Embarrassing Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

undy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
New York
I just injected a 10 lb Boston Butt and threw on my Traeger. After cleaning up my kitchen I notice the expiration date on my apple juice is past expiration. Juice looked a little darker but did not notice a bad smell. Will the pork be safe to eat if the juice is bad? No juice left to taste. I am hoping with 10 hours of cooking I jucice will burn off anyway. Ugh

You may be a tad past the safe usage time period. After a google search it seems bottled apple juice that is unopened is good for 2 to 3 months past the use by date. If stored in a cool dark space. Canned is a few month longer, but hey it's a google search so read into it what you want. If it didn't smell bad your probably ok.

Chris

I usually buy those 6 pack of small bottles & routinely use them after the use by date. And your right they do get darker in color, but I never noticed any difference in the taste of the meat.
Al

Took it to 165 as suggested and came out great. Went to a local brewery , met a few friends and we all enjoyed. Thanks to all. I did pour the rest out. I think I caught a break by keeping the bottle in my fridge this whole time

Good job on the cook! I have noticed you usually only have to worry with the really fake apple juices because the can grow whats called botulism. Look it up but its basically what Botox is. If its not 100% I never worry with any issues of being somewhat past expiration dates

Reactions: jcam222
Good job on the cook! I have noticed you usually only have to worry with the really fake apple juices because the can grow whats called botulism. Look it up but its basically what Botox is. If its not 100% I never worry with any issues of being somewhat past expiration dates

Welcome to SMF...I have to ask, Where did you get this info from? I'm not sure what you mean by Fake Apple Juice, but all commercially packaged juices in the US are Pasteurized to kill Bacteria. Apple Juice has a pH similar to Orange Juice, a pH of 3.3 to 4, which is plenty of Acidity to inhibit the reactivation of Clostridium Botulinum Spores. Companies like Minute Maid and Motts add Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C, which further lowers the pH. There is just no way you can get Botulism from Apple Juice.

On the Safety of Apple Juice, because of the Acidity and high Sugar content, Pathogen don't do well if they grow at all. Spoilage Bacteria are a bigger problem but then they just Sour the juice but represent no safety issue...JJ

Thanks for the welcome! I got this info from an article a few years back that once shelf stable or even refrigerated items go out of date for a bit of time anything that would preserve the item would weaken to the point of being broken down. The item would then start to breakdown due to vitamins/preservatives/chemicals becoming less effective.

Thanks for the welcome! I got this info from an article a few years back that once shelf stable or even refrigerated items go out of date for a bit of time anything that would preserve the item would weaken to the point of being broken down. The item would then start to breakdown due to vitamins/preservatives/chemicals becoming less effective.

There are shelf stable items that can suffer a loss or change in flavor. I've had old Canned Coconut Milk go bad, as in the flavor was horrible, but Flavor loss or turning Rancid is usually a Chemical Reaction, a decomposition of one or more flavor components in the product. While the stuff ends up tasting bad it is usually completely harmless if ingested. Unopened Sour Milk, Corked Oxidized old Wine and Rancid Fats like in out of code Nuts and Butter sitting on the counter all week.
Clostridium Botulinum, needs a pH above 4 to grow. Acidity is not a component of food that breaksdown. A bottle of Lemon Juice does not get sweeter over time...JJ

That makes no sense. What's to weaken? Pasteurized products have no preservatives, the pasteurization process killed organisms and spores. Thats what preserves them.

Also botulism toxin, if it were present (is not) is inactivated at the temps OP is cooking.

Botulism is the scare everyone mentions when food poisoning comes up. Yet, few know how the toxin appears. It is a very toxic substance (more than VX agent). Fortunately for us it needs very specific conditions to develop.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky