Erred on the side of caution and ended up with another learning experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
Our local grocer had pork shoulders for .88/pound and I couldn't resist. With my first shoulder on New Years, it took me almost three-quarters of a day to smoke so I thought this time I would plan accordingly, giving myself extra time with the cold and wind factors.

I started the 8.5 pound shoulder a little after 5 pm Saturday with the idea that the pork would be ready mid-to-late-morning Sunday as my little WSM would have to fight against the low temperatures and wind and adjusting for Daylight Savings. (I've been caught having to rush before due to the winter conditions.). I've found that I do need to refuel for long smokes in the cold in a 14.5 WSM so I tried to be more proactive in keeping my smoke temps up. When I would notice the temps on the smoker starting to drop (I used the WSM and a surface grill thermometer), I would start up a new batch of charcoal in my Weber chimney starter. Once those briquettes were going, I would add them into the smoker, creating minimal white smoke. I did this twice through the night and was able to hold a nice steady 225+.

The only problem was this shoulder didn't seem to stall or anything...by 5 am (clocks adjusted) the shoulder was at 202 IT and I was shooting for 205. I pulled it out there and wrapped it to let it rest while I tried to get some sleep. Before I wrapped it, I checked the bone and it pulled right out. Later in the morning, I pulled it and the wife made some pulled pork omelletes with cheese. That was a first for me and it was great! The rest is keeping warm in a crock pot (sorry if that is wrong, but I was expecting such an early finish) for Sunday dinner.

Sorry, only finished pic this time. I wasn't in a photo mood at 5 am the Sunday of Daylight Savings weekend. The shoulder pulled great, and the pickings I had while pulling were delicious. The family has been drooling about the smell and how they look...I think some have walked off with "samples".

I thought I had everything accounted for, but the little or no stall caught me off guard. Oh well, I can live with that. I'm hoping there will be some left for the snow Tuesday. Stay safe everyone!

Cornman, I've had that happen once, too. It does catch you by surprise. 

Have you invested in a Maverick 733 thermometer or something similar, yet? You can set the alarm to go off if the smoker temp goes above or below a set temperature, and also when the meat hits the mark. It makes for better night's sleep if you're not constantly having to check.

Good job!

Thank you guys!

I have a basic digital probe thermometer...an upgrade is on my wish list. Also thinking about getting the "bear claws" to pull the meat.

I've had the "no stall" thing happen a couple of times, even with brisket. To me, it's a pleasant surprise!
The claws are great. No more burned fingers!

Same thing happened to me last night. Put it on at 6pm and my alarm set for 200 went off at 4:30. I pulled it out and wrapped it in full and a towel and put it in an ice chest. Pulled it around 9:00am and had sandwiches for lunch.

My wife is heating some up for dinner right now, smells good in here!

0c2c008fd95d474ac3fd77121b0c85ff.jpg

I was early into the smoke. Overnight I did not, nor when I took the shoulder off since it was 5 am. I've noticed in the past there is sometimes a discrepancy between the grate temp thermometer I have and actual smoker thermometer temp. For the times I checked in this smoke, the two thermometers were pretty consistent. It seems the WSM thermometer is especially off when I first am starting it up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky