Epic Fail!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnbphotos

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Lowell, MI
After three hours of smoking I noticed that something wasn't right.

Come to find out my "OEM" temp gage was not working properly. (I won't mention Kingsford's name).

One burnt Point, rush to the 24hr superstore and the purchase of two digital thermometers later, I hope to recover from this disaster.

The flat looks ok, but burnt on one side, the pork butt apparently had no idea what was going on, it looks fine.

I hate being a Rookie!!!

Ah, another smoke goes awry due to the stock thermo.

You're not alone...I think we've all done it, too. Even with calibrated add-on and/or factory therms, I still like to do comparison checks very month or so, and any time I think a thermo may have been subjected to a condition which may cause an inaccurate reading (dropped/bumped, exposed to high heat, etc).

Keep on smokin', 'cause any day I spend with a smoker is a better day than if it were spent doing most other things. Yea, I'm a die-hard for a good smoke.

Eric

Reactions: johnbphotos
Eric,

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone on this one lol

Other than the burnt side on the flat I think I'll be ok.

I'll feed the chard point to the neighbors dog LOL

(it's wrapped in foil now (did it @150) in hopes of even the slightest bit of recovery)

Can I cut off the char and throw a bit of rub on the exposed side or should I just chalk this up to experience?

Eric,

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone on this one lol

Other than the burnt side on the flat I think I'll be ok.

I'll feed the chard point to the neighbors dog LOL

(it's wrapped in foil now (did it @150) in hopes of even the slightest bit of recovery)

Can I cut off the char and throw a bit of rub on the exposed side or should I just chalk this up to experience?
Yea, I think I would cut it off ASAP, especially with foiling, or the charring will end up going into the foiled juices...that will make for some nasty flavor, and it also will carry carcinogens from the blackened meat.

If you already foiled it up, I'd go ahead and re-open it, toss it onto a board and carve off the charred sections...it will add some cooking time to get it to finished temps being you remove it from the heat for a few minutes longer, but that's better than the alternative, IMO.

Eric

Last edited:
The flat looks ok, but burnt on one side, the pork butt apparently had no idea what was going on, it looks fine.
LMAO....dang pig, they can take a beating and still not know what hit them.  hehehe

Sounds like you've made a good recovery.  As forluvofsmoke said, you'll want to calibrate your thermo's once in awhile to ensure accuracy.  

icon_cool.gif

Yes indeedie we have all been there done that got the shirt. Now thats how I learned to grill when I was growing up. The only wayI had to cook was a cheapO coleman grill and I ate allot of black food. Believe me if you had to eat it you tend to learn how not to burn things. We all here tell every newbie do not believe in those factory thermos for they are just for looks I think.  

LOL

You guys are great.

I think I was able to salvage the point.

Thanks again for all your input otherwise I would be eating, as Mballi states, more "black food".

"Crunchy" should be left to breakfast cereal and celery LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky