Editing Older Threads

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
John the OP has been the one in the past that has damaged the threads

I am looking into an option where we can give permissions to let someone edit if they message us. Stay tuned.
Excuse me?
How have I compromised , damaged or made useless this site's data or threads?
Or had my butt up on my shoulders?
This is because of me, this is my own fault?
What?

Last edited:
He's not saying you he's saying it's usually the OP that messes it up

Ok well I am in no way implying that you have or ever would but think what a mess it would be if you got mad and deleted every post you ever made on this site. Think about the mess we'd have to deal with basically going back through every thread to see if we can even fix it. When I say delete what I actually mean is you go in and replace the content with something like this ......
At one time members could go in and delete their posts and because of this problem we stopped that but allowed editing and that's when the dots started showing up.
So far their hasn't been any easy answer hopefully we can find one but in the meantime we can do any editing you need done on older threads.

Ok well I am in no way implying that you have or ever would but think what a mess it would be if you got mad and deleted every post you ever made on this site. Think about the mess we'd have to deal with basically going back through every thread to see if we can even fix it. When I say delete what I actually mean is you go in and replace the content with something like this ......
At one time members could go in and delete their posts and because of this problem we stopped that but allowed editing and that's when the dots started showing up.
So far their hasn't been any easy answer hopefully we can find one but in the meantime we can do any editing you need done on older threads.
I fully understand,
I had to fix hundreds of postings/pics on other sites after the photobucket debacle.

Please know that I'm not that kind of @$$h©√£.
I just answer to the name at times.

Thanks piney

This COVID-19 crap really has people all uptight, this once friendly site is becoming just like the others sites out there. Just get rid of the people causing problems please for the sake of the site.

PS. I'm not a fan of the edit and delete limit at all, they have done this on other sites that I belong too and nothing good has come from it.

Reactions: chilerelleno
John the OP has been the one in the past that has damaged the threads

I am looking into an option where we can give permissions to let someone edit if they message us. Stay tuned.

So Brian, Are you willing to give me permission a couple times a week, nearly every week?
I just realized what this "No editing" does to my "Step by Step" Index that I started 6 years ago.
I'm constantly adding & deleting Links to over 100 Step by Steps that get used a lot by nearly everybody on the Forum.
I even have people asking me questions about some of the Step by Steps, before they even join SMF. I always tell them to join, and if they have a question I can't answer, I explain how they go about asking the question on the Whole Open Forum.
Sometimes I'll add or remove 5 or 6 Links at a time. Now I can't do anything!
Now I can't do a single thing with any of the Step by Steps, or the Index itself.

Bearcarver

Last edited:
So Brian, Are you willing to give me permission a couple times a week, nearly every week?
I just realized what this "No editing" does to my "Step by Step" Index that I started 6 years ago.
I'm constantly adding & deleting Links to over 100 Step by Steps that get used a lot by nearly everybody on the Forum.
I even have people asking me questions about some of the Step by Steps, before they even join SMF. I always tell them to join, and if they have a question I can't answer, I explain how they go about asking the question on the Whole Open Forum.
Sometimes I'll add or remove 5 or 6 Links at a time. Now I can't do anything!
Now I can't do a single thing with any of the Step by Steps, or the Index itself.

Bearcarver
Me too John, I've my recipe index and it needs updating, I'll have to go to a Mod for permission to edit at their convenience.

Last edited:
Hey Chili & Bear, I’m sure they are working on a solution to this problem. I’m no computer programmer, but I can see the issues that they are describing. If either of you need some help, I’m available most of the time, especially since we are still on lockdown. I understand you want to be able to edit your own threads, but until that happens, I’m here to help if you need it.
Al

Hey Chili & Bear, I’m sure they are working on a solution to this problem. I’m no computer programmer, but I can see the issues that they are describing. If either of you need some help, I’m available most of the time, especially since we are still on lockdown. I understand you want to be able to edit your own threads, but until that happens, I’m here to help if you need it.
Al

Thanks Al,
I'll just wait awhile for now. Hopefully I'll be able to get in there & add a few. I have them lined up & ready to insert, but I can't see how I could get somebody else to do that, because of the extra things I do, with each one, when I enter it, and where I put them on all of my sub-lists in there. It's kind of elaborate, and I'm pretty well versed in what I'm doing there. Sometimes I don't got there for a couple weeks, and sometimes 5 or 6 times in a week. Each time is between 15 minutes & 3 hours.
I've been maintaining that Step by Step Index for about 6 years, and it gets a lot of use!!

Bear

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Honestly does it really matter if a few rogue thread starters scramble then delete all of their threads?
If it is a huge problem then the mods need to jump in and squash the O.P's ability of that person or persons to delete all of their posts before it becomes a problem. I moderate a few Xenforo forums sites/ the same operating system/format as this site. And the first thing I see when I log onto them is reported, edited and deleted topics it shows exactly who the forum member is that is editing and deleting threads or posts.
It also has junk forum that can only be viewed by the Admin and Mods so it's easy to keep track of rogue members. And it also has a moderator forum that only admin and mod forum page can view and post in to keep the forums operating team up to date or alerted to situations that arise such as this one. With that being said it would be simple to send the members off a warning shot stating that if they continue to do, so they will be permanently banned from posting on this forum.

I just don't see the need to punish the whole forum for the actions of a few loose cannon posters. Send them down the road and be done with them for good or until they make up another name and join the forum once again under it. I'm getting the feeling that this isn't about a few members at all. It's about keeping the forums Google ad's status at the highest possible level so the forum can make the most Google Ad generated revenue that it can. It is also very simple to make the few people that are doing stuff like this have to wait until their new threads and posts are approved by a mod or admin each time they post. So there are other options instead of penalizing the whole forum for the actions of a few members.

In all honesty, these few people should get a timeout for a few months to think about how/ what they are doing is effecting the whole forum not just them. There are options out there to use to keep people/ things in check besides penalizing the whole forum.

Thanks for reading and good luck.
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly does it really matter if a few rogue thread starters scramble then delete all of their threads?
If it is a huge problem then the mods need to jump in and squash the O.P's ability of that person or persons to delete all of their posts before it becomes a problem.

I just don't see the need to punish the whole forum for the actions of a few loose cannon posters. Send them down the road

In all honesty, these few people should get a timeout for a few months to think about how/ what they are doing is effecting the whole forum not just them. There are options out there to use to keep people/ things in check besides penalizing the whole forum.

I do recall certain previous members deleting portions of their posts when arguments broke out and creating confusion as to what the post was actually about.

I am inclined to agree with Dan. For too many years the actions of a few have affected the abilities and rights of the majority.

I have experienced in the past having to ask permission from a moderator to edit a previous thread and it can be frustrating waiting for the response. Perhaps it was due to the technology at the time but still frustrating.

I understand the reason for this happening but it affects us all not just the culprits who are creating the issue. I hope we can resolve this soon.

Thanks,
John

See I had to edit this post because I screwed up not including Dan's quotes. . .LOL!

Sorry

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: forktender
I think maybe I should explain what I mean by "Sometimes I add Links to my Step by step Index, and sometimes I delete some".
I'm not actually deleting any of my Threads, either in Whole or in Part. What I do is remove the link from my Step by Step Index. It is still on the forum, if you know what words to use in a search, but it will no longer be one of the Threads that are on my Step by Step Index, that so many people tell me they use regularly.

Other than that, or any spelling or grammar I have fixed in the past, I think the only time I ever screwed up a Thread on SMF, was during the first few days after we changed platforms here. I was fixing my pictures that were lost due to the Photobucket Attack, and I screwed up one of my Old threads. I tried to get it back to the way it had been, but I just couldn't figure it out, and it was giving me a freaking headache, so I told Brian Mudd about it, and asked if he could fix it, or just delete the whole thing if that would be easier.
That was years ago, and as far as I know that's the only time I ever messed any thread up.

I don't really pay that much attention to things being deleted, but the only ones I ever noticed are when some guys get disciplined by a Mod, I've seen them get mad & go back and Delete everything they ever posted, before they get Banned.
I never did that, but I guess removing 38,000+ posts would take more time than I'd want to spend to get rid of all the threads I worked so hard to post.

Bear

Reactions: BandCollector
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky