End of Summer bash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmh313

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Portsmouth Rhode Island
In an effort to show appreciation for my guys, I opted to take Monday off and run the smoker. I know, it's a tough thing but someone has to do it!

IMG_4069.JPG

Ended up cooking: brisket, 2 bone in butts, turkey, 2 racks St. Louis ribs, 3 racks pastrami beef ribs, and some slaw. 2 marrow bones for the pups,homemade pickles and hot peppers.

I always forget how hungry these guys can be!
IMG_4075.JPG
IMG_4076.JPG
IMG_4077.JPG
IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4083.JPG
Didn't get many photos after pulling the bird, had to put my phone inside to charge and before I knew it the food vanished!

Looks amazing. How do you time putting the different foods on the smoker to finish around the same time?

Looks like a fantastic smoke.

Chris

Looks amazing. How do you time putting the different foods on the smoker to finish around the same time?

I started off with the brisket, then pulled pork, beef ribs, turkey, finally pork ribs adding each throughout the day with the HOPE they'll be done approximately all at the same time. As things were finishing off I put them in a cooler wrapped to keep temperature. Brisket was last off the smoker so that just sat on the cutting board for about an hour as I served everything else.

Anything to get a day off work. :rolleyes: Like that wasn't work. Great looking smoke looks like you had the timing down right to finish on time. This for sure came from the experience and use of your smoker. What's the paddle for the tides come in that high. :confused:

Warren

Reactions: phatbac
Making me hungry! Did you build your smoker yourself? And if so did you use a boat trailer cuase it looks similar to one

I built it myself last year, took about a total of 100 hours. Cooker itself weighs in at just over 2000#. That is a 20' boat trailer that I just slightly modified to make it flat. Over the winter i'm going to slide the smoker to the drivers side by a bout a foot and put a charcoal grill on the passenger side.

Reactions: smokinq13
I built it myself last year, took about a total of 100 hours. Cooker itself weighs in at just over 2000#. That is a 20' boat trailer that I just slightly modified to make it flat. Over the winter i'm going to slide the smoker to the drivers side by a bout a foot and put a charcoal grill on the passenger side.
Not bombarding you with questions but its a 500 gallon tank right? My dream is to build one but dont know if i would need a 250 or 500 gallon tank... 500 would be more room for cooking but a 250 would mean i can add alot more to the trailer like sink, grills, warmer box etc

I'll add my own question :-)

I saw you wrote "pastrami beef ribs"

Did you actually cure them the same as you would a brisket, or do you just season them with the peppercorns and coriander?

Not bombarding you with questions but its a 500 gallon tank right? My dream is to build one but dont know if i would need a 250 or 500 gallon tank... 500 would be more room for cooking but a 250 would mean i can add alot more to the trailer like sink, grills, warmer box etc

No worries! It's a 500 gallon tank. I actually got it for only $50, so it kind of kick started the design. To give you an idea, single rack inside, I am able to fit 8 full briskets, 8 picnic pork shoulders, and four racks of country pork ribs at once. I'm adding a second rack so i'll probably get another 40% surface area. Right now I have 17 square feet.

I'll add my own question :)

I saw you wrote "pastrami beef ribs"

Did you actually cure them the same as you would a brisket, or do you just season them with the peppercorns and coriander?

I did! week brine in salt cure, brown sugar, coriander, juniper, etc., just like corned beef. Then the rub was just equal parts ground pepper and ground coriander. If you don't rinse off the brine before rubbing the ribs will be sticky from the brown sugar. I had some who liked them sticky, others who don't.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky