remember. Except when my parents or someone of authority were mad at me. Then it was Christopher <insert middle name and last name here>.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
Except when my parents or someone of authority were made at me. Then it was Christopher <insert middle name and last name here>.
Yeah, you knew **it was fixing to hit the fan when your full first name, middle name, and last name were used.

Reactions: sandyut
Born James, went by Jimmy as there was already 2 James's in the family. Changed to Jim when I went off to college (you know, cause I was an adult). Wife still calls me Jimmy (and other things considering the situation at the moment). At work I'm James as everthing has to have our official name on it.
Lots of great stories here.

Jim

Reactions: noboundaries
Well, my name is one of those you can't really nick without it sounding ridiculous, but my sister/Daphne/Daph, brother1/Michael/Mike, brother2/Scott/Scotty (family only), and brother3/Marcus/Marc.

My husband was Norman/Norm.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky