ECA - Insight Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good morning

Would someone be able to share their insights and help me understand encapsulated citric acid (ECA), in regards to cured sausage and/or snack sticks? I’m referring to something as follows:

What are the pros / cons of using this? Are their safety concerns with using it?

Ive heard it mentioned a few times on the Meatgistics podcast, and it seems a little intimidating. Not sure if I just don’t fully understand it, but it sounds like there are some “don’ts” for using it.

Illini40, ECA is a cure accelerator. When you use it you need to go straight into the smoker after stuffing your meat. If you don’t use ECA then after stuffing you should hold the sausage in the fridge overnight in order to let the cure do it’s magic. ECA should not be held overnight in the fridge as the cottonseed that holds the ECA could breakdown and the ECA will mess with your sausage. When smoking the cottonseed that holds the ECA melts between 135-150. When the cottonseed breaks down it releases the ECA . ECA also gives you a nice ”tang”, the best way to describe it is when you eat a good loaf of sourdough bread that taste you get on the back end of the bread is the similar. As far as being safe as long as you use the correct amount when mixing your sausage, all will be good. You also need to add the ECA during the last minute or so of mixing so you don’t break the encapsulation. I’m sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in. I found this on Walton’s that may also help you https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/eca-insight-please.303793/

I think this was the link that johnnyb54 johnnyb54 was trying to post: https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/192/encapsulated-citric-acid

I have been researching this and other pH modifiers extensively recently. Basically, ECA is a hack that mimics the acidification from fermenting which normally would occur in sausage if you added a culture and sugar and held for a specified temp/time. The fermentation of sausage is an art in itself and requires more skill and gear than many possess. ECA allows you to cheat. Another popular hack is fermento or saco buttermilk powder but the effect is not as strong as ECA. While this may change, I don't really feel a large amount of tang is necessary for good sticks or SS.

Reactions: illini40
Illini40, ECA is a cure accelerator. When you use it you need to go straight into the smoker after stuffing your meat. If you don’t use ECA then after stuffing you should hold the sausage in the fridge overnight in order to let the cure do it’s magic. ECA should not be held overnight in the fridge as the cottonseed that holds the ECA could breakdown and the ECA will mess with your sausage. When smoking the cottonseed that holds the ECA melts between 135-150. When the cottonseed breaks down it releases the ECA . ECA also gives you a nice ”tang”, the best way to describe it is when you eat a good loaf of sourdough bread that taste you get on the back end of the bread is the similar. As far as being safe as long as you use the correct amount when mixing your sausage, all will be good. You also need to add the ECA during the last minute or so of mixing so you don’t break the encapsulation. I’m sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in. I found this on Walton’s that may also help you https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/eca-insight-please.303793/
I think this was the link that johnnyb54 johnnyb54 was trying to post: https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/192/encapsulated-citric-acid

I have been researching this and other pH modifiers extensively recently. Basically, ECA is a hack that mimics the acidification from fermenting which normally would occur in sausage if you added a culture and sugar and held for a specified temp/time. The fermentation of sausage is an art in itself and requires more skill and gear than many possess. ECA allows you to cheat. Another popular hack is fermento or saco buttermilk powder but the effect is not as strong as ECA. While this may change, I don't really feel a large amount of tang is necessary for good sticks or SS.

Thank you gentlemen. This is very helpful.

It does not sound near as complex or intimidating as I was thinking.

Just to confirm I’m following everything - the pros are that you can smoke your cured sausage right after mixing/stuffing (rather than holding over night), as well as a traditional “tangy” cured sausage flavor? Sounds like there are really no cons, just if you allow the CA to “release” too early your bind could fall apart (but still be safe to eat)?

Lastly - I do not have a mixer, so I hand mix. Given the importance of when to mix in the ECA, can I still use ECA and hand mix for about a minute before stuffing?

Yes, no rest necessary as the ECA will react with cure and also yes that the bond could weaken. The rest is is what I am interested in. Curious if I can still get away with resting with ECA as I like to rest my SS overnight not for curing but for bringing up to temp and drying. I hand mix too and think as long we don't go nuts and keep it cold we should be fine.

Reactions: illini40
Yes, no rest necessary as the ECA will react with cure and also yes that the bond could weaken. The rest is is what I am interested in. Curious if I can still get away with resting with ECA as I like to rest my SS overnight not for curing but for bringing up to temp and drying. I hand mix too and think as long we don't go nuts and keep it cold we should be fine.
zwille, from what I understand the moisture in the meat may breakdown the encapsulation while resting and release the ECA while in the fridge. I understand that this will result in a grayish product and break the bond. From all that I was taught and read ECA should not be held, be added only in the final minutes of mixing and must go straight in the smoker. I’m sure much more experienced and knowledgeable sausage makers here will chime in on this.

Reactions: zwiller
Totally agree with what you say. I might have to take one for the team and try still. If I don't do that rest the smoke goes awry. Looooong stall/case hardening/18-24hrs smoke.

Totally agree with what you say. I might have to take one for the team and try still. If I don't do that rest the smoke goes awry. Looooong stall/case hardening/18-24hrs smoke.
zwiller, I used to have the same issue with case hardening and the stall. Now I smoke my sausages (summer or whatever) until they reach a internal temp of 140. I then vac seal them and put them in a 165 sous vide bath for a few hours to finish them. I monitor the internal temp with a MEATER+ probe. After the monitored one reaches 165 I usually keep them in the sous vide an additional 1/2hr to an hour to make sure the rest are up to temp.

Reactions: zwiller
zwiller, I used to have the same issue with case hardening and the stall. Now I smoke my sausages (summer or whatever) until they reach a internal temp of 140. I then vac seal them and put them in a 165 sous vide bath for a few hours to finish them. I monitor the internal temp with a MEATER+ probe. After the monitored one reaches 165 I usually keep them in the sous vide an additional 1/2hr to an hour to make sure the rest are up to temp.

johnny, morning.... if you sous vide, try pasteurizing the sausage... you can make them safe to eat at a much lower temperature... NO FAT OUT.. Juicy links.... I pasteurize at ~138F for 1/2 - 1 hour for insurance... that's internal temp of the link....

Temperature Time Temperature Time
°F (°C) (Minutes) °F (°C) (Seconds)
130 (54.4) 112 min 146 (63.3) 169 sec
131 (55.0) 89 min 147 (63.9) 134 sec
132 (55.6) 71 min 148 (64.4) 107 sec
133 (56.1) 56 min 149 (65.0) 85 sec
134 (56.7) 45 min 150 (65.6) 67 sec
135 (57.2) 36 min 151 (66.1) 54 sec
136 (57.8) 28 min 152 (66.7) 43 sec
137 (58.4) 23 min 153 (67.2) 34 sec
138 (58.9) 18 min 154 (67.8) 27 sec
139 (59.5) 15 min 155 (68.3) 22 sec
140 (60.0) 12 min 156 (68.9) 17 sec
141 (60.6) 9 min 157 (69.4) 14 sec
142 (61.1) 8 min 158 (70.0) 0 sec
143 (61.7) 6 min
144 (62.2) 5 min
145 (62.8) 4 min
Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).

ECA..

Encapsulated Citric Acid

Ask a question
Add encapsulated citric acid to your snack sticks or summer sausage to provide that familiar "tangy" flavor found in many cured and dried sausages. Use 16 ounces per 100 lb of meat or 4 ounces per 25 lb of meat. While using this product will not guarantee shelf stability, it can help lower the pH even lower and be very close to shelf stability. Encapsulated citric acid also can act as a nitrite (cure) accelerator so you do NOT have to hold the product overnight in a cooler or refrigerator.

This product does NOT replace sure cure, it can be used in conjunction with sure cure.

Encapsulated Citric Acid
Excalibur Seasoning
Add encapsulated citric acid to your snack sticks or summer sausage to provide that familiar "tangy" flavor found in many cured and dried sausages. Use 16 ounces per 100 lb of meat or 4 ounces per 25 lb of meat. While using this product will not guarantee shelf stability, it can help lower the pH even lower and be very close to shelf stability. Encapsulated citric acid also can act as a nitrite (cure) accelerator so you do NOT have to hold the product overnight in a cooler or refrigerator.

Learn More About Encapsulated Citric Acid In The Walton's Learning Center

Learn about encapsulated citric acid in the Walton's Learning Center and how it works and why you should use it. Plus, join in on the Walton's Community and ask questions about any related to meat.

What is Encapsulated Citric Acid?

Encapsulated citric acid is simply an acidulant that is coated with hydrogenated cottonseed oil, which will melt and dissolve once the heat is applied during cooking. It is used to give the sausage a tangy flavor, by lowering the pH of the meat. It is meant to be a replacement for starter cultures. DON'T BELIEVE IT !!!

Why Does Citric Acid or other Acidulants Need To Be Encapsulated?

When making sausage, it is vital to add an acidulant at the proper point during thermal processing. Adding it directly while mixing, or having the citric acid or other acidulant release at the wrong point can lead to a dry and crumbly sausage, caused by a break down of proteins and the “meat bind” in your product. Encapsulated Citric Acid will release only at 135° or higher to properly release at the correct time during smoking and cooking so it does not alter your sausage’s texture in a negative manner.

How To Use Encapsulated Citric Acid?

1. Do NOT regrind sausage after mixing in encapsulated citric acid
  2. Do NOT hold the product for an extended period of time or save partial batches for further processing later (encapsulate could break or dissolve over time, releasing citric acid at the wrong time)
  3. IF you ignore rules 1 & 2, you can still successfully make and eat your sausage safely and it will be totally edible, but it just won’t have the same or correct end result
  4. Always wait until the last 60 seconds or so of your mixing cycle to add encapsulated citric acid so you don’t over mix or break the encapsulates, and you just need to mix long enough to evenly disperse
  5. During thermal processing, make sure you maintain an internal product temperature of 135° or higher for 1 hour. This will ensure the encapsulate has plenty of time to melt, dissolve, and thus release the citric acid.
  6. Use 4 oz per 25 lb of meat for achieving a product with a pH low enough to potentially be shelf-stable. You may use less than 4 oz though if you do not like as strong of a tangy flavor in your cured meats.
What Are Other Benefits Of Encapsulated Citric Acid?

One of the big benefits that we already covered is a decreased cook time, but we also get some other general benefits of having a lower pH in cured sausages. By lowering the pH of the meat product and increasing the acidity, we will change the flavor of the meat or sausage and give it that tangy flavor many people associate with meat snacks like summer sausage or snack sticks. A lower pH will also help us enhance a meat product’s shelf-life. By reaching a certain pH level, we can attempt to even create a shelf-stable product (shelf-stability can also partially be dependent upon a product’s water activity). Encapsulated Citric Acid is also going to help control bacteria growth, and prevent pathogens or other microorganisms from growing by creating an environment in the sausage that is unfavorable for growth. Lastly, it will also act as a cure accelerator, which decreases the required hold time of a sausage before or during thermal processing, and it speeds up the conversion of nitrites into nitric oxide which is what gives cured meats their pink tinted color and cured meat flavor. If the encapsulation does NOT melt until it reaches 135F, the above statement is BS..
Also, nitrite starts to degrade above 130F...
So, the meat needs time for the nitrite to work... that's what the overnight rest in the refer is for.... And the nitrite is to kill botulism bacteria....

Last edited:
if you sous vide, try pasteurizing the sausage... you can make them safe to eat at a much lower temperature... NO FAT OUT.. Juicy links.... I pasteurize at ~138F for 1/2 - 1 hour for insurance... that's internal temp of the link....

Temperature Time Temperature Time
°F (°C) (Minutes) °F (°C) (Seconds)
130 (54.4) 112 min 146 (63.3) 169 sec
131 (55.0) 89 min 147 (63.9) 134 sec
132 (55.6) 71 min 148 (64.4) 107 sec
133 (56.1) 56 min 149 (65.0) 85 sec
134 (56.7) 45 min 150 (65.6) 67 sec
135 (57.2) 36 min 151 (66.1) 54 sec
136 (57.8) 28 min 152 (66.7) 43 sec
137 (58.4) 23 min 153 (67.2) 34 sec
138 (58.9) 18 min 154 (67.8) 27 sec
139 (59.5) 15 min 155 (68.3) 22 sec
140 (60.0) 12 min 156 (68.9) 17 sec
141 (60.6) 9 min 157 (69.4) 14 sec
142 (61.1) 8 min 158 (70.0) 0 sec
143 (61.7) 6 min
144 (62.2) 5 min
145 (62.8) 4 min
Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).

Thanks Dave, I’ll be making a 20lb. batch of summer sausage for Christmas gifts this week so I don’t want to try something new for that large of a cook. I will give it a try when I make my next batch of kielbasa. I do have a question if you would be so kind to answer. What temp do you smoke your sausages to If you are finishing them at 138? Do you take them up to a certain temp and then sous vide at 138 or just smoke them at a lower temp until you think they have enough smoke flavor? Not being familiar with pasteurizing at 138, I like the texture at 165. Do you see any difference in texture or moisture content finishing them at 138? Thanks

I run my smoker at 110F while adding smoke, then up to 150F and close down the exhaust to about 10% open so it acts like an oven and stops the evaporative cooling of the sausage... With that stopped, the sausage gets up to temp pretty good... Then I take an IT of the links and check their temp... reducing the smoker temp as needed to try not overshoot the sausage temp of 138F... If it goes over, not a big deal because they will not dry out at that low a temp and it will just help in the pasteurization of the links... And I add about an hour to the suggested cook time for insurance....

They are much moister and have better texture at 138.

Last edited:
Summer sausage.... When I make mine, I leave it in the smoker until it dries out a bit.. Exhaust wide open so it will dry.... Then I determine when it's done by gently squeezing the sausage until it gets a firmness I can live with... You do NOT want it too moist... You want it cooked but dried out... Feel those sausage at the store... you may have to buy one to remove the vac sealed wrapping... not all is lost... you can still eat it while having a beer....

Reactions: johnnyb54
I SV'd mine before too and that works and pretty sure that's how the pros do it too. I like the texture on the upper end toward 150F. 135-140 is a little weird and too soft for me.

Back onto the ECA... I just had a thought. ECA is used so that the meat binds first while smoking/cooking and then acid is released. Traditionally a culture is used and fermented BEFORE the smoke/cook. How is this any different than adding say 3% vinegar while mixing.

Not to quibble, but how long do you have to get the sausage up to temp when using ECA before you hit potential for early dispense(?) of the acid? I’ve never used it but will be trying it in a couple of sausages tomorrow or Monday.

Plan is to mix all but ECA today or tomorrow then wake up next morning, add ECA, case, and cold smoke 4 hours or so then move to oven to finish slow. Last time total was 8+ hours to full temp. Is that too long?

Jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky