Elk smoked meat loaf questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nate85

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 19, 2010
I had a elk meatloaf from Jackson Lake Lodge a number of years ago that was a little different then the usual meat loaf and I really liked it. There was a light glaze on it (not ketchup based) It was smoked and wrapped with bacon but it seam to be seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion and other stuff I’m sure. I’m going to try to make something similar. Would you throw any other spices in there? Going with butter milk and ritz crackers for a binder.

I’ve never used chipotle powder, how much for 2 lbs meat? Thinking of throwing some sage in maybe too

I’m not a huge fan of sage with beef. For savory I’d consider rosemary and thyme maybe. Chipotle can bring a little heat like Jake said.

Reactions: nate85
Did you cut your elk with pork? If not I would recommend about 30% to 40%. Do you recall anything else about the glaze? In Jackson all the trendy restaurants have a little different profile, but many serve a meatloaf of sorts. Bison is more popular than elk. I would bet the glaze was a Sauce au Poivre or had a splash of cognac or bourbon. Give panko a try instead of Ritz. This came by way of a Jackson chef I met many years ago, and is quite good, I make it with bison, or bison and wagyu blend.

Game Meatloaf, Bison - Elk - Venison
2 1/2 pounds ground meat
1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped garlic
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons dried thyme
3 tablespoons dried oregano
3 tablespoons dried parsley
1 large egg
3/4 cup panko crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
Ice cold water or beer – enough to make the mixture a little sticky
4 strips of bacon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Form into four small loaves, about 10 ounces each. Arrange on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Top each loaf with a strip of bacon and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 154° degrees with an instant-read thermometer.

Reactions: TNJAKE and jcam222
Did you cut your elk with pork? If not I would recommend about 30% to 40%. Do you recall anything else about the glaze? In Jackson all the trendy restaurants have a little different profile, but many serve a meatloaf of sorts. Bison is more popular than elk. I would bet the glaze was a Sauce au Poivre or had a splash of cognac or bourbon. Give panko a try instead of Ritz. This came by way of a Jackson chef I met many years ago, and is quite good, I make it with bison, or bison and wagyu blend.

Game Meatloaf, Bison - Elk - Venison
2 1/2 pounds ground meat
1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped garlic
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons dried thyme
3 tablespoons dried oregano
3 tablespoons dried parsley
1 large egg
3/4 cup panko crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
Ice cold water or beer – enough to make the mixture a little sticky
4 strips of bacon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Form into four small loaves, about 10 ounces each. Arrange on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Top each loaf with a strip of bacon and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 154° degrees with an instant-read thermometer.

I haven’t added pork yet but I was going too. I don’t remember much about the glaze it’s been almost 8 years now. I’ll skip the sage as I’ve never had it with beef, I’ll have to leave the rosemary out too not a big fan of it. I appreciate the recipe, I think I’m going to go with it as a base this time and see how I like it! Thank you

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks guys I’ll drop the sage and try the chipotle to the above recipe

I haven’t added pork yet but I was going too. I don’t remember much about the glaze it’s been almost 8 years now. I’ll skip the sage as I’ve never had it with beef, I’ll have to leave the rosemary out too not a big fan of it. I appreciate the recipe, I think I’m going to go with it as a base this time and see how I like it! Thank you
If you make the four-loaf version, you could change up the seasonings on one or two and do a side-by-side taste test.

Reactions: nate85
Never seen an elk in Florida, so I wouldn’t even have a clue on how to answer this question. But what from what I’ve seen on TV Elk is an awesome meat to eat. Hopefully one day I’ll get a chance to try it!
Al

Never seen an elk in Florida, so I wouldn’t even have a clue on how to answer this question. But what from what I’ve seen on TV Elk is an awesome meat to eat. Hopefully one day I’ll get a chance to try it!
Al
That’s be pretty cool if Florida did! Elk meat is fantastic, although I’ll admit I don’t have elk meat this year to make my meat loafs with. Gonna have to go with deer meat this year.

Although I didn’t get pictures I did make this it and turned out really good. Thanks again for the suggestions and recipes. Brushed apple cider for the glaze and will definitely do that again. Thanks again guys

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky