Elk Pemmican

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Making some elk pemmican with chunky peanut butter.

Getting the elk jerky ready to chop.

Chopped elk jerky and the rest of the ingredients.

All mixed, pressed into the pan. Cool this in the fridge for an hour or so then slice into bars.

I decided to use chunky peanut butter instead of the rendered tallo or lard. This will keep wrapped for several months.

Recipe i use.

1/2 pound of jerky, pulverized to a powder, or nearly to a powder

1/2 pound of raisins. I used chopped apricots.

1/2 pound of nuts (peanuts, pecans. etc) skip if using chunky peanut butter

2 tablespoons honey. I used 4 T

4 tablespoons peanut butter

Warm the honey and mix with the peanut butter together until well blended.
Add all ingredients together. Store in a plastic bag in a cool, dry place.

Interesting recipe. That would fly a lot further with the family than if made with suet....JJ

Looks tasty! I just had a friend inquiring about making pemmican. We made some a long time ago in Boy scouts to take on our 50, and 100 mile Pacific Crest trail hikes. We used peanut butter also.

Every time I see shredded jerky it reminds me of this stuff we'd get as kids...

Looks tasty! I just had a friend inquiring about making pemmican. We made some a long time ago in Boy scouts to take on our 50, and 100 mile Pacific Crest trail hikes. We used peanut butter also.

Yup i remember that jerky in the can. Did lots of hiking on that trail myself when i was a boy scout in S,Calif desert. Damn seems long ago. We made hard tack also for our hikes. Nasty

That stuff convinced the lady who is now my wife to go out with me for the first time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky