Eggplant Napoleon with sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
I have been craving Italian for a while, so I picked up some Sicilian eggplants from the local market. These are same ones I used to make MJB05615 MJB05615 stuffed eggplant cook a few weeks ago and that turned out great. So I bought three eggplants, they are round and about 5 inches across
1.jpg

I peeled them, then they got an egg wash bath and into almond flour (less carbs) with parmesan, salt and pepper. Then fried in avocado oil.
3.jpg

4.jpg

Sautéed some pork sausage crumbles
2.jpg

Mixed the sausage with Ricotta cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, oregano, basil and some garlic.
5.jpg

Time to assemble, shot of sauce in the dish, then layer the eggplant, ricotta mixture and sauce, in layers. Top with more sauce and mozzarella.

We did not want pasta (again to lessen the carbs) and it would probably be too heavy of a meal. So the wife made a modified Caprese salad. Fresh mozzarella with cherry tomatoes, added some cucumber chunks, red onion, balsamic, avocado oil, fresh basil, garlic oregano and pepper.
6.jpg

Out of the oven and smelling great.
7.jpg

Plated shot, this is a real keeper in my book. I think we will get three meals out of the three eggplants used, I love the addition of the sausage and especially the ricotta in this dish.

Lastly topped off with some fresh grated Pecorino Reggiano cheese
8.jpg

Wow! That looks incredible! I’m not handy frying, you crushed it! You’ve really been killing it!
I set off at least 2 smoke alarms frying them and had to open both the front and back doors even though it was in the 30's...lol. when the weather gets nicer I will do this on the griddle.

I set off at least 2 smoke alarms frying them and had to open both the front and back doors even though it was in the 30's...lol. when the weather gets nicer I will do this on the griddle.
How would that work on the griddle? Does it have same crust? Smoke alarms go crazy when I try frying!

Thanks for the mention Cliff. That looks excellent! Similar to our Eggplant Parm, but we've never thought to add Sausage or any meat. Of course we can use the full sized Eggplants readily available here year round. That salad is nice and colorful. Great job. I do all of the frying on the side burner of my gas grill.
I've never thought of it on the Blackstone.

Reactions: bauchjw and clifish
Thanks for the mention Cliff. That looks excellent! Similar to our Eggplant Parm, but we've never thought to add Sausage or any meat. Of course we can use the full sized Eggplants readily available here year round. That salad is nice and colorful. Great job. I do all of the frying on the side burner of my gas grill.
I've never thought of it on the Blackstone.
Thanks Mike, too cold to do outside now. Never thought about the side burner, might need to bring out the CI for that

I really like these eggplants better than the "regular" ones. I do not need to salt them and they seem less bitter. Not sure if these are the same ones you have trouble finding down by you?

Not sure if these are the same ones you have trouble finding down by you?
When you mentioned they are "Sicilian" eggplants, I showed the picture to the Mrs. Italian both PArents' Families from Newark NJ, etc. And the originators of that Stuffed EP recipe, she immediately said, "That's the ones!" Now gotta find, lol. Side burner if it gets warmer there, I can usually fry outside year round. Gets a little cold but nothing like up there, I remember. I'll trade you some warm temps for some EP's, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
When you mentioned they are "Sicilian" eggplants, I showed the picture to the Mrs. Italian both PArents' Families from Newark NJ, etc. And the originators of that Stuffed EP recipe, she immediately said, "That's the ones!" Now gotta find, lol. Side burner if it gets warmer there, I can usually fry outside year round. Gets a little cold but nothing like up there, I remember. I'll trade you some warm temps for some EP's, lol.
If you have issues getting them, I seem to find them at "meat farms" I could UPS some to you if wanted. Least I could do for the inspiration.

Reactions: MJB05615
If you have issues getting them, I seem to find them at "meat farms" I could UPS some to you if wanted. Least I could do for the inspiration.
That's a very generous offer. Let me ask the Mrs. first. I never thought of meat farms. Don't know if any around here. My work load will be a little lighter next week, and I'll look that up see if anything is close enough. I'd drive 2 hours or a little more to get these. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for the offer, I may take you up on it.

That's a very generous offer. Let me ask the Mrs. first. I never thought of meat farms. Don't know if any around here. My work load will be a little lighter next week, and I'll look that up see if anything is close enough. I'd drive 2 hours or a little more to get these. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for the offer, I may take you up on it.
As far as I know they are only on Long Island, If I they have them sending to you is easy, I have a UPS business account so no issues

Reactions: MJB05615
That really looks good! Haven't had eggplant for years and didn't really care for it but alot of water under the bridge since then! Will definitely have to try sometime.
But at least now I know the answer to the age old question...neither the chicken or the egg came first...it was the eggplant ! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Your rocking it lately clifish. That meal looks delicious. I really like eggplant parm, but this brings it to a whole nother level.

Point for sure
Chris

Man that is gorgeous. I'd like to try that. But, alas, no one in house eats eggplant but me. I'll just bring the wine and come to your house!
Jim

Looks Great Clifish!!!
I've had eggplant with Mozzarella & Sausage, but not for a long time----Too Long!!!
Yours looks Mighty Tasty!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky