New Mexico Red Chile sauce From Powder.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
In another thread I was asked which I preferred, red Chile from reconstituted Chile pods, or from powder, by zwiller zwiller . To answer the question, I would have to say my preference is the reconstituted pods. Simply because I usually use 3-4 different varieties of Chile. This takes the Chile flavor up several notches, however there is certainly nothing wrong with red Chile sauce from powder, either from a rue or from a paste which is the recipe I will now post. It’s all good.

To start off, some time do yourself a favor and order some Chimayo Red Chile from New Mexico. This is a Chile variety, not a location like “Hatch Chile” The Chimayo Chile is the oldest variety in NM. Brought there by the Spaniards in the 1500’s. It is grown generally north of Santa Fe in and around the town of Chimayo. It is a higher elevation Chile that is possibly the best red I have ever tasted. I make sauce with it, but also sprinkle in on almost everything. It’s dynamite on eggs. The heat is a solid medium that does not build just is steady. The flavor is like the Chile you looked for your whole life. That said lets make some Chile.
B53E1BCB-D391-4F3D-AC32-36A6580C9CA9.jpeg

Any Chile powder will work just fine here.
Start by mixing up about 2 1/2 c. Chicken Broth from bouillon (1tsp per cup of water) I use Knorr brand.
2C96DBCB-64DA-4C78-8E6B-3A3EFA6F70C9.jpeg

Next measure out 1/2c. Red Chile powder. Place in a separate bowl.
C77B3EC1-986C-45E7-A71B-BD2E131B08BD.jpeg

To this add about 1c. Broth and mix into a thin paste with no lumps.
BC5705CC-0AB6-4FEF-A3AE-D92AEFFF88E3.jpeg

Next mince up 2-3 medium cloves of garlic and add to a 10” skillet with about 3-4 Tbs. lard (can use oil, I used a olive oil blend.
654B8D59-08B7-47EE-85F3-30E7C7D8A6D0.jpeg

Sauté the garlic 2-3 minutes then add 1tsp. ground cumin. Sauté another 1 minute. ( you can add Mexican oregano 1tsp. If you like, I don’t) Now this is very important, remove the pan from the heat. Then add the Chile paste and stir to incorporate the oil, garlic and spices.
620D9524-3AB4-4D7C-83FF-8709B918D7B5.jpeg

Return the pan to low/medium heat, add the remaining broth, stir and wait for the sauce to come to a light simmer. Never boil or expose the Chile to high heat, just be patient and wait for the simmer. Red Chile that is exposed to high heat such as a boiling temperature will become bitter, or even take on a burned taste, even boiling in water. Always be patient and low slow cook the Chile For that authentic pure Chile taste.
2B8FC78C-F6A0-41AF-B98D-22461A994A43.jpeg

As the Chile simmers, adjust the heat lower towards low little at a time keeping the simmer but with no more heat than necessary. Let this reduce for about 30 min. To get the consistency of a enchilada sauce, or longer for a thicker sauce, but this is where I usually stop. The sauce will thicken more after cooling.
FA7A710C-360E-4ED8-802E-5520D6F220CD.jpeg

There you have authentic NM Red Chile sauce. We can build this from a rue as well but to me it’s a bit more difficult managing the temperature with the rue/Chile and I often get that hint of burned or bitter flavor.
Now you are ready to make tamale meat, carne adovada, or countless other New Mexican dishes.
In the fall and winter or around the holidays, I sometimes will add just a pinch of cinnamon to this, just to make it special, but not always. Enjoy.

Awesome man, great post!!!
Now I have to figure out when I'm going to make this and do some coconut flour tortillas to make oven broil keto enchiladas with this sauce!!!

I'm thinking I'll start simple. Buy a good rotisserie chicken at the one grocery store that does them well. Shred and make chicken and cheese and onion enchiladas with this red sauce.
After I make 2 dozen coconut flour wraps!!! :)

Awesome man, great post!!!
Now I have to figure out when I'm going to make this and do some coconut flour tortillas to make oven broil keto enchiladas with this sauce!!!

I'm thinking I'll start simple. Buy a good rotisserie chicken at the one grocery store that does them well. Shred and make chicken and cheese and onion enchiladas with this red sauce.
After I make 2 dozen coconut flour wraps!!! :)
Id be interested in your coconut flour tortilla recipe. I’ve done a few and got decent results but the dough has been hard to work with. I do have a nice tortilla press.

Amazon has the powder 12 oz for $15. Is that a good price on the Chimayo powder? I’ll have to run downtown tomorrow and check out our little local groceria too. They carry and entire wall of dried peppers and spices.

Amazon has the powder 12 oz for $15. Is that a good price on the Chimayo powder? I’ll have to run downtown tomorrow and check out our little local groceria too. They carry and entire wall of dried peppers and spices.
Be careful on Amazon. I think the powder you saw is bueno brand, and the fine print says “Chimayo Chile inspired “. Chimayo Chile is a specific variety raised only in a specific area. It’s special and expensive. As apposed to the “Hatch Chile” brand which is a geographical location raising multiple varieties of chilies.

Chimayo is specific and as such, make sure you are buying the right stuff. Right now it is running just over $6.00 an oz. but will get a little cheaper this fall when harvest comes on. Stock up in a few months. Until then, here is where I bought my last shipment. These are authentic.

Chimayo Chile

Id be interested in your coconut flour tortilla recipe. I’ve done a few and got decent results but the dough has been hard to work with. I do have a nice tortilla press.

My friend I have you covered!!!
Yeah the dough is a little bit of a pain to work with but I have a system down now to where I can make like 2 dozen in like 35-45 minutes no problem. The key is using 2 silicon mats to roll the dough out between and a big skillet lid to cut the tortillas/wraps for me. Here's a detailed post I did on it :)

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good. Seems it loses the texture that the dried Chiles bring. If the flavor is there I'm game for a quicker version but when I make I'll probably use your original recipe.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
7B099AC3-3DB2-45BB-ACB0-00843F105E83.jpeg
Looks good. Seems it loses the texture that the dried Chiles bring. If the flavor is there I'm game for a quicker version but when I make I'll probably use your original recipe.
It actually holds up well and sets up a bit after resting.
For occasions, I always go with the original recipe. I have much more control over flavors and more versatile. Both are very good though.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I like where you're coming from. I used to live in New Mexico and developed an appreciation for chile peppers. I like to grow my own and usually use Joe Parker, NewMex 6/4, Hatch, or whatever I can manage (but not chimayo). I often dry some reds, but my favorite is to make sauce from fresh red chiles and freeze for later. I always include onion, and sometimes the chiles are so sweet that I can almost eat it like a soup.

I like where you're coming from. I used to live in New Mexico and developed an appreciation for chile peppers. I like to grow my own and usually use Joe Parker, NewMex 6/4, Hatch, or whatever I can manage (but not chimayo). I often dry some reds, but my favorite is to make sauce from fresh red chiles and freeze for later. I always include onion, and sometimes the chiles are so sweet that I can almost eat it like a soup.
Joe Parker are my favorite green chilies.

Be careful on Amazon. I think the powder you saw is bueno brand, and the fine print says “Chimayo Chile inspired “. Chimayo Chile is a specific variety raised only in a specific area. It’s special and expensive. As apposed to the “Hatch Chile” brand which is a geographical location raising multiple varieties of chilies.

Chimayo is specific and as such, make sure you are buying the right stuff. Right now it is running just over $6.00 an oz. but will get a little cheaper this fall when harvest comes on. Stock up in a few months. Until then, here is where I bought my last shipment. These are authentic.

Chimayo Chile
There is another one on amazon. Might give it a try. Bound to be good even if not the real thing.

1626179679097.png

There is another one on amazon. Might give it a try. Bound to be good even if not the real thing.

View attachment 503889

If you like that one and you want to buy a bunch you can order here. If you order a 5pound and 3-one pounders you will get free shipping and price comes to $9.90/lb lol

Chimayo Chile
I been wanting to try this but so dang expensive. I wonder if this the real deal

1633604108704.png

Figured this be the time to find Chimayo pepper. Man that stuff expensive but I guess need to try it anyway. Looks like 3 oz goes for $19. Not sure about shipping. Is there something else they have that should get?

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
The 8oz. Is plenty but just as well get 1 pound trust me you will use it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky