Effects of fruit juice on Cure #1?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Also keep in mind that the amount of cure #1 used is based on nitrite content (6.25%) where as NaE is all soidium of ascorbic acid. That’s why the difference

Reactions: Stalin's Dentist
I ran the long math on there ratios and yes they come up to 550 ppm on NaE and 200ppm nitrite.

NaE should be applied at .5-.7 g/Kg or .05-.07% by meat weight.
Thank you! I guess I was confused by this guy on U-Tube ( ). Looks like he has a decent sized shop so assumed he knew what he was doing, and this was the only place I saw a DIY recipe for dry rub bacon with NaE. BUT, he calls for 3.5g/Kg of NaE, which is a hair over 5X the amount you recommended above. However, I also remember somewhere over the last couple of days of searching, someone talking about using NaE that came in a 20% powder application. He doesn't specifically mention which he's using, but if that is what he's using, that would put it right in the ballpark with your numbers. He's from Canada and the Nitrite cure he's using is 5% instead of the typical 6.25%. But, it seems like a possible dangerous mixup for someone. Most of the NaE I've seen for sale is 96% pure. Is anyone aware of this 20% product? Not sure what they might use for a filler, but if the product exists, it could help with the measuring / mixing tiny amounts problem. (Or is this guy just off his nut?)

Thank you! I guess I was confused by this guy on U-Tube ( ). Looks like he has a decent sized shop so assumed he knew what he was doing, and this was the only place I saw a DIY recipe for dry rub bacon with NaE. BUT, he calls for 3.5g/Kg of NaE, which is a hair over 5X the amount you recommended above. However, I also remember somewhere over the last couple of days of searching, someone talking about using NaE that came in a 20% powder application. He doesn't specifically mention which he's using, but if that is what he's using, that would put it right in the ballpark with your numbers. He's from Canada and the Nitrite cure he's using is 5% instead of the typical 6.25%. But, it seems like a possible dangerous mixup for someone. Most of the NaE I've seen for sale is 96% pure. Is anyone aware of this 20% product? Not sure what they might use for a filler, but if the product exists, it could help with the measuring / mixing tiny amounts problem. (Or is this guy just off his nut?)

I didn’t watch the whole video, just up to the NaE content. Everything sounded fine up to that point. Im not sure about different products made in other countries, but we do have a bunch of Canadian members here and I know they have to sort through some cure ingredients according to what’s available to them there and that can get confusing here on the Forums. That said,

My bottle of Sodium Erythorbate from TSM shows on the label to use .1 Oz. Per 10# meat. That works out roughly to 2.8g per 4.5 Kg meat or right there in the range of .5-.7g per Kg.

I apply it at .05% which when calculated looks like this for 1 Kg meat:

1000 x .0005= .5g/Kg

I didn’t watch the whole video, just up to the NaE content. Everything sounded fine up to that point. Im not sure about different products made in other countries, but we do have a bunch of Canadian members here and I know they have to sort through some cure ingredients according to what’s available to them there and that can get confusing here on the Forums. That said,

My bottle of Sodium Erythorbate from TSM shows on the label to use .1 Oz. Per 10# meat. That works out roughly to 2.8g per 4.5 Kg meat or right there in the range of .5-.7g per Kg.

I apply it at .05% which when calculated looks like this for 1 Kg meat:

1000 x .0005= .5g/Kg
Makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to sort through all this. I just want to make sure I get it right and don't hurt anybody.

I just wonder how many people have made that bacon using 5X too much NaE (3.5 g/Kg) using the pure stuff we have here? I would guess that using 5X too much Nitrite would probably be really bad. But, does anyone know how dangerous NaE is?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to sort through all this. I just want to make sure I get it right and don't hurt anybody.

I just wonder how many people have made that bacon using 5X too much NaE (3.5 g/Kg) using the pure stuff we have here? I would guess that using 5X too much Nitrite would probably be really bad. But, does anyone know how dangerous NaE is?
Generally NaE is safe, it’s sodium of vitamin C. However I have used to much before and it created some nitrite burn, which turns the meat a greenish color in those areas.

So my experiment is bagged and in the fridge. I used 3# of CSR. These were 2”x2”x 5”ish. The thickness will be a good test on nitrite getting to the center before being converted by the NaE.

Dry Rub recipe for 3# meat (these were boneless but cut from the butt)

3# x 454= 1362g meat.

Cure #1) 3.4g (.25%)

Salt) 20.43g (1.5%)

Sugar) 10.2g. (.75%)

Baking soda) .68g. (.05%)

NaE) .68g. (.05%)

Granulated garlic and cracked black pepper by eyeball.

Ill let these run 10-12 days for flavor development then smoke them and post a cut shot of the center.

Generally NaE is safe, it’s sodium of vitamin C. However I have used to much before and it created some nitrite burn, which turns the meat a greenish color in those areas.

So my experiment is bagged and in the fridge. I used 3# of CSR. These were 2”x2”x 5”ish. The thickness will be a good test on nitrite getting to the center before being converted by the NaE.

Dry Rub recipe for 3# meat (these were boneless but cut from the butt)

3# x 454= 1362g meat.

Cure #1) 3.4g (.25%)

Salt) 20.43g (1.5%)

Sugar) 10.2g. (.75%)

Baking soda) .68g. (.05%)

NaE) .68g. (.05%)

Granulated garlic and cracked black pepper by eyeball.

Ill let these run 10-12 days for flavor development then smoke them and post a cut shot of the center.
Sounds great. Can't wait to see it! Using the country style ribs is a great idea, cheap and easy to find. Easier to handle than a whole belly. Will you cold smoke or hot smoke? Fry it up like bacon when you're done?

Sounds great. Can't wait to see it! Using the country style ribs is a great idea, cheap and easy to find. Easier to handle than a whole belly. Will you cold smoke or hot smoke? Fry it up like bacon when you're done?
Depends on ambient temps but most likely will finish these on the pellet grill and not in the Smokehouse. I pretty much warm to hot smoke everything because our humidity is very low here and meat dries very fast.

Depends on ambient temps but most likely will finish these on the pellet grill and not in the Smokehouse. I pretty much warm to hot smoke everything because our humidity is very low here and meat dries very fast.
Hi! I kind of forgot about this one for a while, but did the spare ribs seem to come out o.k. with the Cure + NaE dry rub?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky