Etiquette: Should I post anyway?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Should I ask a question or search first?

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I suggested to an admin that is posts used the tags in a structured way, we could use the tags to sort with. This mechanism is used on a technical site, stack overflow, and is very useful. The issue here is probably managing the tags, some people use them and others don't so it would be a big burden for the administrators.

We do try to tag threads when we read them, but it is a never ending battle.
When you post a new thread you should tag it with the appropriate tags so it will be easily searched. That is what the tags are for. If you want folks to be able to search & find your threads then tag them. I must admit I forget to do it myself. I guess I’ll have to go back & check my threads to see if I have the appropriate tags too! :emoji_anguished:
Al

We do try to tag threads when we read them, but it is a never ending battle.
When you post a new thread you should tag it with the appropriate tags so it will be easily searched. That is what the tags are for. If you want folks to be able to search & find your threads then tag them. I must admit I forget to do it myself. I guess I’ll have to go back & check my threads to see if I have the appropriate tags too! :emoji_anguished:
Al
I think the issue is it is not done consistently. As an example I did an advanced search by tag and used the two tags 'pork' and 'recipe' and the result was two entries. And If I do 'brisket' and 'recipe' I get five entries.

The point is, at least to me, it is a huge effort to organize it all, I try to tag and search by tag, then I still ask because it feels like I didn't get all of the information I need. I am very new here, maybe 4 months of smoking, so many things I have never experienced. I like information so after I search I just ask.

Reactions: BXMurphy
Search first, dummy!

Just kidding, just kidding. Really I say ask away. Really for multiple reasons. Like you said it keeps the conversations going but other reasons as well. We get new people here all the time who might not know about the search feature, plus it new posts give them a chance to see how things work around here. Also might drum up interest in the subject you post in members who are new or have been here a while. Plus you might get an answer from someone who has a different way of doing things but never posted it before.

I'm definitely a "search first" kind of person. It's just my nature. It usually helps me get a basic picture of the info I'm looking for. But doesn't really help if I'm looking for something more specific. That's when I'll start asking questions.

People like me definitely appreciate the new posts. Asking the same old boring question in a new way might generate new answers by making the experts think about it in a different way. Or maybe it will catch the eye of someone who wasn't around to answer an old thread when it was first posted.

This place is like an encyclopedia, and there's nothing wrong with expanding it v

I’ve been lurking on this site for a very long time. Over the years I thought a couple of times about joining but what kept me from doing it were what I called the “askholes.” These were the guys who condescendingly berated anyone who asked a question that could have been searched for and then, almost in a way that arrogantly displayed their wisdom of the knowledge base contained on the site, would hint at where to find it. I saw many newbies run into an askhole and then never return. I lurked because I didn’t want the drama and then I stopped lurking altogether. I restarted my lurking a few years ago and once I saw this wasn’t happening anymore, I decided to stop lurking and join (and contribute my failures, haha!).

That said, I don‘t care if someone never searches and asks anything a simple search would have answered. It’s about the connections, camaraderie and community service. Go ahead and ask what’s happening with your MES. Ask what’s better, a stick burner or a pellet grill. Ask what the difference is between cure #1 & #2. Newbies and oldbies are not asking to be irritating. They are seeking a connection with a tribe.

Go ahead and ask all you want and whatever you want. Just because your online anonymity protects you, don’t be an askhole in response to a sincere question.

The search function is not exact, but I do admit I have wasted countless hours using it. It was a primary source of entertainment this last winter.

I have to say, “Ask away, we love it”.
No one will ever give you a hard time for asking a question.
And no one on here will tell you to “Search first dummy”, or they won’t be on here long!!
We all came here to get better at our craft & we all were helped by the guys & gals on here. So we continue to pay it forward!
Al
100% why this is so much better than other forums and Facebook groups.

I voted for "ask away" which is generally acceptable on many online forums... both hobby and professional forums.

But sometimes I want to re-visit a particular conversation so I'll use the forum's search feature for that.

And the speed of Google can work in your favor if you know this trick: if you enter a subject followed by the "site identification" which includes the sub-domain 'www.' you see responses and images that appear on whatever site you choose. For example, copy and paste this entire command in Chrome or Google Search and check out the results. It gave me 2,800 responses in 0.48 seconds.

chicken breasts site:www.smokingmeatforums.com

Yep ask away! We all can always learn something new. Or maybe it's a question on enchiladas...remember about a year ago someone made enchiladas , then suddenly about 15 others made them, but it's all good! I like seeing all the threads and questions...maybe I can help a newbie out like so many helped me

Ryan

Good call, thirdeye. That's key. All on one line in the Google search box for those on a phone looks like this:

Chicken breasts site:www.abc.com

Also, for those who haven't used the advanced search on this site, push the Advanced Search button and then notice the brown bar up top and choose Search Threads.

Then, Search in Forums to narrow your search

Finally, just above the Search button, notice Display Results as Threads. It's at the bottom. Check that box so you see your results compressed into whole threads and not individual message hits. That check box will save your sanity!

Murph

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSmoke
... I decided to stop lurking and join (and contribute my failures, haha!).
I'm glad you stopped lurking and joined the fun, Sven! Thanks for the timely admonition against arrogance.

I don't mind someone posting a link as long as they are polite about it, and say something nice like, "Hey, Murph, there's a lot to be said about this topic. I had the same question and found a TON of info in this thread. You might like it, too. I dug it out of my bookmarks and here it is."

Sometimes it's nice to get a whole thread's worth of answers instead of just one.

Murph

Last edited:
Ok, the forum fool has voted :emoji_laughing:
TBH in this group of folks there always seems to be someone who is willing to help anyone with their inquiries. I've never failed to get a reply, help, or suggestions when ask.

Reactions: BXMurphy and TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky