Ends with to much smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin pop-pop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Allentown Pa.
So I just finished slicing 13 lbs of belly bacon and fried up some for my wife. She said it was too smoky for her taste so I grab a couple pieces from the middle of the pile and cooked them up , she said they were perfect! My question is does anyone not use the very end of their bacon and if so how much do you cut off before slicing , 1 inch , 2 inch or whatever? I just picked up another 14 pound belly that I will begin curing tomorrow so I am trying to figure this out by the time it’s ready for slicing.Thanks for any info given.

How long after smoking did you slice it and try it?

I have no idea about the over done ends.
But if it were me... I cook up a nice pot of Navy Beans and those ends would be wonderful in there. ;)

At the most you get around a 1/2" of heavy penetration unless you cold smoke for several days. This first and last 1/2" usually make ragged uneven strips and not nice slices. Dice the ends and use in other recipes. Bean, Green, Soup, Pasta Sauces,Quiche, any place small pieces of Flavoring Bacon is used...JJ

The ends cut up in small chunks go real good in purple hull peas, butter beans, and just about any kind of green u can think of. Like turnip,mustar and kale.

I agree with the comments above, but I'll add that those end pieces are hard for me to find if my Son sees them.

Same thing with the outside trimmings from my Smoked Dried Beef---He says it's better than any Jerky he ever had, so I save them all for him.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky