Eugene/Springfield area lack of good BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunbearCrafts

Original poster
Jun 20, 2019
hi all, am I the only one that truly feels the Eugene Springfield area is absolutely missing an OUT OF THIS WORLD BBQ joint?

Yeah there’s a couple spots here and there and a food truck that actually does some decent cue, but I really NEED me a good real deal bbq joint around here. Been here 5 years and haven’t been really impressed with any bbq in the area except rattlesnake bbq out by dexter lake, but even though I live closer now than when I first tried it, it’s still 25 mins each way.

I wonder why that is? Any thoughts? It’s a crazy dream but I would love to one day own and operate an incredible bbq joint around here!

First of all, welcome to SMF!
Next, I will venture to say, that it is nearly impossible to get better quality smoked meat than what you can make at home. That is to say, once you have mastered your art with the equipment you've got, no commercial cue will compare.
The only other BBQ joint around here that I would recommend is Big Stuff BBQ in Cottage Grove. But it is also a bit of a drive for you. You are right though about the lack of Q joints around here. You instead will find a plethora of restaurants that cater to vegan, organic, halal, kosher, gluten-free etc. in the Eugene/Springfield area.

Erik

Hey, SBC, I saw your howdy post, then this one. I have a theory why good bbq is rare on the West Coast.

Bbq on the West Coast is really grilling. True smoking of large cuts if meat evolved differently in the east compared to the west. The east had huge hardwood forests, whereas the west had mesquite, some oak, and lots of pine/redwood trees unfit for smoking but fine for cooking heat once the volatiles burned off.

Personally, I was happy with grilling until I lived in the South and Texas, tasting what hardwood smoke can do for meat. It is still rare ro find a bbq place in the West that knows how to smoke meat, that's why I do my own.

Grilling is in the West's culture; smoking in the East's. Plus, there is a greater cultural and culinary diversity in the East for preparing meat than there is in the West.

First of all, welcome to SMF!
Next, I will venture to say, that it is nearly impossible to get better quality smoked meat than what you can make at home. That is to say, once you have mastered your art with the equipment you've got, no commercial cue will compare.
The only other BBQ joint around here that I would recommend is Big Stuff BBQ in Cottage Grove. But it is also a bit of a drive for you. You are right though about the lack of Q joints around here. You instead will find a plethora of restaurants that cater to vegan, organic, halal, kosher, gluten-free etc. in the Eugene/Springfield area.

Erik
I have to agree. Nothing like homemade "Q".

Thanks for the replies guys! I am totally aware of all those reasons listed and the “east vs west” thing really does make a lot of sense.
Of course home Made is always better, but it just baffles me that there’s nowhere close I can just go grab a nice order of brisket or a big ol rack of beef spare ribs whenever I want without a 25+ min drive!

Also on browneyes comment, I WISH there were halal or kosher places here! That’s the other big food void I’m missing in this area, Levantine(Middle eastern) cuisine! My dad’s from Israel and I grew up eating that regions cuisine all the time, and being from Los angeles it was just about as easy to find as a taco truck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky