Eggplant Parm Best thing We Make w/Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
Good day all. This is my Italian MIL's recipe, and literally the tastiest thing she makes. It took me 2 years and many attempts until I got the complete recipe and procedure from her.
She makes a lot of great tasting food, but this is by far the best.
Sliced 2 big Eggplants and each slice into flour, then egg wash, (egg wash has black pepper and Peccorino Romano cheese crumbled in it) Used 10 eggs.
IMG_2343.jpg
First batch into frying pan, to get nice and crispy. Mix half EVOO and Veg Oil.
IMG_2344.jpg
First batch out of frying pan.
IMG_2345.jpg
A little while later all done frying, awaiting to be assembled with goodies. My part is done, the Mrs. does the rest.
IMG_2346.jpg
Finished and out of the oven to rest. This is 3 layers of tomato sauce, shredded Mozz, fried eggplant, sprinkled Peccorino Romano in each layer.
IMG_2348.jpg
My main sandwich before closing and devouring, on French Baguette from Publix. I ate 1.5 of these.
IMG_2349.jpg
This was all we were able to eat, it's so filling. We love this flavor so much, that we often force more in, and suffer the consequences later.
IMG_2350.jpg
Now we have leftovers for a few Family members we will run some out to, especially MIL, she always gets a plate from us, and well deserved. Plus we'll have 1-2 more meals ourselves. Before the Covid hit, my Wife would bring some into her office, her coworkers love it.
Thanks for looking in. I'm most proud of how consistently well this turns out every time. A lot of practice though.

Nice piece of work Mike, Like! I make eggplant parm pretty much the same way, learned it from my mama. Sometimes I like to fry up some eggplant until it starts to blacken and have it over pasta, a old family favorite. RAY

Reactions: MJB05615
Great tutorial.

Sometimes I bake it on my Big Green Egg, no smoke just charcoal. The cheese and sauce pick-up the brick oven pizza flavor. I call it Big Green EggPlant Parmesan. :emoji_laughing: Lasagna and enchiladas are also really good cooked over live fire.

I love eggplant parmesan and always order it if it's on the menu. Don't ever make it because the admiral doesn't like eggplant...
Thanks. We never order it in a restaurant, mainly because they use breadcrumbs instead of flour. That is a sacrillege in my Wife's family, lol. Thanks for the like.

Nice piece of work Mike, Like! I make eggplant parm pretty much the same way, learned it from my mama. Sometimes I like to fry up some eggplant until it starts to blacken and have it over pasta, a old family favorite. RAY
Thanks Ray. I've never tried it that way, but the Mrs. eats the extra non Parm eggplant just fried, and that's pretty good on it's own. It took so many years and trials to get the exact method and recipe from my MIL, I don't dare deviate from her original, lest I be punished, and that would mean no more recipes from her, lol.
Thanks for the like my friend.

Mike Eggplant is a regular in my house. Only thing different is I peel mine makes it sweeter.
Richie
We've not tried it peeled Richie, sounds like a plan in the future. Would have to do it in secret, cause if MIL found out, I'd be cut off from additional recipes, lol. Thanks for the like.

Wow Mike, that's some good looking stuff right there. I'd probably put some Italian sausage into the sauce though. It's gotta have meat to constitute a meal for me :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: MJB05615
Great tutorial.

Sometimes I bake it on my Big Green Egg, no smoke just charcoal. The cheese and sauce pick-up the brick oven pizza flavor. I call it Big Green EggPlant Parmesan. :emoji_laughing: Lasagna and enchiladas are also really good cooked over live fire.
Thanks thirdeye thirdeye . That sounds like it would taste great.

Looks great and for sure seems to be a lot of work. But can you believe I have never eaten eggplant.

Warren
Thanks Warren. It's a good amount of work for sure, but since we split up the duties, not too bad. When we had more people to cook for, and made a larger portion, it was much more labor intensive. Now just the 2 of us, not too bad. I can believe you've never had eggplant.
For years I refused to try this dish, then 1 time we were flying to Fla, MIL made us some sandwiches for the trip. I didn't want to eat them, and the Mrs. was fine with that as there'd be more for her. The flight was delayed several hours. When we finally got on the plane, I was starving, and had to eat one out of hunger. From that moment on I was hooked.
Thanks for the like too. Very appreciated.

Wow Mike, that's some good looking stuff right there. I'd probably put some Italian sausage into the sauce though. It's gotta have meat to constitute a meal for me :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert. I'd also like some meat in there, but 2 things prohibit it. The Mrs. doesn't like it, and MIL has stated on more than 1 occasion, "Do not change the recipe or else." In my 35 + years of marriage I can tell you I do not want to find out what "or else" would mean, lol. Thanks for the like my friend.

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky