Easy suggestions for what beef cut to smoke for 4-6 people and how long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reigninbbq

Original poster
May 30, 2014
Hi,

Great forum. I Just got a MES 30 smoker. Made some good baby backs and chicken quarters. Looking to smoke a *beef* cut but only for 4-6 people. Butcher has chuck roasts and I think brisket flats that were only a few pounds. I just want something tasty that is sliced and I want it to smoke quickly (6 or less hours)... I figure a 2 lb chuck or 3 lb flat will cook quicker than than a whole packer. Any suggestions on what cut you think would work or times or recipe for such a small amount of lbs?

Thank you very much for the help. Also, when I set my MES to 275 my MES says is 275, but my digital thermometer i bought says temp is 240 when put in middle of smoker. Is this possible? What can i do to get my MES up to 275... Set it to 310? Is this possible?

Thank you!

Hello.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have, and pictures help a bunch.  As for your question:  the therms that come with smokers are almost always wrong.  Yours in fact isn't bad considering what others have experienced.  Check it several times and if each time it is 35 degrees off the just set the smoker 35 degrees hotter or better yet, only rely on your digital.  As for the cut of meat and a 5-6 hour smoke, chuck roast every time.  Just my opinion.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

I would go with a chuck roast also.  If you can find a little more time, maybe do some faux burnt ends.  Put on some good rub, cook them to about 160, wrap with foil and continue cooking to 205.  Let the meat rest an hour or more, then open it up, cut into cubes, add more rub and BBQ sauce, then back on the smoker in a foil pan for about an hour or two.  Your guests will think you're the chuck roast king!

If ya can afford it and have a good thermo Do a prime rib . ( whole boneless rib eye)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky