Easter Andouille?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Family had Easter today, made a big pot of Shrimp & Crab gumbo. Everyone this year is doing the in-laws Hey, fair is fair. But my sister decided to tell me Thursday night that everyone was gonna show today. Basically they were bringing the new great grand baby from last weekend so Pop could see her. Thursday I had all ready made the andouille, cut the meat, done the spices and cures and put in the reefer over night. So it got an extra day........ Tomorrow I have a ham for a twice smoked project for the house and then I'll smoke the andouille.

Sooooooo............ I stuffed it tonight and was berry berry happy. Right size, right casing, I used spices for 10# on only 8 pounds of Chopped pork loin. I added and extra tsp. of crushed garlic as well as one of black pepper corns I had cracked. Smells totally awesome!

Better pictures.

Only had one blow out.... and I found it while cleaning and washing before loading the tube!

We'll see what they look like tomorrow. But tonight the smell...... I feel like a proud father! I bet I could sell those puppies and break even too! LOL

If I can only remember and do all the right things tomorrow. AND twice baked ham...... Oh my, I am gonna have to buy a vacc sealer......LOL

Last edited:
Looks great. You will love the twice smoked ham.

I had a hard decision between that and curing my own ham.

Some great looking sausage! You would do more than break even on them right from this forum if you would accept Pay Pal. Like Adam said "you'll love the twice smoked ham" Happy Easter if I don't hear from you.

Hey Kevin,

That andouille looks great!
yahoo.gif

What an amazing weekend of cooking: shrimp and crab gumbo, smoked andouille, twice-smoked ham.  Yum!  It all sounds delicious and no doubt smells even better.  

Are you planning to smoke and fully cook these andouille, or smoke them and leave them par-cooked?  I seem to remember from an earlier sausage thread of yours that you like to finish the cooking up in your final dish.  

Hope you have a great day tomorrow filled with wonderful smoky food!!  Thanks for posting!

Clarissa

I am definitely not going to cook it, Thinking about a 1 hour dry, then maybe a 3 hour warm smoke. Or since the ham will have priority, maybe just leave it till it hits about 125/130 pull and back in the reefer and do some more later.

I am also thinking about a different way to do the twice smoked ham. Thinking about trying a 3/2/1 method since it will get excellent smoke anyway and the foiled portion would no doubt really make the ham tender & juicy. Then glaze the last hour and firm up. The more I am thinking about this the more I am liking the idea.

I got to thinking last time I pulled a ham at 145 I just didn't like the texture that much, first meat I didn't like at the minimum safe temp. Kinda would like a bit of that fat to brown up. I am just thinking out loud.. 

How did you get them to stick to the wall like that............................................

Here we go.........

Dried a 250 with the vent full open and the door cracked for an hour.

Smoked at 130 for an hour, 135 for an hour, 140 for an hour, Highest was 133 IT.

I swapped racks around, I found and it only makes sense, that the top rack cooked quickly.

I did not go to 150 IT, but the sausages went from soft and flexible to firm and mostly unyielding. Again I am afraid I may have over done it. I just can't pull anything out the smoker while the pecan is still smoking.... 

And into the reefer to chill.

Tomorrow we'll cut one and see how we did.

BTW I didn't cook the ham today, we did Easter yesterday and I spent all day today cleaning up from that as well as some chores around the house. So after processing 20# of chicken hind quarters instead of making broth with the bits and pieces, we had chicken & dumplin's !!

I'll get to it. Dang and its too late already for a nap........ sheeeesh!

Some great looking sausage! You would do more than break even on them right from this forum if you would accept Pay Pal. Like Adam said "you'll love the twice smoked ham" Happy Easter if I don't hear from you.
The last one was no where as good as the first. Thank you Sir, and to you and yours as well.

That gumbo sounds great & that Andouille looks very, very tasty ! Awesome Foam, your gonna have some good eatin there ! :sausage:

Sorry, I had just thrown the andouille in the reefer and pretty much forgotten it till then morning when I opened the door and that smell had permeated the Ziploc! That's one fine smelling reefer. Just a heads up that I always remember after the fact. Andouille is a cured meat You knew that so did I, but all cured meats benefit from age. Its that smoothing process that mellows them out, actually I think its the opposite, its bring additions smell and taste. What ever it is, Andouille definitely prospers from it!

Here's some Bear View with the flash,

AND without the flash!

If I didn't mention it, I can't wait to try it. I have made it in the past with butts. This time I got a good price on loins. I can tell a difference in the fat immediately and I noticed the meat more firm after curing due to the tighter density of the loin.

I made shorter links also. Because one of the above links its enough for a large pot, 1/2 is what I'll most likely use. No sense having a huge link continuously being cut on rolling around in the freezer.

Anywho........ That's it for another andouille escapade! Thanks for looking in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky