Ember roasted New Mexican red chile sauce - from fresh chiles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
SmokinEdge's post resurfacing made me want to share my recipe for making New Mexican chile sauce using fresh chiles. And this is the right time of year for it.

I like to use the red (ripe) New Mexican chiles. But I sometimes do a similar (but different) sauce using the green chile. I grown my own chiles, and this year I had guajillo and NewMex Heritage varieties. Of course my climate is not optimum, but I make do.
This time I roasted the chiles (also tomatoes, onion, garlic) on wood embers. Sometimes I do over open flames, and other times I don't bother to roast at all. I also vary the consistency of the sauce by either blending or just chopping the ingredients. It's all good.

Last edited:
Oh man that looks good and thanks for the song. I so enjoy your music.

Looks good! Very nice video!!

Thanks. We used to live in New Mexico so I developed an appreciation for New Mexican chiles, both green and red. The ripe (red) ones often seem slightly sweeter and more complex; the green ones seem brighter with more punch.
Dried chile pods are good for soups and stews (birria, chili, etc) after toasting and rehydrating.

Thanks. We used to live in New Mexico so I developed an appreciation for New Mexican chiles, both green and red. The ripe (red) ones often seem slightly sweeter and more complex; the green ones seem brighter with more punch.
Dried chile pods are good for soups and stews (birria, chili, etc) after toasting and rehydrating.
I was getting ready to order some Chimayo ground pepper. They are so expensive and time you add high shipping charge almost to much. I still probably going to order just still trying to talk myself into it.

I went back and forth whether to post. Love the roasting in coals. Had never done it before, but tried it yesterday on some peppers from the neighbor for salsa. Great flavor.

But I can't condone calling this red chile sauce when you have tomatoes in it.... You can call it salsa, or chili, but sauce. Nope! 🤣

In NM, green chile sauce can have tomatoes but only a tiny amount and that's more Mexican in my book.
Red... Never.

I went back and forth whether to post. Love the roasting in coals. Had never done it before, but tried it yesterday on some peppers from the neighbor for salsa. Great flavor.

But I can't condone calling this red chile sauce when you have tomatoes in it.... You can call it salsa, or chili, but sauce. Nope! 🤣

In NM, green chile sauce can have tomatoes but only a tiny amount and that's more Mexican in my book.
Red... Never.

Beans or no beans ...

Yes, in New Mexico, red sauce usually does not have tomatoes, which in fact do not grow well in New Mexico.

I have several recipe variations that I use to make sauce, sometimes with tomatoes and sometimes without. This time I used tomatoes because (1) I had lots of fresh homegrown tomatoes, (2) I didn't have enough red chiles to make much sauce without, and (3) it tastes good. You can call it salsa. But to me, salsa is usually made with fresh raw ingredients. I also use different chile varieties in my salsa.

Beans or no beans ...

Yes, in New Mexico, red sauce usually does not have tomatoes, which in fact do not grow well in New Mexico.

I have several recipe variations that I use to make sauce, sometimes with tomatoes and sometimes without. This time I used tomatoes because (1) I had lots of fresh homegrown tomatoes, (2) I didn't have enough red chiles to make much sauce without, and (3) it tastes good. You can call it salsa. But to me, salsa is usually made with fresh raw ingredients. I also use different chile varieties in my salsa.
You don't have to tell me! I can't grow tomatoes for beans. Luckily we have neighbors that have the secret touch, they keep us in tomatoes for a few months each year.

Fresh salsa is good, but actually my favorites are cooked, at least a little bit. Helps reduce them especially if made with fresh slicing tomatoes that are juicy.

You seen pretty knowledgeable, I'll forgive your transgressions this time. 😁

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky