Eggplant and pimento pepper spread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
With the fall bounty there isn't enough time in a day to process all the awesome vegs (and fruits) that taste best around this time.

This is a vegetable spread popular in Eastern Europe. It's called ajvar, zakuska, depends which country you end up in. The one i will make uses eggplant and pimento pepper. If i have time in the weekend i will do a batch with eggplant and red shepperd pepper.

In the old days, when folks were observing the Nativity fast (6 weeks) this spread was a welcome break from potatoes, bread, oil and cabbage.
There are other variations: with wild mushrooms, fish, beans. But this is the one we love.

20180925_205341-1.jpg
20180925_205221-1.jpg

Eggplants are roasted (on the grill in my case) and peeled.

Here they are after drained overnight, with the cored/cutup pimentos ane onion.
20180925_185044-1.jpg

Pimentos and onion went thru the meat grinder then cooked (separately).
20180925_191328-1.jpg
20180925_191331-1.jpg

Pimentos reduced to about half
20180925_210350.jpg

I pulverized the eggplants in the food processor then everything goes into a big pot. Here is when i do it differently. The final cook is a messy process (splashing) so i will do it in the slow cooker....tomorrow.

Reactions: DanMcG and gmc2003
That is a dish I would love. I'm a big fan of eggplant...JJ

That is a dish I would love. I'm a big fan of eggplant...JJ
Then you will probably like another spread we eat often: eggplants roasted same as above then mixed with homemade mayo and little minced onion.
We freeze at least two bushels of roasted eggplants each fall, just for this.

Then you will probably like another spread we eat often: eggplants roasted same as above then mixed with homemade mayo and little minced onion.
We freeze at least two bushels of roasted eggplants each fall, just for this.

Absolutely! I make Babaganoush a couple times a year...JJ

I'm digging a hole under your fence.

In my Lithuanian family, "zakuska" is a general term for an appetizer. In our case that usually referred to stacked slices of tomato and onion, splashed in vinegar and maybe fresh dill and maybe a bit of black pepper, topped with salty herring.

Then the vodka would come out of the freezer.

Edited to add, rye bread.

That looks great atomic, I'll take that baby jar that looks out of place if you want everything uniform in size on your shelves.

Point for sure.
Chris

That looks great atomic, I'll take that baby jar that looks out of place if you want everything uniform in size on your shelves.

Point for sure.
Chris
Thank you gmc. You can have the small jar but you have to wait at least a week before enjoying it - so flavours blend.

Another sunday of smokes and cooks...
Eggplant and roasted peppers blitzed

; onion cooking

Attachments

• 20180930_140323.jpg
    20180930_140323.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180930_143432.jpg
    20180930_143432.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky