Elotes (Grilled Mexican street corn)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Oh hell yeah!
569748CE-90EF-487A-A204-8CA41BA65377.jpeg

So I finally got to make this and I’m glad I did. My wife even said that I need to make this a lot more during the summer. We ate the corn as the main dish and served it with a cucumber tomato salad on the side.

In a large bowl combine:

1/4c Sour Cream
1/4c Mayo
1/2c crumbled cheese (Cotija or Feta cheese)
1 handful of chopped cilantro
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 tsp Ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp Chipotle chili powder (or smoked paprika)
Juice of one lime wedge

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

Lightly spray corn with olive oil and place on the grill, turning often until corn is cooked and charred. This took me about 15 minutes.

Hold an ear of corn in the bowl with the mixture. Brush mixture on hot corn on all sides and place on a serving dish, repeat with remaining corn. After corn is plated sprinkle with extra cheese, cilantro and more squeezed lime juice.

I used feta cheese since my local Weis didn’t have Cotija but I will use it next time, I could get it pretty easily at Wally world.

Sorry about my hack job on the cilantro garnish, I was hungry and I tried cutting it on a paper plate...so finesse goes out the window there lol!

If you get a chance, make this. I really enjoyed it. It’s quick. I made the mixture while the grill preheated.

Thanks for looking. Xray

Last edited:
I'm not normally a fan of grilled corn on the cob, but I must say that looks wonderful.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good . Tried that last week . I think I was to heavy on my toppings .
You're right , great flavor . I like the Cotija cheese .

Reactions: xray
I'm not normally a fan of grilled corn on the cob, but I must say that looks wonderful.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the point. It would be just as good shaved off the cob and into a bowl. My mom wants me to make this for her but she doesn’t eat corn on the cob.

If you wanted to take it a step further, you could shave it off the cob over some tortilla chips and top that with some queso for street corn nachos. Yum!

Looks good . Tried that last week . I think I was to heavy on my toppings .
You're right , great flavor . I like the Cotija cheese .

Thanks Chop! Yeah I think what you see in the pic is as heavy as I’ll go with the topping. I’ll admit it doesn’t taste good eating it with a spoon, but slathered on some grilled corn it really does come together.

Looks amazing!

I've always soaked the corn in the husks and left a few over it before grilling. Didn't really know it would be safe when dehusked entirely!

Gonna have to try this!

Oh Hell Yeah!
Looking right tasty, damned good stuff.

Brings back memories of growing up back in SoCal, street corn was found not only in TJ, or the barrio, but anywhere a vendor could find a crowd. There was one roach coach that'd have a line a block long at lunch, best thing on the menu... Street Corn.

Reactions: forktender
Looks amazing!

I've always soaked the corn in the husks and left a few over it before grilling. Didn't really know it would be safe when dehusked entirely!

Gonna have to try this!

Thanks Tom, you most definitely can peel the corn and grill. I’ve been doing this for awhile since it’s only the wife and I. It sure beats heating up a kitchen in the summer time boiling water for a few ears of corn.

Corn on the grill has a more roasted and nuttier flavor but also a tad bit chewier. What I like to do is baste with butter while grilling and then sprinkle with salt right before pulling off.

Oh Hell Yeah!
Looking right tasty, damned good stuff.

Brings back memories of growing up back in SoCal, street corn was found not only in TJ, or the barrio, but anywhere a vendor could find a crowd. There was one roach coach that'd have a line a block long at lunch, best thing on the menu... Street Corn.

Thanks Chile, it was good stuff especially for my first time making it. It sounds like you had a pretty tasty childhood!

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
Damn man that looks awesome! I just happen to have 5 ears at home and was going to do some chicken tonight on the grill...looks like I found my side to go with it. I actually saved your chimchurri recipe and plan to put that on the chicken. Cold beer to wash it down.

I have never had elotes, but have always wanted to try it. My current diet doesn't support me having it so it so that's currently a no go. I kind of want to find a recipe for this as like an off the cob recipe for catering gigs, just the thought of the flavors makes me think even here in the heart of Noethnicflavorsville it would be well received.

I have never had elotes, but have always wanted to try it. My current diet doesn't support me having it so it so that's currently a no go. I kind of want to find a recipe for this as like an off the cob recipe for catering gigs, just the thought of the flavors makes me think even here in the heart of Noethnicflavorsville it would be well received.
It is as easy as preparing as shown and then cutting it off the cob into a bowl.

Or you can pan fry fresh or canned whole corn and then garnish.

Got dentures? This is for you!
:emoji_sunglasses:

Damn man that looks awesome! I just happen to have 5 ears at home and was going to do some chicken tonight on the grill...looks like I found my side to go with it. I actually saved your chimchurri recipe and plan to put that on the chicken. Cold beer to wash it down.

That sounds like you’re in for a good meal! Let me know if you like it. Tonight I’m grilling marinated pork tenderloin and serving it over couscous or quinoa and topped with homemade pesto...my basil plant is growing like crazy!

If you’re using the cilantro for the corn, you could add the rest of the cilantro to the chimichurri recipe if you want. Some recipes use 1/2 parsley 1/2 cilantro.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan

Are you on the keto diet so you can’t have the corn?

Yeah like Chile said, you could shave it off into a bowl...It all goes in the same place and comes out the same anyways right!? Lol

It is as easy as preparing as shown and then cutting it off the cob into a bowl.

Or you can pan fry fresh or canned whole corn and then garnish.

Got dentures? This is for you!
:emoji_sunglasses:

Thanks for the pan fry idea. I do this with frozen corn to throw into salads but didn’t think about using for the elote recipe...I’m thinking street corn nachos. Throw this on some tortilla chips and top with white queso and jalapeño!

Looks and sounds great!!! Point for sure. Definitely want to try that. Have to be feta, don't think I will find cojita up here. Will have to try the mexican store if I ever get some days off here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky