Easy Breakfast Sausage Rolls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
20230527_090100.jpg

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Glen and Friends Cooking. Recently he made sausage rolls using puff pastry. I wasn't about to make puff pastry, and when I got to the store I learned they didn't carry it.

As I stood looking at the canned biscuit section, inspiration hit. A cheap can of store brand, flaky, buttery, grand-size biscuits might work.

Saturday morning, time to see if this experiment was worth eating.

Prep time 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grab the bulk sausage from the fridge, or 4 cased sausages, case removed.
Lightly AP flour a work surface.
Make an egg wash with a beaten egg and a tablespoon of water.
Open the can of biscuits.
Dust both side of a biscuit with flour, then roll into a 6-7 inch round.
Place a 3" by 1" round of sausage in the middle of the biscuit round (or half a cased sausage).
Egg wash the edges of the flattened dough.
Fold over and press to seal with your fingers.
Use a fork to crimp the edges.
Place on a half baking sheet prepped with parchment paper.
Repeat 7 more times.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until the internal sausage temp is 165°F.
Rest 5 minutes.
My wife and I both loved this. We each ate two.
Enjoy!

20230527_090545.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great! But you forgot cheese and onion in the sausage.
Serious question: by "egg wash the edges", you mean all surfaces of the rolled-out biscuit, not just the crimped (sealed) edges, right?
I'm also thinking this could work well with the smallish-diameter corn tortillas. I love those cheap cans of flaky biscuits so they don't last long in the 'fridge...but we always have tortillas.
Oh, and did you flip them over during the 18-min bake? Or was up always up?

Reactions: JLeonard
Serious question: by "egg wash the edges", you mean all surfaces of the rolled-out biscuit, not just the crimped (sealed) edges, right?
I used a brush, dipped in the egg wash, then went around the inside edges before folding it over.

Oh, and did you flip them over during the 18-min bake? Or was up always up?
No flipping.

I was going to vent them but forgot. With just the sausage that wasn't a problem. If adding cheese and onion like you mentioned, I'd definitely vent.

Reactions: bill1 and JLeonard
Thats a great quick breakfast idea. And thinking some scrambled eggs and cheese would work also. Ah the options that arise.

Jim

Reactions: noboundaries
Thats a great quick breakfast idea. And thinking some scrambled eggs and cheese would work also. Ah the options that arise.

Jim
Yep, lots if ideas. The grand-size butter-flaky biscuits could probably be rolled out to 8" which could hold more stuffing. Get creative.

Everyone, post yours if you make them.

Ray

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds and looks great! Sounds like another great and simple breakfast.

Ryan
Ryan, I had no idea if it would work, but saw no reason it wouldn't. Pretty easy. It actually turned out better than I expected.

Would probably be a fun family task. One to roll the dough. Another to place the filler. Another to egg wash the edges. Another to fold, seal, and crimp. And the last to place on the baking sheet. Now THAT'S a simple memory maker for when my grandkids are old enough!

Talk about a time saver!
Once I figured out that the bottom cut the circle , it worked great . I was getting to much dough in it and it wasn't working .
Probably not needed , but when your kids think of you while shopping and come home with gifts you should use it .
I got it figured out now . Think I'll do something tomorrow . Thanks for the motivation .
I was thinking about making mustard too . Need to find that thread .

Reactions: noboundaries
Per Ray's 11:23 post yesterday, here's my quickie attempt this morning at reproducing Ray's masterpiece but with mods...
IMG_1867.jpg

Ingredients-in-a-pic: note less-than-gourmet sausage choices. And large tortillas instead of biscuits. Original plan was to make one trial "pastry" using double-wrapped tortillas. At least I had Ray's signature "pepper coffee" to steel my nerves.
IMG_1868.jpg

Here's my last pretty picture before things started going off the rails. I'd intended to put half of Ray's egg wash into the "meatloaf" but the chorizo made everything too runny. And it was looking clear that I needed to make two of these instead of one trial so, since I'd put the tortillas away, I changed to one tortilla per "pastry".
IMG_1870.jpg

Loading these became a mess. I wasn't about to waste any egg wash given the price of eggs. Plus, it's gluing properties of the wrapped tortilla wasn't as good as I'd hoped so they went into the oven leaky side down. This was about 5 minutes into the 18 minute 325F bake and it's clear the egg wash is becoming a bath.
IMG_1871.jpg

I flipped them at 8 minutes. They're looking really ugly at this point but at least I can show off what may be a child's toy spatula, but it's one of my fave kitchen tools. Things started looking plenty brown at 12 mins so I covered with a sheet of foil for the last 6mins.
IMG_1872.jpg

Here's the obligatory SMF plated pic. Sausage that reduces (or sautees the onion) when cooked/fried in a pan becomes a runny mess when baked in the oven. At the time I thought these looked so bad I'd throw in one of last night's leftover porkchops which still looks pretty good wrapped in cellophane! Still, Bless this food, Lord, Amen.
But--bottom line--they tasted fantastic so in hindsight this pic now looks pretty good too! The egg really does add a pastry quality to what might still appear, to the untrained eye, like a breakfast burrito. :emoji_sunglasses: The major Lesson Learned for me is to NOT add milk to the beaten egg. I needed to make the egg wash into more of an egg paint.
As one last datum supporting tortillas as pastry crust, I'll note that the calorie count for these tortillas is given as 170 cals (actually kcals...whatever) which is identical in value to a Great Value biscuit (in the 8-roll) which I do still want to try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky