Eager to get Started!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nicholas2335

Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Hi,

My wife and I just bought a MES 30in for our anniversary. My first smoker but I wanted to dive in right away!

I smoked two pork tenderloins already twice. They were not quite as tender as I was expecting but no telling what I did wrong. 

Also, I think my wife and I are still finding out exactly how much "smoke" taste we like. I used hickory chips and then I read that generally the hardwoods give a stronger smoke flavor than the fruits and nuts so I will try that on my next smoke. 

Of course I have all sorts of questions but I have been reading this forum for a couple of days now and I think I have a strategy

for my first Boston butt smoke!

Thanks ahead of time for all the help! Happy to become part of the addiction!

Welcome to the forum. You and your wife got a smoker for your anniversary? Wow, she's a keeper! Good advice from Tropics above. Good luck on future smokes, David.

Welcome to the board! Use the Search to look your smoker and see how people use them.

I suggest you experiment with smoking chicken pieces because they're inexpensive and relatively quick to cook. That way, you can learn what smoke(s) you like the best, and the quirks of your smoker.

Many here suggest that you keep a log book of your methods and circumstances, so if you hit on a combination that you love, you'd be better able to duplicate it.

Pork loin tends to be a dry (lean) cut. Pork butt has more juice but you need to cook it sufficiently - look up "the stall" to get an explanation.

Have fun learning!

Welcome to the forum.  We are all anxious to see smoke coming from our new smoker, it is fun and exciting.  Now is the time to learn what is happening while you are doing your cooks.  

Take some time and learn the basics and you will be able to answer many of your own questions.

The following with the accompanying links will help you get off to a good start.

New to smoking or have a new smoker? -- "How to optimize your smoke"

Tom

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy and drying out day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Good idea about the log.  

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You and your wife got a smoker for your anniversary? Wow, she's a keeper! Good advice from Tropics above. Good luck on future smokes, David.
Yep! Relatives always bragging about their smoked meat. So, we wanted to learn ourselves! 
thumb1.gif

Congrats on the smoker Pork loins are real lean They will get dry pretty quick, you have to watch the temps and not over cook.

A pork Butt  will be a longer cook, but hard to screw up, and Pulled pork is one of my favorite things

Gary

One other thing, You don't want the relatives showing you up   Set the bar high

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky