Electric smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zhaley7777

Original poster
Dec 13, 2023
Instead of using concrete backer board inside my electric smoker build. Could I use plywood covered in aluminum valley roll for roofing?

Reactions: JLeonard
Plywood has too many chemicals/ glue for me. Even if it was on the outside I'd be hesitant.

Hight temp or cold smoke?
I kinda thought that too. But before that I was gonna use cement backer board and was worried about that also I also don’t think I should just use aluminum by itself on the studs even though there will be rock wool insulation behind it. High temp is what it will be used for but no higher than 265 degrees

Rock wool is the bomb.

My smoker has 7800W and I routinely run it up to 450F without issues for stuff like chicken. And prime rib.

Walls are made out of 3/32 stainless with 1.25” rock wool in between. It doesn’t offgass, and holds heat phenomenally. I would imagine that with slightly lower heat requirements, you could make the whole thing out of aluminum with a lot less effort.

Smokehouse= Cold smoke temps under 100*
Sausage smoker=temps not exceeding 170*
I used plywood with 0 issues and no toxic fumes or taste.

Smokehouse=Not a BBQ.

The main reason to use hardi backer board in a wood smokehouse is fire and heat containment. If you plan to heat the smokehouse to 250-275*F for smoking briskets, pork butts, chickens and Turkeys, then it is necessary IMO. If it will be a dedicated sausage smoker then not necessary, but I would still use some sort of containment around bottom near the heat source.

Also, concrete board has a heat index near steel...meaning once it heats up, you will have stable heat top to bottom. I like this aspect when smoking sausages.

My smokehouse is lined with 1/4" hardi board and aluminum flashing.....

How is everyone connecting the element through the sidewall. Will I have to run the connections through conduit because it doesn’t look like the prongs are long enough to stick through the 2x4 wall. I would hate to catch the insulation on fire

How is everyone connecting the element through the sidewall. Will I have to run the connections through conduit because it doesn’t look like the prongs are long enough to stick through the 2x4 wall. I would hate to catch the insulation on fire
Get us a picture or a link to the element. If it hasn't already been done on here, there is more than enough knowledge to help you get it done safely.

Get us a picture or a link to the element. If it hasn't already been done on here, there is more than enough knowledge to help you get it done safely.
Kitchen Basics 101 316203200 Range Oven Broil Upper Heating Element Replacement for Kenmore Frigidaire 316199900, 832973 CH3200, AP2126395, AH439671, EA439671, PS439671 https://a.co/d/2R7zix0

And also I’m trying to find an oven element to match at the moment. Any suggestions where to find oven and broiler element combos for sale together?

Not questioning you, just making sure that you are aware that this calls for 240VAC. If so, no issues.

Since this element will not be at 100% duty cycle for very long, air can be your friend. With the attachment tabs you could run the connections through a larger hole and attach. For me, I'd get some ceramic tubes off amazon and slip them over the element prior to to running through the mount plate. Keep in mind, this element is only 2 conductors, you WILL need to have a ground system on the unit to make sure no one is injured or killed WHEN a short circuit happens.

Why the need for the top and bottom elements?

Not questioning you, just making sure that you are aware that this calls for 240VAC. If so, no issues.

Since this element will not be at 100% duty cycle for very long, air can be your friend. With the attachment tabs you could run the connections through a larger hole and attach. For me, I'd get some ceramic tubes off amazon and slip them over the element prior to to running through the mount plate. Keep in mind, this element is only 2 conductors, you WILL need to have a ground system on the unit to make sure no one is injured or killed WHEN a short circuit happens.

Why the need for the top and bottom elements?
I just figured with the smoker being 6’ tall 3’ deep and 3’ wide the broiler element would help to bring back to temp after opening the door

I just figured with the smoker being 6’ tall 3’ deep and 3’ wide the broiler element would help to bring back to temp after opening the door
I should have added I would like to use a Auberins PID to control everything and also it will be 240volts

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky